PDA

View Full Version : Dan Thread

Dan Ghiordanescu
08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Hello Art Rage community,

I started to use this excellent software and got really excited with it.
This is my latest attempt to do an self portrait.

Hope you like it.

Dan

franc
08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Excellent and expressive portrait. Looking forward to more of the same.

eighty+
08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Yep. Like it Dan. :D

franc
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM
I see you have just got up Eigthy.You should get Dan to do a portrait of your handsome visage....?. Could hang it in the local gallery !!!

eighty+
08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
HI Franc time U where in bed oldie's shouldn't be wandering around late at night :D :D :D SLAINTE

limey-g
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
A very good portrait, well done.
Geoff

coops
08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome Dan and thats such a fine start, looking forward to seeing lots more from you:)

Dan Ghiordanescu
08-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Thank You so much for your warm welcome.
Here is another quick piece done in the launch break

Saphire
08-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Both paintings are amazing, the self portrait is just wonderful, the seascape done in your lunch break wow! what can I say it's stunning.

Steve B
08-28-2012, 02:50 AM
Yeah, these are very good! :)

You've got a nice sense of lighting. I would imagine that's how you're hammering out that seascape during your lunch break-- it's more about value and less about details and texture. It's a nice composition. Did you take it from your mind, or did you have a reference?

pat1940
08-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Welcome Dan, these are wonderful paintings and sure am looking forward to more

D Akey
08-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Brilliant! I especially love the crashing wave behind the survivors dragging themselves to dry land at last. Great story telling and really fine staging! Bravo!

jibes
08-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Great use of highlights and drama! Excellent!!! Love your self port too, your an inspiration to us all.

Peter Pinckney
08-28-2012, 09:11 AM
"
Brilliant! I especially love the crashing wave behind the survivors dragging themselves to dry land at last. Great story telling and really fine staging! Bravo! "

I'm with DA ................superb work Dan and a big Welcome!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

GRSArts
08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I love both. So much talent..

Dan Ghiordanescu
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Thank you so much.

Steve B - Hi Steve . The general way i work is i fix the story in my head, make 2-3 composition black and white thumbnails, choose one that i like the most. Make up the general color pallet in my head and start painting right away. When i come around half way of the painting process and i get into details and especially at the most difficult point of picture making (at least for me) when i have to make the decisions about what to leave in and what to leave out, clarifying the rhythms etc... I search for references . I like to use, in particular, video references versus the photo references especially when the painting involves a lot of movement. For me photos are tricky, because of the way they distort color, perspective and proportions so i try to stay away of them as much as i can ( not always possible).

P.s: I would love to work somewhere at the seaside but so far i am stuck in a dark room deep inside a game studio.

Here is a painting of Venice.
I used some photos as references that i took there and tried to really squeeze my mind and remember how the colors felt and reinterpret,hopefully enriching the color information i was getting from the photos.
This is an observational painting .

Vladislav
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Cool! The most out of the program! ¶

coops
08-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Loving your latest paintings, keep them coming:)

Dan Ghiordanescu
09-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Hello ArtRage friends.

Here is another one from yesterday from my beloved city center of Munich .
I hope you like it.
Thank you so much again for the warm welcome.

Dan Ghiordanescu
09-26-2012, 01:28 AM
another munich scene

Vladislav
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Smears just lovely sight! ¶

copespeak
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Spectacular paintings. I love the seascape.

Caesar
09-26-2012, 08:20 PM
You seem to be a skilled artist already and Your artpieces look just great. I'm very pleased to see You joining this Forum and a warm welcome in our most friendly pack!;)

suffolkgal
09-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Excellent :)

Dan Ghiordanescu
01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Hello ArtRage comunity.
A happy and productive New Art Rage Year to all of you.
Here is the first ARtrage painting of this year.
It is a Tram Station near my home in Bucharest that i used a lot to go to school when i was a kid.

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Another Bucharest winter scene

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-17-2013, 02:55 AM
A portrait of my grandfather for his birthday

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Yet another Bucharest winter scene.

