PDA

View Full Version : Faces?

suffolkgal
09-21-2012, 03:01 AM
This is probably as good as it gets with my attempts at painting faces, I can never seem to get it to all come together! I would love to do much better but after this stage I can't seem to move forward...

Docsmith626
09-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Actually, the face is very well done. There might be some proportion issues, but no more than you'd see from lens distortion in the reference picture. More contrast could make the features jump out more, but again a small issue. I particularly like the way you dealt with the hair. Very creative.

limey-g
09-21-2012, 07:17 AM
It is coming along well, the next stage is to start introducing some shadows into the face that will bring out the contours and stop the flatness that you have at the moment.
The hair is very creative
Hope this helps.
Geoff

suffolkgal
09-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you both for your thoughts. I will do some more work on this tomorrow. I did a pic of the Emporor from Star Wars and he was much easier to do bizarrely but smooth complexions seem to stump me a bit. I did feel I got the skin tones okay so far, which I was pleased about. I think a hunt for a few faces others have done on here may help. I would love to get away from the 'animation' look and be able to paint a more realistic face but it may be a while yet :D

suffolkgal
09-22-2012, 09:49 AM
A little more work...

suffolkgal
09-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Shading...

limey-g
09-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Coming along very nicely , the shading brings out the contours of the face and removes the flatness that was there when you first started on faces.
Great to see you progress.
Geoff

suffolkgal
09-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Geoff, I appreciate any advice you have to give :)

Ali

suffolkgal
09-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Getting there....

limey-g
09-24-2012, 03:10 AM
You are doing well, next step I would reduce the white in the eyes just a little, they are just a little too white ,add a little pink area in the inner corner of each eye and then apply a slight shading on the eyebrow to give a little contour there.
Geoff

suffolkgal
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your help, Geoff, very much appreciated :)

I think I have finished her for now although I expect I shall return again to doing some more with her again in the near future :)

limey-g
09-25-2012, 09:37 AM
You have come a long way with your face, you should go back and look at your first attempt for a comparison.
Geoff

suffolkgal
09-25-2012, 09:53 PM
It was a fab exercise and you gave me exactly what I needed in regard to pointing out what needed to be done next. The eyes were a learning curve and I think I almost got her facial features in proportion, the eyes a little too wide still perhaps, but I can see progress has definitely been made. It is quite bizarre that we look at faces every day, possibly the most thing we look at, yet when it comes to drawing/painting them they are perhaps one of the most difficult things to get right. I would love to be able to capture people as you do, your Polish friend for example, but that is a matter of talent as well as skill and will be a long way off for me!

Again, thanks for helping me along with this :)

Ali

limey-g
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
It was a fab exercise and you gave me exactly what I needed in regard to pointing out what needed to be done next. The eyes were a learning curve and I think I almost got her facial features in proportion, the eyes a little too wide still perhaps, but I can see progress has definitely been made. It is quite bizarre that we look at faces every day, possibly the most thing we look at, yet when it comes to drawing/painting them they are perhaps one of the most difficult things to get right. I would love to be able to capture people as you do, your Polish friend for example, but that is a matter of talent as well as skill and will be a long way off for me!

Again, thanks for helping me along with this :)

Ali

Your very welcome, that is what is so good about the forum everyone is willing to help, I know from personal experience and the help that I have received.
Regards Geoff

suffolkgal
09-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Trying to get a little more 'true to life'...practice, practice :D