PDA

View Full Version : Children's Book

danVulanovic
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Hello, I'm new to ArtRage and art in general. I wrote a children's book and was looking to illustrate it. After looking at open source solutions I came across ArtRage Studio Pro, fell in love with the software and the amazingly competitive price(needs to be noted and applauded!).

You can see the whole book in my gallery: members.artrage.com/gallery_images/21201
(need to all http at the beginning since forum filters it out)

Thanks,
Dan

D Akey
12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Congratulations! Very cool message. Bet you have a great sense of accomplishment.

Igor looks a little like Zack from Saved By The Bell, heh, though the personality is more like a mentor. Very cool.

Here's a link for anyone wanting to see the book. I've been around so long I can get away with the whole address. ;)

http://members.artrage.com/gallery_images/21201

danVulanovic
12-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty happy with the book. Never thought I'd be writing kid's books, it's crazy what having kids can do to you!

limey-g
12-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Nice job on the illustrations , it must be great to have the talent to write plus being able to do the illustrations also.
Geoff

danVulanovic
12-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Hey Geoff, Thanks for the compliment... but in all honesty, when it comes to drawing, I have close to zero innate talent.

I've always wanted to be able to draw, so I made an apple app (Poseable) to help me learn anatomy and such. When it came to this book I used it to block out every shot then drew and erased over them until I liked the result (as I progressed I did get more proficient). My first illustration probably took me 7 hours, by the end I got down to around 2.

It took me two weeks to write the book, then 4 months to draw it! I'm going to be releasing an instructable showing how I worked through illustrating the book. Not so much on the drawing, more on the entire process.

justjean
12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I enjoyed reading the story and the illustrations are great also

Bobbyray
12-08-2012, 02:58 AM
danVulanovic

Perhaps you want to include this in our ArtRageUS Magazine: Ragers Bookshelf section? It's free.

[email protected] (http://[email protected])

grayflo
12-08-2012, 05:34 AM
You said: "I'm going to be releasing an instructable showing how I worked through illustrating the book. Not so much on the drawing, more on the entire process."

I'd love it if you could explain more about how Poseable works, but also, the process you use when planning and executing your book. This is fascinating and I love what you have shown us already on this thread.

grayflo
12-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Dan, did you develop this app, Poseable? It looks really great. Just like the old wooden mannequins, only updated for the digital era. I looked at the users' manual. The controls seem complex to my non-computery brain, but maybe I should play with the free version first.
This could be a huge help to my friend and I who will be collaborating on a book with illustrations.

pat1940
12-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for sharing and what great work on your book, cant wait to see more

danVulanovic
12-09-2012, 03:50 AM
grayflo: Ya, I developed Poseable. I did it to help me learn art, but since programming is/was my profession I go side tracked with it and kept plugging away at it without using it much. So when my book came along it was like a perfect fit. Then once I really started using it as a user I started to notice all the shortcomings. As a programming I was just thinking about adding features, but not really focusing on real world use.

I still think it's a decent app, worth 1.99, and the easiest way for me to block out simple scenes, but the user interface really bogs down with any scene that's even moderately complex. That's my honest take. I need to re-work the entire user interface. That said, a lot of people really like it. After playing around with it you might find it fits you nicely, but if you don't, I wouldn't hold it against you!

As for the instructable, I'll pass it along to you when I finish it up. There's nothing rock-science in it, but for me, step-by-step tutorials really help fill in the blanks when tackling something new. Hopefully you'll like it.

Dan

danVulanovic
12-09-2012, 04:07 AM
danVulanovic

Perhaps you want to include this in our ArtRageUS Magazine: Ragers Bookshelf section? It's free.

Sounds great, I'll send you an email.

Dan

Fashmir
12-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Very cool to see your process and results. I admire people who can develop their own tools for creation. This is a great way to set up human figures in poses for believable anatomy and interaction. Thanks for sharing this with us.

damasocl
12-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Congratulations!...
Your paintings are wonderful, and very well done.

Later I`ll take a look your book.

danVulanovic
12-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks everyone, for your supportive comments!

Dan

danbeckemeyer
12-11-2012, 03:46 AM
I think the fact that you utilized a seemingly unrelated talent to help you over the struggle of learning how to draw is downright applaudable. To cut your illustration time down to a third is a a great accomplishment. As a kid, I always rolled my eyes when hearing "Practice makes perfect", but now I just put my foot in my mouth.. :rolleyes:

Great work!

danVulanovic
12-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi All,

One person expressed interest... Here is a link to the instructable detailing how I went about creating my ebook.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Creating-an-Illustrated-eBook/

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

grayflo
12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the instructable link, Dan.
You have pout hours into explaining and illustrating the process of building the book. Both writing and illustrating are covered, and then the formatting for e-publishing.
The Instructable is a massive piece of work, and so clearly explained. Many thanks!

D Akey
12-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah, that instructable is a lot of work and would be most helpful to people getting their feet wet trying to put something together themselves. Nice assist! And again quite an accomplishment. Hope it gets you lots of notice.

danVulanovic
12-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Your compliments are very much appreciated.

Dan