PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress Monkeys. iPad.

Saphire
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Work in progress Monkeys.

limey-g
10-18-2012, 12:10 AM
This one looks like quite a Challenge Christine ,what with all that coat, should be interesting watching the progression.
Geoff

Saphire
10-21-2012, 03:25 AM
A bit more done on the head, the difficult part is doing the creases around the eyes and blending the fur on the face.

limey-g
10-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Quite amazing Christine, you sure must spend hours to get things so perfect.
Geoff

Saphire
10-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Thank you Geoff, this one is a challenge, trying to get the stubble and the small creases to blend with the features is hard. I have found instead of using the blur tool which won't go soft enough. I am trying with a very opaque airbrush and going over the top with the skin colour until the lines are just visible.

ENCHANTER
10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Excellent start, keep going!

copespeak
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe rough up your canvas a bit, use the pencil and get a bit of soft scribbly stuff happening, to get rid of that totally smooth skin. You can always pat it down with the blender on low pressure. Also, I select the shadowed area (with hair and all) and adjust layers> Darken, then blend. You get that 3D effect with all the lovely shadows. His eyes are beautiful! :0)

Saphire
10-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the tip codespeak I will have a go at that, any help is much appreciated.

Saphire
10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Codespeak I have been trying out what you suggested but can't get it right on the iPad, I can do what you suggest in ArtRage 3 on the PC by having a diferent canvas for each layer but not on the ipad, I have tried changing the canvas to rough and the features look great but then the fur looks terrible it gets lost in the grain, I can't seem to get that happy medium. Do you have any other suggestions.

copespeak
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
(Copespeak - Robyn) I don't have an iPad, so am not sure what the differences are. The hair probably can stay the same settings as you have that working for you, so leave that on a separate layer. For the skin I would still raise the roughness levels a little, just to get that random skin texture. For the shading I talked about, drop your feathering down to zero as AR will leave far too little control otherwise. That really works!! Experiment and see what works for you, and leave a duplicate copy underneath turned off so you can revert anything that doesn't suit!

Saphire
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Thank you Robyn, there are lots of features in the PC version that aren't available on the iPad so there is lots of adapting to do. You can't have a different canvas for each layer as in the pc version, or feather the tools you only have pressure and opacity to play with. If there was some sort of splatter tool then I would have a bit more control.
I do keep each sections on different layers but if I have to many layers the program can crash. I have a seperate layer for the faces so can play with that layer only, the best I can come up with is using the oil brush then the palette knife on a wet frosted effect. I will keep trying as I also think the faces need a more leathery texture.

copespeak
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm wondering whether you can keep your rough canvas all the way through and then use your fine ink pen for the hairs? Alternately, can you change your canvas settings backwards and forwards? Or, if that can't be done, can you do the face but not your hairs, export the finshed face and import it back in to work on?

Not knowing iPads, I'm not sure what's possible.

I have enclosed some close-up sections of a possum I did recently. They have a rich, dense coat, so leave a bit of leeway on how you build the hairs. But, remember, unless you are printing very large, a finished print will not show every tiny detail.

Saphire
10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Robyn the painting looks brilliant they have lots of depth to them, it's figuring how to achieve that on the iPad while still using the ink pen. I think you may have come up with a great idea though and that is to do the parts that need rough, save and then import onto a layer.
The iPad version of Artrage does a fantastic job in mimicking all the tools of the pc version considering the lack of memory, I love being able to just sit back in an armchair painting rather then sitting at the main PC. I have taken two screen shots one with the canvas on which give the face a more rugged look but loses the fur and one with the canvas off.

copespeak
10-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I think you are so clever to do what you do on your iPad. I had an Android tablet for a short time, but sold it when I couldn't get Art Rage on it and migrated to a 12.1 tablet PC. I know how difficult it is to use those stylus and your fingers. There's always a bit of a lag, and I get that with mine. All those fine hairs you do!

I like the canvas on for his skin. Can you combine the two by exporting the face and importing it back in and combining it with the hair with canvas off? And, keep the eyes smooth?

Just another nutty idea!

I'll watch with interest for your next installment. :0)

Saphire
11-01-2012, 01:00 AM
This one is done with the face added from a screen capture of the layer with rough canvas, i then erased all the unecessary areas. Tell me if you think t better.