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-17-2013, 02:57 AM
tree study

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Yesterday when I was coming from work , too late to cook anything i stopped at McDonalds near NordBad in Munchen to fill&kill myself a bit. While eating I observed this bavarian dude with the Stalin style moustache and I almost chocked laughing. Couldnt resist to do a sketch of him. I worked on it a couple of hours at home as well . A german man eating in an american place looking like a russian... behold McStalin

P.S. A megalomanic version of this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sg3d7lxslhfhslt/mcdonaldsStalin1.jpg
— at MC Donalds am Nordbad Munchen

kenmo
03-17-2013, 04:42 AM
stunning and beautiful work...love the brush strokes and textures....:cool:

Orkhan
03-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Hello ArtRage comunity.
A happy and productive New Art Rage Year to all of you.
Here is the first ARtrage painting of this year.
It is a Tram Station near my home in Bucharest that i used a lot to go to school when i was a kid.

tare fain! keep it up, brother

silvy
03-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Your work is very remarkable, congratulations!:)

pai
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Your works are so professional and you are so talented. Every painting is so different. :)

grayflo
03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
There is such vigour and life in your work. Many styles and subject matter, but all wonderfully rendered. I love each one!

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Thank you very much!

Multumesc!

Aunt_Betsy
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Dan your artwork is Fantastic! Love the one in the snow through a window. I really like them all, but the cold and wet just comes through on that one. I LOL at your McStalin joke. Great stuff will enjoy seeing more.

screenpainter
03-18-2013, 11:17 AM
all fantastic work. a stunning portrait work to begin with... and so much great art in your thread.

Alexandra
03-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Wow, awesome talent, such rich and beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

Caesar
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Welcome! I'm truly enthusiastic of Your starting ArtRage artpieces. You must be a master or a professional visual artist I'd say. Congratulations!

operated
03-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Hey ,

Ur paintings are so nice , i really like ur style .

My favourite is the one with the girl smoking a cigarette , and that dog is so funny .

jibes
03-19-2013, 05:37 AM
All very impressive!!!

artsy fartsy
03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
amazing work--- love your understanding of color and light

i've seen your work at digitalpleinair society --- and i was a fan of your art/style

thanks for sharing-- looking forward to seeing more of your work! :)

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-20-2013, 02:44 AM
woow, this is overwhelming , thank you so much for your kind replies.

artsy fartsy: Helloo, You are here on this forum ?!? I've seen part of your work on the "digitalpleinair society " as well . Digital world is a really small and wonderful place .I really really love your confidence with colors and composition, stuff like this always is really inspiring to fight lazyness and apathy.

I love this new version and i am really glad that the developers improved what was already good , so now it flows even better , added a couple of new things but stayed away from adding like 5000 new functions that in general ( like in many other packages) have the result of making the application buggy, heavy for the machines and overcomplicated. There is beauty in simplicity .

I just bought the latest version of this amazing little software and here is the first one with Artrage 4 .

Friday at Munchener Freiheit subway station in Munich , waiting for my friend and artdirector who managed to be an hour late, contemplating the possibility of cheering up the day with an overdose of Nutella Muffin

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Croatiaaa, suuunnn.

EliasGaxiola
03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
me encanta la expresión de su rostro

Hello Art Rage community,

I started to use this excellent software and got really excited with it.
This is my latest attempt to do an self portrait.

Hope you like it.

Dan

Marilyn Anne
03-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Very professional . They are so well done.

copespeak
03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Two really beautiful paintings! Your colours are wonderful! :)

pai
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
As always, so beautiful and great painted. You are an awesome artist. Love the scenery and angle you picked on the last one. Yes, very delightful palette. :)

drawing4art
03-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Beautiful work, I love them all :)

Caesar
03-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, I'm more and more in awe in front of Your art, dear mate! Hard to find a better advertisement for ArtRage unique artistic software than to enjoy the outcomes a master like You got and is exhibiting in this thread! Thanks for sharing.

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Thank you so much for your kind replies .

Actually i worked a bit more on this one. For some reason i got sick with the framing so i started experimenting a bit ( the joys of working digital) . Personally i like a this version a bit more. What do you think?

justjean
03-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Beautiful painting

Orkhan
03-27-2013, 02:55 AM
last one is like folklore storrytelling... reminded me some verry old storrybooks with the linografic illustrations... It is different from the previous one, more dynamic

Dan Ghiordanescu
03-31-2013, 07:48 AM
LifeDrawing on the spot and then colored at home.
A slice from a coffeshop where i usually get my morning coffe with my artdirector and draw the defensless people around.

copespeak
03-31-2013, 09:00 AM
The first was more classical with the complete image. I kinda liked that one.

