PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... Draw with a mouse or I start with a wacom tablet?

Lulauruguay
08-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Hiiii

I dont know how to draw and I will began my practices really in the next few days, I am very very good with the mouse and I know is not the same to use a wacom bamboo tablet than a mouse

what is your suggestion? (wacom bamboo is the beginer digi tablet I find in my country at a reasonable price)

thanks I know NOTHING of drawing but I have talent LOTS of it some teachers told me that

sueellen
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
You are on a good start if you plan to practice every day. It has helped me to work with ArtRage once a day. If you like using your mouse, just use the mouse until you feel like you really need to try a Wacom tablet. I didn't buy a tablet until I'd been ArtRaging with a mouse for two years, because I was happy with just using a mouse. However, I don't "draw". I paint. If you like to draw with details, you might want a tablet right away.

I don't know if that helps you. Follow your heart while you make art, and find joy in it every day. If you can easily afford a tablet and you really want to try it, then buy it and have fun. If you prefer to use a mouse only, well, that's good, too-- it's what I've done for four years now.

I hope you will love ArtRage as much as I do.

Strandy
08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Tablets were used in Art since ancient times. I never heard about old masters using mouse though. Of course these tablets changed a bit in computer era, but it's rather marginal difference under the hood, meaningless for the artist himself.

hypotaxis
08-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Tablets were used in Art since ancient times. I never heard about old masters using mouse though. Of course these tablets changed a bit in computer era, but it's rather marginal difference under the hood, meaningless for the artist himself.
I can just see Leonardo dipping a mouse into ink and using it! You'd get some intersesting marks though :D

Lulauruguay: I think if you can afford a Wacom Intuos, then get one and use it. It is far more versatile than a mouse.

Brett

sueellen
08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh, dearest Ragers; please do not mock those of us who know the Way of The Mouse. It is a special skill. Many of us have acquired it over many years, before coming to ArtRage.

When I came to ArtRage, I wanted to just dive in and Rage. I wasn't ready to learn tablet skills until I had done everything I could with The Mouse. I have a lovely tablet now and use it for some drawing, but still prefer The Mouse.

To our new member I had only wanted to say this: that if she is comfortable with a mouse, that's a perfectly good start. A tablet is not an immediate "must have" in ArtRage-- that's the wonderful thing about ArtRage.

(If I was learning to use a tablet and ArtRage at the same time, it would have given me too many possibilities every time I had to ask, "what have I done wrong this time?")

hypotaxis
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Dear sueellen

My apologies. I did not intend to mock you or any other mouse user. Not at all.

My odd head was just enchanted by the idea of a renaissance artist using a mouse to paint with. Alive or dead I wondered? Would white ones be better than brown ones? Would you hold them by the tail and swish them over the canvas or maybe roll them along like Tom Kitten in a roly-poly pudding.

In peace

Brett

barnburner
08-14-2012, 03:20 AM
As one who still uses the mouse, I would just say, don't buy a tablet just because it's the thing to do. While I've never used one, I would imagine that painting is probably a little easier with one, but you can make very good paintings with a mouse.
The talent is in your head, not in the tool.

limey-g
08-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Although I use a tablet myself, I always used to use a mouse very effectively and from experience I would say stick to the mouse until you have a handle on Artrage and then much later go over to a tablet as your skills develop.
Geoff

tinzo
08-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Tablets the way to go.

sueellen
08-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Dear sueellen

My apologies. I did not intend to mock you or any other mouse user. Not at all.

My odd head was just enchanted by the idea of a renaissance artist using a mouse to paint with. Alive or dead I wondered? Would white ones be better than brown ones? Would you hold them by the tail and swish them over the canvas or maybe roll them along like Tom Kitten in a roly-poly pudding.

In peace

Brett

An irresistible image, too. There is a "new" portrait of Da Vinci with a little white dog in his lap, that, because you have shared your whimsical imagination, I will now always see as a little white basket full of little white mice who are struggling with their tiny painty-paws to climb out.

Thank you, Brett;

Sue Ellen

maddog
08-15-2012, 05:35 AM
I bought a wacom bamboo Splash tablet as it came bundled with AR Studio. I can't imagine using a mouse to draw with as it is such a foreign feel to holding a brush or pencil. That said, I have seen some incredible work here done with a mouse, so it's really a matter of preference. The best tool for the job is the one you are most comfortable with. Now I can't wait to upgrade to a wacom Cintiq monitor! At some point we will just use a light pen in space to draw with. I think there's a video of Picasso doing that. If you have the money, try a tablet, just to test whether you like it, but don't use not owning the absolute right tool as an excuse not to create your art. I'm guilty of that and I don't recommend it. Cheers. :)

Strandy
08-15-2012, 10:07 PM
The mouse has no pressure sensitivity. I think, it's worth to consider for right decision, since painting without Pressure Sensitivity means painting with limited tool.

MaryLou
08-21-2012, 03:17 AM
I use a tablet called Genius Mousepen for all my Artrage work. It's large, pressure-sensitive, and cost about $40 on Amazon when I bought it 3 years ago. It does everything I need and more. I can't draw with the mouse at all, but that's just me.

Darlene Seale
08-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone... I've been working with artrage for iPad With a Jot pro stylus for about 6 months and I love it!! I'm thinking of buying artrage pro studio for my MacBook pro. Heres my question: on my laptop, will I need to use either a mouse, or my Wacom bamboo tablet and pen? I'm proficient with a mouse having used it exclusively in adobe illustrator. Not so comfortable with the Wacom bamboo and pen. However I love actually using the stylus on the iPad. Problem is with print resolution. It will only make a print that's 12 x 12 inches. I believe with artrage pro studio you can create a much larger print. Is that true? Ok. That's two questions, sorry. Can anyone address these who has worked with artrage on a Mac or pc? Thanks very much.