PDA

View Full Version : Munch Print

copespeak
07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
A recent post got me interested in trying to emulate a Munch print, so have had a go at it this morning. I have been keen to develop a linocut print effect and Art Rage makes it relatively easy. Using the selection tool (without antialias) to sketch out shapes, fill, lots of canvas texture layers put in then cut back, then (new layer) Airbrush spats all over, and erased back lightly in lines. Lastly on a new layer I did horizontal and vertical ink pen and scratched back with the eraser to get the canvas texture. I could have developed the texture a lot more, but it's not my design, just a copy of Munch's. I hope you find this interesting!

gxhpainter2
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
you really have captured the qualities of a woodblock/lino print with the flat colors and "texture" something I have been trying but not quite getting it as successfully as you :cool::cool:

copespeak
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks, it was your post that got me going, I think. I don't know whether dry brush oils rubbed back on heavy canvas texture might get a better cross hatching. This effort only took half an hour, so I'm sure a bit more fiddling could get more options.

copespeak
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
More to add now I've been experimenting. I downloaded a high res canvas image from the web, put it into Photoshop and put it through the 'threshold' process, so it's just Black and White pixels. Then put it into my stencils in AR. Then played with layers, painting and erasing, using the stencil here and there. Gives a lovely grungy appearance and that washed out printing effect. More playing to be done!!

Caesar
07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Very interesting experiments. Thank You for sharing Your discovery. Valuable real-looking outcomes too!

coops
07-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Just goes to show how wonderful Artrage is, so much to do and such great results, well done:)

gxhpainter2
08-01-2012, 02:51 AM
I love the grungy look and flat colors looks like an old handpainted sign.. very nice process thanks for sharing :):)

copespeak
08-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks All!

lukehion
08-31-2012, 12:26 AM
A recent post got me interested in trying to emulate a Munch print, so have had a go at it this morning. I have been keen to develop a linocut print effect and Art Rage makes it relatively easy. Using the selection tool (without antialias) to sketch out shapes, fill, lots of canvas texture layers put in then cut back, then (new layer) Airbrush spats all over, and erased back lightly in lines. Lastly on a new layer I did horizontal and vertical ink pen and scratched back with the eraser to get the canvas texture. I could have developed the texture a lot more, but it's not my design, just a copy of Munch's. I hope you find this interesting!

looks simple and kind interesting. Few colors and some lines:) Simple and beautiful

jibes
08-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Hey copespeak! Great effects and experimentation. Love the look.