This last people one is terrific! All done an an ???? :) :)

RobertSWade
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
I just discovered this thread and have to say that the range of styles is only exceeded by the quality of their rendering. Very impressive works.

artsy fartsy
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
gorgeous work -- very inspiring!

thanks for sharing/posting! keep up the great work!

Lima
03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Smashing work Dan.

Dan Ghiordanescu
05-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Bucharest lovely wiring

Dan Ghiordanescu
05-29-2013, 12:12 AM
An old street on my home town.

Dan Ghiordanescu
05-29-2013, 12:20 AM
an old guy with funny stare .

Dan Ghiordanescu
05-29-2013, 12:22 AM
another guy with even funnier stare

coops
05-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Great painting and ohhhhhhhh those eyes, well done:)

gxhpainter2
05-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Dan.. really nice paintings... the second old man remind me of a stylized Pablo Picasso..!

justjean
05-29-2013, 03:49 AM
All are wonderful but this has so much real life feeling cause of the weather I been there done that :D

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74114&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1363441867

AT-TA
05-29-2013, 04:02 AM
Very good sketches, kind of professional. I like the night street scene the most. :)

copespeak
05-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Wonderful work! The funny stares are ..... funny, and a little bit weird!! :cool:

D Akey
05-30-2013, 02:53 AM
The faces look like a cross between cartoons and J C Leyendecker's style. It's a very stylish and effective artistic look with your own spin. The Bucharest street has really nice lighting. Very effective economic painterly stuff. Nothing wasted in these faces.

Sketchism71
05-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Fantastic work Dan! Glad I stumbled onto the thread! Excellent!!!

Caesar
05-31-2013, 02:43 AM
All painterly jewels of the illustration art! Congratulations!

Dan Ghiordanescu
06-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Thank you so much!

D Akey-> perfectly spotted! My idols in painting, are J.C. Lyendecker (and Mucha) and John Singer Sargent (and Anders Zorn and Sorolla). Though they are opposite artists ( though they come from the same academy, together with the third titan, Alphones Mucha) they have something in common that obsesses me. Is their accuracy and economy in painting. Every stroke has a meaning , there are no "searching" brush strokes. I really really try, to the best of my ability, to steal as much as i can from those titans. I must admit though, this kind of " paint less, think more" is really exhausting. Maybe in some cases the end result looks "loose" and fast but is really not. I always have to fight with myself to not let my mind go in the " zone" when things start to "flow" and repeat the same brushstroke everywhere on canvas but be focused and lucid. I used to listen to music when i am painting but not anymore, precisley beacuse of the difficulty of this approach.

P.S: Just Lately (to my shame) i encoutered another american titan ilustrator that, for me , combines Lyendecker and Sargent. His name is Dean Cornwell, his drawings have a lot of the crushing design power of Leyendecker, and the finished painting, a lot of Sargent controlled life, looseness and ... magic.

Dan Ghiordanescu
06-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Hello.
I made a little experiment with this one. It started it as an traditional watercolor and then added the final touches in artrage so is kinda 80% traditional 20% digital

Mirithiar
06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Those are great, I love that you can get the textures - I don't really know how to go about that yet. I loved the tree study. I have to say that I find the last few paintings slightly unsettling for some reason.

pai
06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
oh my, i have been wanting to paint a piano man or wishing someone using artrage to paint one. i just simply loving this last painting you did. the color, the music, the silence around just the piano music and the thoughts of the painist. awesome painting.

D Akey
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I love the colors and the mood. The painterly action is really something to enjoy, like virtuosity in a musical performance.

limey-g
06-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Wow ,love the piano player, the ambience is fantastic.
Geoff

Dan Ghiordanescu
04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Hello, missing this forum.
Here is some new artrage work. Experiments experiments experiments

copespeak
04-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Beautiful brilliant experiments! :cool:

SilverO
04-02-2014, 12:54 AM
That's really amazing, love your work:)

coops
04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
I really like the painterly way you do your paintings especially the one of the blue water, its stunning:)

Alexandra
04-03-2014, 12:49 AM
What beautiful work, a pleasure to view them all.

