PDA

View Full Version : TheCave

Rondo
08-21-2012, 12:14 AM
from a reference picture i found on the web........done with watercolor,hope you all like it:)

pat1940
08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Rondo, I feel like I am in the cave looking out, great job

eighty+
08-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Hey. rondo. I see you been. To my place what's the wife cooking for lunch?? :eek: :( :D

coops
08-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Makes me wonder if anyone is out there, well done Rondo:)

Rondo
08-21-2012, 10:15 AM
thank you people for the nice words:) and i'm doing often the cooking Eighty+ :)when i have the time??? a variation on the famous(in my country of origin anyway) Flemish carbonnades (a much more delicate version of what they call in the USA Beef stew,lol

jibes
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, it does feel like it should, good'n!

Rondo
08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
thank you jibes:) glad you feel "good"

Marilyn Anne
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I think the water is particularly lovely too.

chinapete
08-23-2012, 01:35 AM
rondo ... why did you choose watercolor? ...

D Akey
08-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Great point of view shot. Feels like anything between an old pirate's smuggler's cove to being inside a leviathan if I let my imagination run. In any case, it creates a dynamic feel in which I am. . . er. . . pulled in. ;););) This is stronger than your other paintings for me owing to there being some contrast which adds interest usually. I'm sure others in modern art history would strongly disagree, like possibly minimalists like Mark Rothko but that's my personal taste based on your last few. All great explorations though. So keep plugging away and let's see where you go.

Rondo
08-23-2012, 04:27 AM
thank you all for your comments and to chinapete ;i find the use of water colors "easier" to handle,more flexible,more "freedom",I have the impression if i work with something else....,that it " is there" and no as easy to handle, more stubborn :).But i'm just a real "amateur",knows nothing about painting ,so its more "visual painting: then "knowledge" painting if i may say so.

chinapete
08-23-2012, 04:59 AM
... what do you mean by "knowledge painting"? ... you mentioned watercolor, I thought it was fair to ask, since the cave is heavy and painted thickly, and the water has body, you've definitely expressed those qualities, why wouldn't you try oils for body plus texture? ...

Rondo
08-23-2012, 06:09 AM
what i mean with " knowledge" painting is.....knowing WHAT to put on the canvas.My way of "painting" is......loose movements on the canvas with material and see if i can find some "forms", "images" in that material....and then often go further from there.
Could you explain what you mean with "oils for body plus texture"?

chinapete
08-23-2012, 06:54 AM
all right ... but you also mentioned a reference picture, so that made me think you were trying in some way to integrate what you were looking at into your painting, otherwise, you could just move paint around with the greatest degree of freedom until it looked like something you liked (I often do that) ...

... by calling the thing you painted a "cave" and not, for example, a "rabbit hole," you sort of challenged yourself to build up body with watercolor to represent "rock" and to make the rock different from the sand (?) and water, and this is evident in the extra body and texture you added to represent the light striking the surface of the rock at the mouth of the cave ... so I thought it was fair to ask why watercolor and not some other medium (one choice would be acrylic, given the smooth finish of your forms) ...

... in the attachment, you can see a single brushstroke in Dry Varnish cadmium red light oil, and on the right, the same color done in a single stroke of watercolor ... I see more body and texture in the oil, making oil at least as good a choice for what I believe (maybe wrongly) you were trying to do, not to mention that the look of oil paint is after all something ArtRage excels in to represent the objects you chose to paint ...

Rondo
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
i see what you mean with the examples you gave in showing the difference between materials.often i read or hear in tutorials the term"Less is more",and also not to go "wild" in different brushes,but what about the "thing" i represented?if i understand you well,you should have loved seeing me putting more "texture" on the "cave" and go with a other material for clouds and water???(water color?).How do you combine these 2 materials????is that not a kind of contradiction?

(if i sounds a little to confusing? just disregard)maybe i want to sound more intelligent in art then i'm in reality?,lol

chinapete
08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
... you copyright your paintings, that's being pretty smart about your art, isn't it ...

Rondo
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
ye i see i was to confusing,(my apologize for that) but why that remark about the copyright? every1 doing it right?and after all??? i did made this even so there could be a discussion about the "copyright" because (as far i know of) people have to pay to "copyright" something .

chinapete
08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
... it's just that you say you're an amateur, you don't know anything about painting technique, but you value your work enough to protect it ... I thought you must have had some special reason for mentioning it was done with watercolor ...

Rondo
08-23-2012, 11:54 AM
no special reason at all,and if you take the trouble to see all of what i have done inhere? you gone see i often mention the material(not always) and 99% of the time i sign it and lately i found how to make the copyright symbol.If you also look at other peoples work??? you gone see also often that they sign it.But i had the habit of showing my "work" on FB..often i had the impression it was copied by some1, till i mentioned NOT to copy it no more as it was my property hence me putting a copyright symbol on the pieces.But i have also the impression from you last post the you don't value to much "amateurs" whom know nothing about paint techniques and so on.......:( If this impression should be wrong i should be very happy and offering you again my excuses.
best of greeting from Rondo

Steve B
08-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't worry Rondo, chinapete is one of the most helpful, useful people around these boards in my opinion, and is sure to try to give only the most constructive and thoughtful feedback. Any questions or opinions he's offering are, I'm sure, only intended to illuminate and make things clearer, or to pique your interest and nudge you into thinking about new or different techniques you might want to try.

BTW, your "moonlight shadow" painting is particularly interesting to me. Almost like a photographic negative or something. A really intriguing aesthetic choice, and a nice palette of colors!

Rondo
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
oh indeed i'm sure of his good intentions:) and thx to him its the very 1st time i'm really talking about something i made here:) and also glad a lot of people seems to like it allot (including me,lol, how strange:) ).
But in all honesty? i really don't see how i could have produced the same effect with a different material or texture.

Steve B
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Well, perhaps that's the real question-- What effect are you aiming to achieve? Then, if you're interested, we can discuss if you're reaching it, or how you could enhance it.

I think chinapete asked about the Oils because you are using "watercolors" in an opaque manner (llike many use oils), instead of the translucent manner that some people use paint with when using watercolors.

Whatever the case, it's very cool you're sharing!

Rondo
08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
lets say that i want to create a feeling of volume in the "cave", a kind of a sandy ground in that "cave", i can see that in oil..., but creating the sea, the foam,sky.....how created a feeling of being "outside" light material. I find oil in this case "heavy" a sea in oil is for me like you can "walk" on it and the sky something you can't penetrate. If these elements are made "light" "bright" "transparent" ? for me it more in contrast with the foreground elements (cave, sand)
But maybe this is just a "utopia" that just exist in my imagination!?
But i guess i step outside the boundaries of what i know, talking like this.

tylerzachary
08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
from a reference picture i found on the web........done with watercolor,hope you all like it:)

The cave is our REAL world and that, outside, right here, is another light world. Great job!