PDA

View Full Version : Living gallery of style studies from famous artists

Caesar
10-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm trying to learn some other interesting styles or approaches by reproducing some famous artists.
Here the first two with the references below. They were both fast enough to sketch, since I tried to keep all fresh, spontaneous and far from a pedantic perfect reproduction.

pat1940
10-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Caesar, this is a great study and very well done, I have learned so much from trying to do a copy, so every now and then I take something from the web and copy and or use as a reference and change it
to make it my own, these ones that you did are so impressive

coops
10-09-2012, 07:08 AM
These are great and a great learning curve. Well done Cesare:)

gxhpainter2
10-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Caesar... these truly amaze me...I love the studies and the great craftsmanship shown in them really talented and excellent work :cool::):)

semd74
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Well done Caesar...interesting studies

Caesar
10-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Thank You all, dear mates! More to come soon I think. Just trying to see how many styles may be simulated in a good enough way within a rasonably limited time and without a complex planning and pedantic procedure.

silvy
10-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Molto belli e interessanti. Mi piace particolarmente l'acquerello:D

Caesar
10-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Here's the third sketch and its reference.
Grazie, cara Silvia!

gxhpainter2
10-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Caesar..such a beauty and nicely done!...:cool::cool::o:o

suffolkgal
10-10-2012, 05:39 AM
These are all wonderfully done, the last one really stands out for me :)

Ali

copespeak
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
All are terrific, and the last one is truly exceptional.

Caesar
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Dear Gary, it's interesting to see how differently You may render a figure and make it pop out with descriptive touches and outlining tricks. So far I used one layer only for each of them except the watercolor (just so as not to dilute into water the pencil/ ink pen traits).

Thank You, dear Ali. Actually, to keep into a limited timeframe these sketched copies, I didn't enlarge the sheet while drawing or painting, so as to keep an overall view and keep all under control, thus using quite spontaneous, synthetic touches to give the right descriptive impression without getting caught by details and photocopy precision syndromes.

Thank you, dear Copespeak. Coming from an artist like You, it's a really flattering compliment indeed!

Caesar
10-12-2012, 01:32 AM
One more with pencil and chalk. This time I went on for a longr time to see if the emulation accuracy could be pushed furtherly. Considering it was made on one layer and a size and resolution of the sheet quite low, I think this style isn't at all a problem for ArtRage.
The reference is by Jack Henslee (as far as I can read the name).

Caesar
10-16-2012, 11:13 PM
OK. Pencil drawings of ladies don't seem so popular after all. Let's see if a replicating an indian with pastels may raise some interest ...LOL:D

suffolkgal
10-16-2012, 11:18 PM
One more with pencil and chalk. This time I went on for a longr time to see if the emulation accuracy could be pushed furtherly. Considering it was made on one layer and a size and resolution of the sheet quite low, I think this style isn't at all a problem for ArtRage.
The reference is by Jack Henslee (as far as I can read the name).

This is also very good, love the look in her eyes :)

Ali

pat1940
10-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Caesar, love this thread, so very interesting and fantastic pieces, all of them are wonderful

cartuneman
10-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Caesar Where do i begin my friend? All These are really exceptional. You are capturing the essence of the original artist and recreating it in your work. Isn't fun to be able to see and work through there eyes? Bravo my friend Bravo!

limey-g
10-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Well I appreciate your lady portrait, it came out really well:)
Geoff

Caesar
10-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Thank You, dear Ali. I find the look of the lady's eyes in my version are more promising and less challenging ... which makes us normal and aged gentlemen feel a little more at ease.;)LOL

This gallery is actually a quest of useful or interesting solutions and lessons to learn from, dear Pat! Thank You!

Thank You, dear Cartuneman! I hope I'll never get so presumtuous to stop learning and sketching or copying from all the variety of visual art masters of any age and place impressing me for some reason.
Moreover, as You say, it's a real fun because they did most and the hard part of the work, by converting perceptions into an effective, elaborated form of understanding reality in some impressive and essential form.

I had little doubt on that, dear Geoff! LOL:o;) Thank You!