AndreaMG
04-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Are you a pro painter? Your paintings are excellent, some of them even outstanding and all of them really show what this software can do if handled by a Master like you are. Please allow me to comment upon some of those:

The self portrait looks like alla prima, loose and tight at the same time, that's the way to go! Man, I'm so jealous :o

The "girl walking with a dog" is sooooooo good! I like the wide aspect ratio, the highly detailed and realistic scene opposed to the beautiful cartoon woman and the funny stylized dog :D

The "Tram Station near your home in Bucharest" is masterful, the way you painted the graffiti, the reflections, the people waiting, the buildings, even the antennas, everything is gorgeously done, tremendous impressionistic style!!!!!!!!!!

The "Bucharest winter scene" is another masterpiece, love everything about it. How the f%$& did you do it?!?? Sooooo jealous right now X)

Your work remind me a bit of Jeremy Mann's fabulous cityscapes (trust me, it is a compliment, that guy is a genius!)

The composition on all of them is just fantastic. You really are good and in my opinion you're pushing the software as a painting simulator to its limits!! Bravo!

pat1940
04-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Love, love your painting, piano man just fantastic

Caesar
04-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Love them all. You're a talent!

stevemawmv
04-03-2014, 07:22 AM
All fantastic Dan!
Good to see you back....
Now I'am going out for a 'McStalin'.....
Take care,
Steve

D Akey
04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
That piano player is fantastic! But I also really love the cliffs over the sea. Tremendous color!!!! Very painterly. You have a great handle on color all around. You keep it lively. Bravo again!

pai
04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Great paintings as usual. Dan. Very enjoy to go through your thread again. I love the Geneva ocean view among your last paintings. Great depth and beautiful brush strokes :)

justjean
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Are are great and love that old street painting :)

gxhpainter2
04-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Dan, I had missed so much in this thread I just started from the beginning, and ran through them I am in the camp with AndreaMG.. that is totally jealous, you have a fresh clarity in your style and use of colors is something to really learn from. It is a treat to all of us here to get to look at all your experiments!....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Dan Ghiordanescu
04-09-2014, 03:14 AM
Thank you very much, I am very humbled by your kind messages.

AdreaMG: Hello Andrea , I am working as full time concept artist. My professional work looks nothing like you have seen in this thread. Artrage is my playground where i try and allow myself to do exactly what i don't do at work. . Artrage for me is restrictive and dedicated and I totally love that, forces me to approach image making in a different way then i do in photoshop or painter. I hope they keep it simple and dedicated how it is now and not suffocate it with millions of tools and options . This link here can give you a good idea what my daily job is http://dan-ghiordanescu.cghub.com/images/page:4/
I totally love Jeremy Mann...
About the composition, i still feel that though , it is the most basic part of creating images, for me is by far the hardest and where i feel i that i fail or partially fail whenever i try to get out of "thirds" or "golden means" .I plan to live and work for a long time so i increase my chances to tame this beast or at least to accept it.\\

Thank you very much all of view, your replies are very motivating for me.

Here are two other explorations.:

justjean
04-09-2014, 03:29 AM
Always a wonderful trip to scroll your painting, love the free feeling of them all

AndreaMG
04-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Cool stuff, it is good to hear that even at your level you are still trying to get even better. Thanks for sharing your fantastic works! :cool:

Caesar
04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Masterful, painterly artpieces I like very much. Excellent in any sense!

coops
04-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Both are brilliantly painted and love the canvas of the first, well done:)

D Akey
04-10-2014, 05:41 AM
Brother, you just keep getting better and better. That head is stellar. And the mist with the mountains peeking through is also superb. I can definitely see why you're working.

mannafig
04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
WOW fabulous work.

pai
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Always so happy to see your post and your awesome paintings. Really love both the portraits and the skyscape. They are so beautifully painted :)

SCP
04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
A real treat looking at your personal artworks, fantastic !!;):cool::cool::cool:

SilverO
04-17-2014, 07:26 AM
awesome paintings:)

Bunn Green
04-17-2014, 09:45 AM
If you can spare a minute, I'd love to know what brush settings et. You use in artrage. Not that it'd make me as good as you, but it'd be helpful to know! Beautiful, professional work.

Dan Ghiordanescu
04-23-2014, 01:22 AM
Stones from Alps.

