PDA

View Full Version : Gladiators of Rome

Caesar
10-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Today October the 18th, a new Italian animation movie (3D) is out in all cinemas over here, for kids (and grown people as well). It's entitled "Gladiatori di Roma", Gladiators of Rome (not that different, isn't it? :D).
The new company creating it is in Rome and already animated a movie with the Winx, another national glory and international success both as dolls and as cartoons. I hope some of You, having little girls, know them.
Here's one of the feminine characters of such a story.

D Akey
10-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Many swords would raise in tribute to this champion gladiator, but it would be criminal to do her harm even for the pleasure of the other Caesar. ;););)

Fun image. Sorta twisted. She thrives in business in my town, I dare say. Hahaha.

GRSArts
10-19-2012, 10:05 AM
I can see why this gladiator would win.

Caesar
10-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Dear D Akey, sword raising would be for greeting and paying due resepct in this case and I think opponents would rather use the rethiarius net to fish such a mermaid (without the trident of course). LOL:D
Anyway although Roman women had much more consideration, freedom and rights than anywhere else in that age, I doubt that it ever existed a gladiator(ess) or any professionally fighting one, but You know, in today's movies You have to always keep a mixed character composition compliant to a "politically correct" principle, therefore You may even find a Viking looking like a Nubian, a lady playing the macho in gentlemen toilettes or arabian girl playing a geisha role ... LOL:D What's for sure is that the Roman Empire, and Rome in particular, was also a unique melting pot and merge of nations and cultures and You could find an amazingly multi-ethnical population for that age. Thank You!

Thank You, dear GRSArts! Right! It would have been pretty hard to keep concentraed in front of such a charming opponent. LOL:D

pat1940
10-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Caesar, this is a fantastic piece, you have really given us the feel of her armour, the thickness makes it stand out from the body, you always do so well at this, really like this a lot

limey-g
10-20-2012, 03:15 AM
I guess she does not need much armour, the sight of her curves would bring the enemy to defeat, well done my friend.
Geoff

markw
10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Indeed there were such things as female gladiators Cesar. So do feel free to paint some more!
The marble relief is in the British Museum and the statue is in the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbein, Hamburg.

semd74
10-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Caesar, this is very well done...A fine painting !!

gxhpainter2
10-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Caesar... I surrender!....I am too distracted and put up much resistance... excellent work especially the smirking smile...:cool::cool:

Caesar
10-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Thank You, dear Pat! Still not too close to a real 3-D like and perfect rendering though.

Curves are dangerous not only for drivers, dear Geoff! Thank You.

You're right, dear Markw, thank You! Actually there are also some written and archaelogical evidence to support what You say, even if most scholars think gladiatrices were more rare, perhaps a special show and a curiosity. They didn't fight against men as far as I know though, they usually fought among themselves (like for the Olympics today) or against dwarves and often with naked breast rather than armoured (as You also showed). So it was probably a top event (they seem to enter arena at evening) but also a somehow side entertainment (there's no cited gladiatrix superstar as it happened with some gladiator superstar as far as I know) and I tend to believe it was the ancient version of women wrestling or mudfighting. After all the Greek and Roman mythology narrated of women warriors (the amazons) and fighting and hunting goddesses even if ordinary women (especially the Greek ones, practically rightless and enclosed at home) didn't practice those disciplines.

Thank You, dear Steve! I'm less for still lives, as You can see! LOL:D

Dear Gary, I thought (and hoped ) her smile was for me, but I soon realised that it was directed the young, handsome protagonist.:( LOL:D Thank You!
My next target .... Halloween, as a gift to all US, british and anglo-saxon people still celebrating this celtic-rooted event, now commercially exported too to make money with additional parties and costumes.;)

coops
10-21-2012, 05:52 AM
I think this is great Cesare and I love the all knowing look on her face:)

Caesar
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Thank You, dear Katie! Only feminine intuition and understanding can legitimately display that type of smile I think!

Evil Robot
10-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Wow, great image. It reminds me a lot of the old Elf Quest comic books.

Arjen Vriezekolk
10-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi Ceasar,

Great illustration! love the depth and perspective...... And the girl too!!

Arjen

Caesar
10-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Thank You, dear Evilrobot! I went to see what the ElfQuest comics looked like and I see the character style relationship. Wonderful new Avatar, BTW!

Maybe she could be inspiring should You go backward in time from middle age knights to ancient times for a comics, dear Arjen. Thank You!

kenmo
10-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Hail Caesar...Wow...excellent art as always.... :D

Caesar
10-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Glad to see Your Avatar pop out back in here, dear Kenmo! How do you do? Thank you and see some new wonderful artwork by You too hopefully soon!

asahiart
01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I do not know about the film but love the illustration

eighty+
01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
.......Hail O Caesar O Mighty One chio, good to see your back :p :D Missed yuh :rolleyes: had nobody to give me stick :eek: and answer's with a Full page Dialogue which I'm

..... still trying to understand :D :D and those colourfull Pic; you always seem io be able to find :) and of course not forgetting your bevy of Beauties ;) :cool: More More :D

......... SLAINTE ( Irish ) ............ STATTE BBONE ( :confused: ) Si Si :cool: :cool:

sabena
01-13-2013, 08:23 AM
hi Caeser your work is unique i like very much your style. With this style you have a story like " asterix " :cool:

Mairzie Dotes
01-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Caesar,
This is a really well painted illustration. The soft background amplifies
the attention to details work of this "I dare ya" gladiator. The shading
and combatant attire design is quite impressive and it also seems evident
that she appropriately well arms herself in ah ... all of the battle ready
right places. ;) :D

justjean
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
She looks like shes ready to take on the world,great drawing and painting as always Caesar :)