PDA

View Full Version : 1950's Diner

pat1940
08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Had some trouble doing the floor and not satisfied with it, but posting it so maybe get some input

semd74
08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Overall the painting is done really well...as far as the floors are concerned, I cant really help you LOL

gxhpainter2
08-01-2012, 09:15 AM
HI Pat as an ex-architectural draftsman.. I can tell your perspective lines are off between the floor and ceiling...without going into gory details just let me say that generally it is much easier to limit the eyelevel to show the floor or the ceiling...but not both and not when so close to a corner because the lines would look extreme.. it the case of your work the pattern of the floor is the interesting feature of the diner the ceiling really could be cropped out and enlarge the walls so it appears the viewer is closer to the corner table.. if any of this makes any sense..

good luck... gary

fraser_paice
08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I think it's close to being there Pat. These might be useful for your floor... http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/gallery/4251501#/d4apcq8 download the file, choose the grid closest to what you want, select it as a stencil, resize to fit on a separate layer go over it with paint and use the lines as a guide. This chap has some other useful tutorials too.

pat1940
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Steve, thanks for checking it out always appreciate
Gary, thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense, aha an ex draftsman, well now I know where all that talent comes from lol
fraser, thanks so much for the site, I have already downloaded the file, this will be so helpful, really appreciate it

Alexandra
08-01-2012, 10:46 AM
A very charming piece Pat. I know I have a lot of trouble with floors. I use the masking tools a lot.

Caesar
08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Gorgeously painted memories again, mostly American ones, but somehow global reminders anyway!
Some of the items in Your painting recall good past times and have local corresponding ones in the same periods, others not really. Frams had different architectures and made with bricks here, and gas stations and cars were sensibly different too, but i can feel the period mood and optimism anyway.
For this type of place though, I may only rely on my old passion for rock'n'roll, Happy Days and, above all, the movie American Graffiti, where there was also a '50ies and '60ies item absolutely familiar here, a Vespa (the father of all scooters up to today which had a rival one in the vaguely similar Lambretta)!

coops
08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Another great painting Pat, you really are pushing your boundries and its great to see:)

barnburner
08-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Pat, this brings back fond memories for me. Love those old time diners.
These competing perspective things like you have between the floor and ceiling often leave me banging my head against the wall in frustration. :)
I think Gary nailed it. I would either crop out the ceiling, or, raise the wall, changing the lines of the ceiling to conform with the floor.
Regardless, I like it a lot. :) :) :)

limey-g
08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Nicely done Pat, we still have a place nearby that has kept the old look along with the music systems.
Geoff

Marilyn Anne
08-01-2012, 11:48 PM
I love the feel of the piece. It truly captures that diner place we all love!

D Akey
08-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah yeah. . . perspective perschmective. . . I ordered a cheeseburger. . .

Hahahah.
This is great Pat!!!!!!!

Really nice details. Seats, menus etc. It's all great.

Gary is absolutely right. I never looked at a room that way, but it makes perfect sense. And when you crop the celiing out, it improves the picture.

As to the floor, yeah, those checkers need to be exact, as much as possible to really get the slick 50s diner kitch look. There is of course the hand done, less precise look that has a personal memory quality. But were you to want to do the air stream, smooth chrome airbrushed look many of us associate with that subject, you would want to get all the mechanical stuff perfect. The floor is a signature icon of that era.

A cool thing to do is to really go in there with spic n' span and polish everything up, and wax the floor. So once you have the floor grid done, on a separate layer air brush in some vertical reflections. You may have done or seen it done on placid lakes with pine trees where it's sort of vertically striped -- similar idea. Only be sure to keep it light and less strong than your furniture and floor pattern. Play around with it. Look at paintings that use it. And you can do it all on the pic you have already been doing.

I love what you have done. Brilliant.

pat1940
08-02-2012, 04:24 AM
WOW such great advise, I thank all of your for your kind comments and wonderful advise, I will work on all of this, I feel so apprecitive that you all showed interest in helping me with this

Rondo
08-02-2012, 05:00 AM
I think it's close to being there Pat. These might be useful for your floor... http://foervraengd.deviantart.com/gallery/4251501#/d4apcq8 download the file, choose the grid closest to what you want, select it as a stencil, resize to fit on a separate layer go over it with paint and use the lines as a guide. This chap has some other useful tutorials too.

When i do that (select as a stencil) i just got a red line around the grid ? i do something wrong here?

jibes
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I like what you've done here Pat. I like the way the floor turned out. Gary is right, just cut of the ceiling and it will look better. You can have the very corner of the ceiling and it would be fine. Easy fix!

mannafig
08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Flooring is not my thing but overall I like it very much:):)

pat1940
08-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Neal, thankyou so much for your kind comment, I did what Gary said and it looks so much better, thankyou all for kind advise
Amanda, glad you like it, thankyou for taking a peak

pat1940
08-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Rondo, I just downloaded all the files and dragged them into the stencil folder, one at a time

silvy
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
:)I like it very much!

Rondo
08-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Rondo, I just downloaded all the files and dragged them into the stencil folder, one at a time
Got that Pat ,thanks

chinapete
08-03-2012, 01:11 PM
... back to the future :):) ...

pat1940
08-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Silvy, chinapete, thanks for checking it out
Rondo, glad I could help