Hello Bunn Green:
95% of the time i use just oils. As a general guideline when i start the painting ( the drawing and value phase) i have the oil brush loaded 2 or 3 % . After i feel that the composition have some potential , i load the brush 50-60% to have lot of paint to mix and play with. I approach painting in many ways, depends on the inspiration of the day. Sometimes I do a drawing and then block values and then add color, sometimes i dont draw at all and i paint with lots of paint on the brush from the beginning, sometimes i do a chaotic underdrawing to have as much chaos possible then i paint the "order" on top of it but as i said, 95 % of the time i use the oil brush ( square or round) with 3% or 60% loading. I use very little the auto clean option and instant dry , because then the brushstrokes have a tendency to look the same and that is exactly what i try to avoid as much as possible ( anyway i have a hard time trying to keep an interesting level of variation in the shape of the brush strokes so i try to avoid those hardships in the color). If you have more questions let me know i would be happy to answer.

gxhpainter2
04-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Stones from Alps.

Hello Bunn Green:
95% of the time i use just oils. As a general guideline when i start the painting ( the drawing and value phase) i have the oil brush loaded 2 or 3 % . After i feel that the composition have some potential , i load the brush 50-60% to have lot of paint to mix and play with. I approach painting in many ways, depends on the inspiration of the day. Sometimes I do a drawing and then block values and then add color, sometimes i dont draw at all and i paint with lots of paint on the brush from the beginning, sometimes i do a chaotic underdrawing to have as much chaos possible then i paint the "order" on top of it but as i said, 95 % of the time i use the oil brush ( square or round) with 3% or 60% loading. I use very little the auto clean option and instant dry , because then the brushstrokes have a tendency to look the same and that is exactly what i try to avoid as much as possible ( anyway i have a hard time trying to keep an interesting level of variation in the shape of the brush strokes so i try to avoid those hardships in the color). If you have more questions let me know i would be happy to answer.
Thanks Dan to elaborating on you approach and technique... always fun to know how such beautiful work is done at least on a technical level...:cool:

Victor Osaka
04-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Holy cow! What a talent! beautiful work!

justjean
04-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Wonderful :):):)

hildee
04-23-2014, 06:02 PM
What can I say, simply stunning. Love the way you experiment and try different approaches.

Game studio - my ears pricked up at that! :D

I love ImagineFX magazine, have quite a few copies. Have you been featured in there at all?

Caesar
04-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Well done, Maestro Dan! Colors and brushstrokes are amazing and masterfully painted!

coops
04-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Love just love this painting. Its brilliant, well done:)

Bunn Green
04-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Stones from Alps.

Hello Bunn Green:

Hi Dan,
Thanks very much for taking the time to help, it's much appreciated. I find it really useful to know how others use the software as it can cut down on frustration and really inspire. I'm used to painting for real and in Photoshop but strangely Artrage feels very different to both those mediums and I'm keen to make the most of the simulated paint effects, which some people seem to be able to pull off so effortlessly. I've been experimenting with insta-dry and while it gives more control than wet paint I absolutely agree with you that you lose a lot of the painterly effect (I think that's what you're trying to say, anyway), which to me is the whole appeal of artrage.
I'll try your approach of starting off gently with thin applications and building up as that makes sense to me - it's what I do with acrylics so no idea why I've never tried to simulate it on Artrage yet! On the other hand, there's nothing more fun than chucking on a load of paint and more or less 'carving' the image into shape in a more confident way!

Dan Ghiordanescu
04-26-2014, 03:14 AM
"which some people seem to be able to pull off so effortlessly" -> You putted it very well , It "seems effortlessly" but for sure is not effortlessly. It just looks that. I found ( by really digging deep into their biographies) that this applies also to titans like Sargent, Sorolla or Zorn. It just looks that they were painting with an inhumane easiness and confidence but... behind that is a struggle that very often is exhausting. Fortunately or unfortunately or both, it seems that there is a general pattern that suggest the better you get at doing art , the next step is always harder then the previous one. It gets harder but better :) , at least from my experience.

silvy
04-27-2014, 12:36 AM
I had missed many paintings of this thread.
Great masterpieces:)
Love this rocks!

vandra
04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Such amazing work! Thank you for sharing.