PDA

View Full Version : Old man. Revised slightly.

shadowslake
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Blur your eyes and stelp back a bit and he comes to life. It is like most things in life. If you stand to close they are out of focus.

coops
08-08-2012, 01:22 AM
You are getting more confident Shadowslake, well done:)

shadowslake
08-08-2012, 04:30 AM
You are getting more confident Shadowslake, well done:)

Thank you Coops. Was fun to do for sure. Was not going for a photographic look but for more of am impressionist look.

barnburner
08-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Nicely done. Perfect likeness of me. :) :) :)

shadowslake
08-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Nicely done. Perfect likeness of me. :) :) :)

Was thinking he could almost pass for a traditional Santa Clause. Happy you liked it.

chinapete
08-08-2012, 10:06 AM
... shadowslake ... I'm trying to understand your approach here ... I'm guessing you used at least two layers ... the first was a monotone oil wash done in thick dry varnish to produce visible brushstrokes in the background or underpainting ... then in a second layer you painted the face ... I ask because the image of the face imposed on the background has a little bit of a "cut-out" look -- the face in other words doesn't relate very strongly to the background, which itself has not been modulated to reflect a possible source of light for the flesh tones ... when I step back, the look of the background remains a separate object in relation to the foreground, and I wonder whether this is what you intended ...

shadowslake
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
... shadowslake ... I'm trying to understand your approach here ... I'm guessing you used at least two layers ... the first was a monotone oil wash done in thick dry varnish to produce visible brushstrokes in the background or underpainting ... then in a second layer you painted the face ... I ask because the image of the face imposed on the background has a little bit of a "cut-out" look -- the face in other words doesn't relate very strongly to the background, which itself has not been modulated to reflect a possible source of light for the flesh tones ... when I step back, the look of the background remains a separate object in relation to the foreground, and I wonder whether this is what you intended ...

I have done this for 2 reasons.

1) I plan on changing the background later to something more appropate.

2) I am not done with the old man. Am thinking about making him a clasic Santa figure.

Is this more apealing?

chinapete
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
... oh, I didn't realize it was a work in progress ... but then, nothing ever really is finished, just abandoned ...

shadowslake
08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
... oh, I didn't realize it was a work in progress ... but then, nothing ever really is finished, just abandoned ...

Is ok. I didn't exatly post it was a wip. Did you like the changes?

chinapete
08-09-2012, 01:03 AM
... why study what other people think? ... study art ...