PDA

View Full Version : Cheater and her cubs on the serangetti

Dave Swinnerton
08-23-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi been away for a while, as we got flooded out back in July 6th, still not back home yet, as we are now in temp accomendation, and now have internet access, so here is my painting I did while waiting.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Dave

limey-g
08-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Wow this is wonderful Dave, was this all done in Artrage if so you must pass on some tips ?
Geoff

Dave Swinnerton
08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks Geoff, It was indeed done in artrage took me a couple of days to do, which is unusual for me, had plenty of time on my hands as didnt have internet to distract me.
using different brushes and the raick brush for fur texture and the sponge for the background oh and the pen for the whiskers.

Dave

limey-g
08-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks Dave always nice to get to know a little about how a really good painting came together.
You should enter it in the Artrage magazine special edition for Sept where the topic is animals.
Geoff

Dave Swinnerton
08-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Geoff, how do you send in to the artrage mag.

Can't find any link for it.

Dave

limey-g
08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi Geoff, how do you send in to the artrage mag.

Can't find any link for it.

Dave
Here you go.
Geoff

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?41480-Sept-1-Special-Issue-of-ArtRageUS-Magazine-Announcement

Dave Swinnerton
08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Many thanks Geoff

Dave

coops
08-24-2012, 01:44 AM
What a wonderful painting of such proud animals:)

Dave Swinnerton
08-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Thank You Coops for your comments

I just love wild life, I normally Photograph Them, on occasionally paint them, when it comes out well like this one, which is the best one I have managed to do all though not perfect, I am rather proud of this one.

Dave

Dave Swinnerton
08-24-2012, 05:28 AM
This is the break down how I produced the final painting.

Dave

ps in reverse order of course.

Fashmir
09-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Dave Swinnerton- Greetings and welcome to this forum and to ArtRage painting. :) A truly fun and excellent tool for creation.

I first want to say thank you for posting your work for us to see. Any effort to participate in creative endeavor gets my standing applause. I also have a great fondness for wildlife and wildlife art.

In that spirit I want to talk to you about technique, exploration and openness in the community. Please be at ease with my little dissertation as it is not meant to be trollish or affrontive to you or anyone else who uses or has used similar methods of image creation. Also please forgive me it's length. I am here to encourage and support you.

First a little about me so you have a frame of reference for who I am and why I have the inclination to be posting about this. While I've been exploring visual creation "art" all my life, I do not see myself as a person sitting at the top of some mountain of knowledge, but a traveler who has climbed, mountains enough to recognize that there are *many* mountains unexplored. I work as an artist for a living in advertising, an industry that is often given to misleading people with visual and thematic slight of hand and plenty of lies and distraction. I have a living to make for myself and my family so I walk a fine line being a provider and also a person in pursuit of personal integrity and honesty to my fellow beings. I also take on freelance projects outside of my day job where I get to pick and choose projects that I find fulfilling and interesting.

Enough about that for the moment. What I want to encourage you to continue to do is to search out images and subjects that inspire you to paint and to use those images as reference for your efforts. While you are learning to perfect your skills tracing images are a valuable tool as well in my opinion. Here's the rub, if you are using tracing in your work, Please Please, just share that information with the community you share your work with. I come here to learn, share, be inspired, and hopefully to teach and it is my guess that others do the same. When people see images like your Cheetah (no cheaters please ;) there is interest and a desire to learn from someone who appears to have achieved something highly skilled (the cubs faces in particular). Having done this level of work myself I get excited to see it because I also love the camaraderie of excellence. As I examined your image though I noticed a shift in style and handling of the tools the further away from the animals I explored. On a hunch I grabbed the image and dragged it onto Google's image search. Sure enough the photograph of the cheetahs popped up.

I want to stop right here and again emphasize my intentions to be supportive and encouraging. I have made mistakes in the past in my responses allowing frustration and indignation to fuel my words. I have shed those and only want to be helpful to you and those who are inspired to learn from you. So, please do continue to paint and post, please do continue to use photographs as reference and as tracing images (two very different things) and please be clear to us all about what you are doing. I want you to recognize the abundant good will of the people on this forum and to bask in praise well deserved as you hone your skills and master techniques and to recognize that praise based on honest achievement and effort will lift you far higher than anything achieved with an unspoken truth hanging in the middle of it.

In sincerity,

Fashmir

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19878319/Cheater-%26-Cubs.gif

xeron
10-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Amazing, I love it!