Docsmith626
10-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Dear Caesar, most of your ladies seem to project a certain cheerful lustfulness that harks back to the less complicated, politicised attitudes of my youth. Or am I just romanticising the past? ;)

D Akey
10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Wow! I particularly like the first drawing and watercolor one. Wow. And the head painting of the dark girl is really good as well. I can see you were really focused on precision and it paid off. The attention to structure really works well. You're getting to be quite formidable. Just maintain a high consistency of quality with each technique. It's all there for you at this point. Very well done indeed.

Caesar
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I can share Your view and thoughts, dear Doc. Some decades ago people were on average simpler in their beliefs, thoughts and behaviours and, generally, more friendly and kind in substance, rather than in formalities. Maybe being more "correct" we didn't need to invent and stick to the "politically correct". The games of roles between boys and girls were limited and a much more popular sport, fun and "drug", I think. The lady on the armchair drawing suggested to me a past time form of sex-appeal, a sort of Mrs Robinson charming Dustin Hoffman. Thank you.

Dear D Akey, I thank You very much for Your encouraging words. I didn't push precision up to define complete processes and a final finishing stage, but I'm more and more grabbing experience on how to approach and what's necessary to define well enough, preliminary or half-finished sketches in pretty different styles. I keep performing my "flight" training in any kind of "mission" so as to be sure that my free flights, even when in turbulents winds and gusts, will have no more crash-landings on quality at least.

eighty+
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Hail O Caesar O Mighty One looking good but she's put a bit of weight on :D :D but who's the reference Artist you've dug up :eek::eek::eek:

as I like that thick paint style think it must be Trad have tried with Digi but no luck so far :(:( ok STATTE BBONE Si Si :cool::cool::cool:

Caesar
10-19-2012, 03:09 AM
Thank You, dear ATPlus the Old! Reference works artist" Which of the five ones You refer to?

gxhpainter2
10-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Caesar I didn't know you were adding more images to this thread... I love the work the exquisite lady..very nicely done, and the indian with the chalk look.. these are all masterfully done.. I really like the pastel qualities of the Indian.. all very wonderful work ! when I compare these to the older work where you were copying some old masters work I see quite an improvement in skill and sensitivity to color nuance etc...

Caesar
10-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Thank You, dear Gary. You're very kind and encouraging as usual.

sabena
10-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Caesar i like your study and your final project, wonderful painting:rolleyes:

Caesar
10-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Thank You, dear Sabena! Just a gallery where I put my homework when I need to have some fun and delight by learning from great artists without the need to guess a good enough composition, palette and style (they already did it for us).

Caesar
10-27-2012, 03:44 AM
A quick enough skecth of a quite complex and iper-detailed fantasy painting. A sort of reverse-engineering going from the final version to a preliminary concept sketch I'd say.
Due to the highly unfinished stage I'd suggest to give a look from far enough for a more impressionistic view.

coops
10-28-2012, 03:09 AM
I hope you are going to finish it Cesare as its already looking great:) By the way who is the artist?

Caesar
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank You, dear Katie! I'm not sure I proceeded the best way for a completion with such a study sketch. In case I should rather re-start it overpainting the preliminary sketch using the latter as a guide for positions and picking some color tints and tones I think. I wish I could find the author of this I found with google images some time ago. I didn't record him and from the signature I wasn't able to find whos such an artist is, alas. I hope someone knows him and tells us ....

pat1940
10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
Hi Caesar, great sketches and paintings again, I know what you mean about some of the artist signature, sometimes they are so small you cant read them at all, will be checking back again soon

homiedude180
11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Awesome, Caesar! These are amazing!

Caesar
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Dear Pat, the signature I read clearly enough is BoKoni (one or two words?), but i couldn't find any illustrator with such a name (or withs a very similar name). Just a pity for me curious to see what else he created in such an accurate and exquisite style ... Thank You.

Thank You, dear Homiedude! Welcome back among us mate!

Caesar
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Here's another master I copied from, the florentine Giorgio Kiernek. He evolved his style from the macchiaioli up to was about to become the Italian way to divisionism.

justjean
11-08-2012, 12:28 PM
They all are great, especially the little boy and his body structure :)

jibes
11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
A great idea and all very well done Caesar! The last one is very well executed.

D Akey
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
You're cooking! Really tasty morsels. That palette is really delicious and rich! Has a bit of a Tuscano flavor. Nice brush work as well. Go Caesar!

