PDA

View Full Version : calligraphic thread

chinapete
08-29-2012, 03:21 PM
... persimmon ...

D Akey
08-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Hey Mr Pete. What a cool sense of movement in that persimmon. The line work here, albeit dark on light, reminded me of a Picasso thing where he was painting in the air with a flashlight through a long exposure photo.

Your line quality is very interpretive, as if taking the Chinese calligraphy and changing it for your aesthetic purposes. It seems to still ring of writing, but it is something more. As we have discussed a long while back, Chinese writing (earliest writing) came to be, some surmise, as a human interpretation of divine communication, the language of the gods as it were, from cracking antlers in a fire which were used by diviners.

Well, this, for all the expressive modernity of the look, could well be the calligraphy of the Muse.

Very evocative and spontaneous.

Picasso's thing:

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1120&bih=531&q=picasso+flashlight&oq=picasso+flashlight&gs_l=img.3..0i24l2.1858.5861.0.6052.18.14.0.4.4.0. 122.1109.12j2.14.0...0.0...1ac.mgS5BGzySdY

pat1940
08-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Very smooth and appealing, Chinapete, I think this would look great hanging on a wall as it seems very calming

Marilyn Anne
08-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Very nice to look at!

chinapete
08-30-2012, 07:47 AM
​..................................

D Akey
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
aaaaaahhhhhhh serene. . .

chinapete
08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
... hi pat ... hi d akey... this one was a bit of fun at the end of a long day with the Adonit pressure sensitive stylus :)

Tanzenkran
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
If you printed them they would be about the size that we see here right?

chinapete
08-31-2012, 01:41 AM
... on buckled paper ...

chinapete
08-31-2012, 01:50 AM
If you printed them they would be about the size that we see here right?

hi TK, ideally these would be painted or printed on album leaf sized paper, 30cm x 40cm (roughly 11"x15.5"), but the image would be situated on the paper differently than you see here, depending on the mood to be conveyed ...

Steve B
08-31-2012, 01:56 AM
I think these are just beautiful chinapete. The restraint is amazing-- I can just imagine you holding your hand back as you itch to do another stroke, "No! No more! That's enough!" :)

I personally like the Daylily Stem and what I think of as the Dandelion seeds. One, I like the use of black, and how you're letting a single brush stroke make form, instead of bringing in outlines and "filling in". Two, I love the fluid motions you're getting. Three, the very restrained use of color of wonderful. Did you try these on a white background, btw? Or did you deliberately choose a more muted yellow/grey to make the painting sort of "sink into" the canvas more?

I assume you're doing this on your iPad? Do the brush mechanics function much like StudioPro-- as in, does it have the same pressure/thinner/loading/etc settings? I'd like to play with making brush strokes like this, but find getting that extended stroke with a slightly dry, canvasy feel that you've got going on here hard to do.

A great thread!

silvy
08-31-2012, 04:54 AM
Very lovely thread:)

jibes
08-31-2012, 05:09 AM
What a great idea! I really like the minimalist nature of these. Love the 1st and last esp. Just a bit of advice is to stay out of the corners as much as possible, as a composition aid. Looking forward to more.

chinapete
09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
silvy, thank you! ... jibes, you know, I'm not much of a tube mangler, but I always like to look at your graphite thread and hope you'll return to it soon:) ...

hi steve, given that you are producing videos for your Watercolor thread and have lots of other projects going on, I'm surprised you found time to stop by, thank you for your thoughtful questions:

- about color, in calligraphy, color is considered a distraction ... in the West, we don't change the color of the ink as we write, well, not normally ... so it is in the Chinese tradition, where writing has always taken precedence over painting, calligraphy is more important than landscape painting as an art form ... the basic element is brushwork, color is a secondary concern ...

- I usually begin with black or dark grey ink on a white background, and sometimes add washes of color ... when the image is finished, I'll mount it on different papers and background tints to bring out certain effects in the brushwork ... there's no plan, whatever looks best is chosen ...

- here I'm mainly testing the pressure sensitivity of the Adonit Jot Touch on the iPad ... The pen is difficult to control, pressure sensitivity sometimes relates to size and sometimes to opacity (but never both, as far as I can tell), depending on the tool ... I haven't been able to compare my Wacom Bamboo, but now that you've got a new Toolbar up and running, I'll find time to fire up AR StudioPro and have a go at it :)

chinapete
09-03-2012, 01:39 AM

gxhpainter2
09-03-2012, 02:46 AM
wow chinapete...I don't know how I missed this great thread.. I love calligraphy the spareness of ink on paper and the beautiful brush strokes... I agree that these are difficult to achieve the same results as you would with a simple brush ,ink on paper but you have come close and created a digital extension of this artistic sensibility.. Interesting ( to me ) I was recently moved to try some work with blacks and minimal color (Black Surge)..I guess color is a distraction but I have not the discipline to leave it out...anyway very fine work in this thread..:):)

chinapete
09-03-2012, 04:17 AM
... gary ... you have a much bigger brush than I do :D:D ... it's easy to overlook a few chicken scratchings on tinted paper ... your "black surge" has calligraphic elements, and your use of color adds dimension ... if you think about it, we speak of brushwork only when brushwork is visible ... when it isn't, we think of coloring, black or otherwise, usually within well-defined lines ...

chinapete
09-04-2012, 09:31 AM
​................................................. ..

chinapete
09-05-2012, 04:54 AM
​................................................. ........

pat1940
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
More wonderful great work chinapete, I really like all of them

chinapete
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
... thank you, pat :):)

chinapete
09-05-2012, 03:11 PM
​............................................ ....

chinapete
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
​...........................................