PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Sea Warbler

Boxy
10-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Hello ragers!
I seem to have got into the habit of celebrating each Autumn with a painting. This year things went inexplicably surreal. Don't even ask, I have no idea. :D Although I quite like the idea of presenting mythical creatures in this way. Next up, medieval dogheads!
Happy Autumn, thanks for looking.
Sav

http://www.boxy.co.uk/uploads/AutumnSeaWarbler.jpg

jibes
10-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Good'n Boxy! Looks like a mean little critter. Like a flying fish with fangs. :D Very well done!

Boxy
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks Jibes, much appreciated.
Cheers

Caesar
10-26-2012, 08:57 PM
This critter is a fantastic creation of Your fantasy and I absolutely love the style, credibility and the atmospheres of your reduced-chroma imaginary world.

D Akey
10-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Love it. Very fun vision very well realized.

Boxy
10-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words Caesar and DAkey! :)

Evil Robot
10-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I love it! Looks like a puffer fish mated with a canary. Great work.

Boxy
10-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks! I love that description. :)

coops
10-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Boxy you never disappoint with your paintings, I always know that I am in for a treat and this one is perfect, sooooooooooooo amusing and brilliantly painted:(

Boxy
10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Coops.:)

sabena
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Wow Boxi

Just fantastic painting i apreciate very much:rolleyes:

gxhpainter2
10-29-2012, 04:38 AM
brilliantly painted and cleverly realized humor... it reminds of of the rich naturalist plates done in England in the 1800's ...

Boxy
10-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Thanks Sabena!
gxhpainter - thank you and exactly! As the doodle progressed it began to remind me of just those kind of plates, so I went with it. :)
Cheers

silvy
10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
I love it:D:D:D

Boxy
10-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks Silvia!

limey-g
10-30-2012, 06:01 AM
I really like this, so different but very eye catching.
Geoff

Strandy
10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Your 'in painting' description makes even hard core zoologists familiar with this animal. They wouldn't find him surreal but beautiful.

Boxy
10-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks Limey g and Strandy. :) Strandy that was also my thinking. I've always been fascinated by creatures of legend and how we humans were convinced of their existence at various periods in history. A good example is the earlier mentioned medieval dog head; a bit of me would love to believe they really do live in that part of the world which contemporary maps label, 'here be monsters.'
Another good example - dinosaurs. The Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_Dinosaurs) dinosaurs were conceived by honoured scientists whose opinions were irrefutable, and yet even today we are questioning whether our most recent view of supposedly well known critters is actually correct.
So the little description was written as though a person of science, convinced by witness sightings and with no reason to doubt them, documents the creature in a book of classification. Its a nice idea, one for the 'would like to expand time permitting' pile. :)

GremlinMo
11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
if evolution has it's way this is what i'd love to see a fish mixed with a bird...just awesome ,it has character well done :)

Boxy
11-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks gremlinMo! We have an abundance of cormorants here and I often watch them diving for food. They stay under for so long. Given a few hundred millenia I reckon they're on the way to becoming both! :)

Vladislav
11-06-2012, 02:53 AM
A-ha-ha! Ridiculous!

javier
11-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Excellent work, usually the worst scribble out the best paintings.

byroncallas
11-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks Limey g and Strandy. :) Strandy that was also my thinking. I've always been fascinated by creatures of legend and how we humans were convinced of their existence at various periods in history. A good example is the earlier mentioned medieval dog head; a bit of me would love to believe they really do live in that part of the world which contemporary maps label, 'here be monsters.'
Another good example - dinosaurs. The Crystal Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_Dinosaurs) dinosaurs were conceived by honoured scientists whose opinions were irrefutable, and yet even today we are questioning whether our most recent view of supposedly well known critters is actually correct.
So the little description was written as though a person of science, convinced by witness sightings and with no reason to doubt them, documents the creature in a book of classification. Its a nice idea, one for the 'would like to expand time permitting' pile. :)

Excellent Sav. You've an idea here for an entirel book. Wonderful. :D:D:D