I know it's pointless to mention detail at this point because it would only make you self-conscious and possibly screw up your rhythm. You're moving at a great speed and I can only marvel as the doors open one by one, in fairly rapid succession. Golden time for you, Caesar.

Caesar
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Thank You, dear Jean! I'm more and more conscious of how people, with all individual differences and uniqueness is the real wealth for us all. Exchanges with other personalities, experts, masters, really enrich each of us and stimulates our own talent, for art and for anything else, thus may keep us more joyful and productive.

It was relaxing to paint loosely and confidently by just freely following a master's footprints who already made all the hard composition and palette decisions, dear Jibes. Thank You.

Right, dear D Akey. Thank You! You may clearly see from the different palettes where an artist is mainly painting I guess. Surfing through so many masters styles is really exciting, like an entertainment park (with very little frustration not to be good enough to learn all about them, after all). What you say about the rhythm is very correct too. I think we may get more by growing our intuitive and spontaneous endowment and personal experimentation and understanding than by following any complex batch procedure devised by someone else. So it's for me at least, insofar I'm not on a market where I have to define a specific product and a reliable style and quality. After so much reading, looking and drawing/ painting I hope I'll get within my lifeframe to a level of expertise and mastery on imaginary illustrations, drawings and paintings which I may deem a personal style and feel at least satisfactory.
I hope I'm not opening too many doors than what I can manage to assimilate ...:o

silvy
11-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Quest'ultima interpretazione mi piace proprio tanto. Sarà perchè adoro il contrasto giallo - viola -arancio. Proprio bello:D

GRSArts
11-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Very nice. Again, you have so much talent.

Shibui
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
This is so lovely! What a fine job you are doing.

Caesar
11-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Grazie Silvia! Anche per me è una delle tavolozze di complementari più stimolanti. Inoltre, in relazione a quest'ultimo quadro e Giorgio Kiernek, trovo che il valore e la qualità di quello che è stata la pittura italiana dell'800 ed ai tempi degli impressionisti e divisionisti sia troppo spesso sottovalutato per ignoranza, sia all'estero che da noi.

Thank you, dear GRSArt! The real talent and art is that of the masters I often like to study and interpret, dear GRSArt. I have just the little gift to be able to naturally see mentally 3D and get an intuitive understanding of lines and shapes so as to be able, following my visual representation passion, to draw and paint easily enough.

Actually I think this thread may be as fine as I can keep humble enough in front of the masters I can learn from, dear Shibui. Thank You!

Caesar
11-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Another interesting discovery of a sort of Edward Hopper follower, Jeck Vettriano, a half Scottish/ half Italian born gentleman and, apparently, a quite successful British artist of our age I didn't know before.

copespeak
11-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Vetriano - Lots of people on beaches with umbrellas as I recall. Interesting though....

Great effort on your painting. :0)

Caesar
11-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes, dear Copespeak ... and lots of sensual ones in houses, motels, clubs etc. with artificial lighting and a style reminding Hopper ... Not one of the greatest or of the most innovative, but commercially successful (I understood from some selling sites) and anyway there's an outstanding mastery in his essential, effective style anyway.
Actually it didn't take either much effort or time (that's why I studied this style, in order to paint more effectively and essentially also preliminary, imaginary sketches, and it seems to work), especially easy to start from the black coats silhouette and using oils, eraser and the hard knife. Believe or not, the worst part to paint speedy was the wall! :o
Thank You!

gxhpainter2
11-22-2012, 03:21 AM
Caesar...you really do have a lot of talent.. your range of subjects and styles is quite inclusive... I like the subtle way you solved some of the pictoral problems. for example the light color modulations of the sky and leaving white for the snow on the top of the wall ... and the wall itself with all it rich colors and textures balance against all the pale tones and stark blacks of the figures... very nice work.

coops
11-22-2012, 03:56 AM
You have done a brilliant job on this one Cesare, I really like it and especially the snow on the shoes:)

Caesar
11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Thank You for Your most flattering comment, dear Gary! A too inclusive range of interests may be a damnation though to have enough time and opportunities to eventually find a personal orientation.;):o

Dear Katie, You're probably a lady who wouldn't suffer cold weather, snow and damp shoes, provided You wear nice and elegant footwear.LOL:D Thank You!