PDA

View Full Version : Masking Tool Example for Pat

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Hi Pat and anyone who wishes to not only use the masking tool for drawing, but fall straight into Peter's rabbit hole too...here goes!
The finished drawing and the first four steps.
I will add the tutorial and more steps as soon as I can.;)

I will list these first easy steps:

I used the freehand masking tool to draw out the petal shape.

Next fill with paint bucket.
Now...very important....add layer and leave the masking tool active.
On this next layer as you may see in the uploaded screen-
I then added the darker shading to the inside of the petal with oil-but any tool may be used.
Next I blended with the frosty knife.

Add another layer and highlight-blend with the frosty knife.:)

Now I will try to upload more screen shots.

Steve B
08-03-2012, 05:36 AM
What's interesting about this method is that it actually has a lot in common with watercolors, where you lay water or wet color into an area and then drop in a second color, which sticks within he. Libraries of the wetness. Someonesane had a similar technique where you would pair a shape on one layer, then Select its area for the new Layer you were actually going to paint and blend on. A cool demo here!

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Thank you very much Steve. The possibilities are endless, aren't they?

Uh oh rain and more lightning...may lose connection again.

Here goes...more screen shots if I am not kicked off again.

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I think these uploads are basically self explanatory.
On new layer highlight, blend, and another layer-watercolor highlighting or whatever you wish, and blend with what tool you wish.

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
steps 9-13-coming up....

semd74
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much Sandy...this tutorial was very helpful :-)

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
steps 14 through 18

Basically duplicating petals and manipulating layers with various effects through the tool bar color adjustments and blurring, and blend modes through layer tool bar.

You may need to smooth edges with smoothing knife on low pressure.

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 11:08 PM
steps 19 through 22

Some times I will blend top layer or a final layers that have been merged into one layer into the watercolor blend for a defined edge. Just play around with the blend modes for desired effect.

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Steps 23 to 26

Almost there....this is basically duplicating, transforming petal, adding a few more parts to the flower here and there.

Alexandra
08-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Steps 27-29

Basically working with magic wand on new layer and colorizing. Playing with blend modes. Duplicating flower and moving to background and again playing with transforming and filters and opacity.

I hope that the screen shots are helpful. I may have left out a few blend modes because I could not keep my pen on the chosen one, but it is up to you and your preference.

pat1940
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Sandy, you took so much of your time for this tutorial, and a very good one, really appreciate it, and I know many of us feel that way, thankyou so much, I will print up these instructions as my memory is not that good lol

Alexandra
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Thank you Steve for committing. I am behind on commenting, but I loved your rose.

Thank you Pat, it was my pleasure. I also made a quick floor. The perspective is not correct, but this is another method you make use. The octagon masking tool will let you make straight areas. When you wish to use it again, you just tap the masking box on the tool box below.

Here is the example of the flooring.