PDA

View Full Version : Little Girl in the Rain

pat1940
08-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Trying the impressionist look for a change, not too familiar with art but thought I would give it a go

moosie
08-14-2012, 06:21 AM
stunning ;)

limey-g
08-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Very effective Pat, lovely colours and brushwork to create rain.
Geoff

barnburner
08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Pat, the level to which you have taken your art, is just remarkable. Well done. :) :) :)

pat1940
08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Thankyou, Moosie, Geoff and Barney for your kind comments, always appreciated

coops
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
This is so colourful and so lovely, well done Pat:)

silvy
08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
I love it Pat!:D:D:D:D
You have turned the rain into a cascade of beautiful colors. Good choice of canvas also.
Great work

pat1940
08-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Katie and Silvy, thankyou for your very kind comments, really appreciate them

D Akey
08-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Cool. Most Impressionists painted fast, coined from 'impression". They were not at all mindful of the realism in Art that preceded their movement for centuries and which had become, in their opinion, a strangle hold on creative expression. Despite the resistance of the Academie, who were the conservative, and only, voice in Art at the time in France, the Impressionists were breaking free, rebelling against the conventions of the time. Impressionists generally wanted to get the essence of a scene, usually through lighting and color in rapid strokes and daubs before the lighting of a scene in the real world changed. The Academie rejected them for the big (annual?) show, and so the Impressionists held their own event concurrently and it changed the Art world forever.

Nowadays, people can look at their signature style and replicate the look, because it has become revered by many, and it's very appealing and widely available in prints and books. Many of them had their own identifiable style. Mostly, one can tell a Monet from a Manet from a Renoir from a Pissaro etc. But I think it is a great area to linger on and look at their work. It's challenging to only view online owing to the resolution of the art being so low. If you have a chance to visit a museum where some of this work is on display, it's a whole other experience and a lot more informative.

I personally LOVE Impressionism. It's like my first artistic movement that I really did a deep dive into. Like a first real romantic flame. In my early 20s I was for a summer out in remote farm country on the shore of Lake Superior in a small shrinking town of about 2000 people. I was armed with music by Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Chopin and Grieg who I had never listened to, and Pink Floyd that I had, and a book on Impressionism in the midst of the most naturally beautiful landscapes imaginable, as if they had popped out of that little Art book. By the end of the summer, all I could do with my life thereafter was become an artist by profession. Luckily the times were good for being an artist.

So what I'm getting at is that it's worth really getting into any Art that strikes your fancy. When you find that 'Click', wherever it is, the experience is indescribable. I regularly have seen sparks when you've connected with something artistic throughout your works. And they're becoming brighter and brighter. I can only imagine what you could do. Go PAT!!!!

pat1940
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
DAkey, thanks for sharing your knowledge on Impressionists artist it was very interesting, my husband and I have visited the Ringling Museum and Salvador Dali Museum when we
lived in Florida, that was about 18 yrs ago, it was so interesting and I think it is time to visit some more museums before I get to old lol

lukehion
08-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Trying the impressionist look for a change, not too familiar with art but thought I would give it a go

I like the rain:)

pat1940
08-31-2012, 06:20 AM
Thankyou Luke but all I did was use the diaginal grain canvas to get the effects of rain, try it out

jibes
08-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Pat, I'm very impressed! This is very nice!

pat1940
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks Neal, always appreciate your kind comments