Saphire
11-01-2012, 05:00 AM
More done.

limey-g
11-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Oh my all those brush strokes you will be wearing iPad out. Seriously it looks wonderful can't wait to see the final version.
Geoff

Saphire
11-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Thank you Geoff, there is a lot of strokes, lol! I have had to remove my screen protector it was so scratched everything was looking very frosty, I will put a new one on as soon as it comes. The adonit head is plastic so there is a bit of friction with the screen protecter on, plastic on plastic. I know it wont scratch the main screen because that is glass but don't feel secure using it naked.
Robyn came up with a great idea in saving a jpg of just the faces with the rough canvas, it works a treat hopefully i don't need to edit them again because i would lose the rough look in the skin if I do.

copespeak
11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Well done! It looks absolutely brilliant! I'll watch with interest. We're off on holidays for a few days this morning, but hopefully I can get reception each day. :0)

Saphire
11-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Thank you Robyn, have a good break, you are up with the early birds;)

Saphire
11-10-2012, 05:27 AM
I think I have neary finished, I need to work a bit more on the hand it looks wrong.

limey-g
11-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Looking good Christine, that sure is a tremendous amount of work.
Geoff

Saphire
11-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Thank you Geoff, looking at it on here I can see a few more areas that need sorting out.

copespeak
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Good work! I always find when I post something online, I can see all those little glitches not so obvious beforehand.

Saphire
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Thank you codespeak, I am still having problems with the hand, I am trying to do it from memory as it doesn't show on the photo. I have left that area for now and have done quite a bit of editing on other parts which I noticed needed more work.

copespeak
11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I wonder whether your hand isn't showing the knuckles sticking up at the top right resting on the arm. It seems that maybe it's a bit flat?? Robyn

Saphire
11-14-2012, 12:59 PM
This is what showing on the bottom of the photo, I think there is a foot which i decided to cut out I have extended the right arm to replace it. Unfortunately I am having difficulty seeing it and piecing it together with the bottom half of the photo being busy with to much going on.

copespeak
11-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I cranked the hand up big time in Photoshop, and then did a red trace for where I could see the outline. Hope that helps. xx

Saphire
11-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Thank you codespeak I can see it much better with the outline, I get so frustrated with myself when I can't make something out. :mad:

Rowena
11-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Great work!!! :D:D

..I cant for the life of me remember how to do a screen grab on the iPad?

Saphire
11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Great work!!! :D:D

..I cant for the life of me remember how to do a screen grab on the iPad?

Rowena you press the home button with the on off button to get a screen capture, it puts the screen capture into the camera roll.

Saphire
11-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks to codespeak doing a great outline for the hand I think I may have finished. I will leave it now for a few days and come back to it to have another look, just to make sure before posting in my gallery.

copespeak
11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Christine, it's 'copespeak' ..... a combination of a bit of my partner's surname (Copelin), and the fact we live on the peak of a big hill. I don't know why I chose that, as my other common username is far nicer. Homage to him maybe... and yes, he's still alive, very much so!

Your monkey's hand looks great. Probably just some more shading on that arm, and they're really sweeties! Good project. xx

Saphire
11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
So sorry Robyn (copespeak), I have only just noticed I have been spelling it wrong all along and putting a d where a p should be.:o.
Thank you for your input, in a couple off days I will probably see loads more that needs a little more tweaking.;)

copespeak
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
No apologies necessary Christine. What's in a name?

Saphire
11-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Lots off subtle shading done on a seperate layer.

limey-g
11-18-2012, 02:41 AM
An excellent piece of work Christine and the finished result certainly was worth all your hard work.
Well done.
Geoff

Saphire
11-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Thank you Geoff, I am very pleased with getting the faces right on this one. I have learnt loads. On the iPad you can't have a diferent canvas texture for each layer like you can on the PC, Copespeaks suggestion on saving the faces with high texture then importing as a layer worked brilliantly.

On now to my next project :D:D

copespeak
11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Looks Great! We had fun, didn't we? xx

Saphire
11-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks again Robyn for your help, I couldn't see any way around in getting the canvas texture on a seperate layer and you came up with a brilliant idea. It would have been so easy to do the painting on the Mac without the limitations but I love my ipad, I can just sit and relax while creating, its a lovely feeling.

mochuelin
11-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Like a lot!!! great result, great work!!! you inspire me.