PDA

View Full Version : PRINTMAKING THREAD -Updated 8-3-2012

gxhpainter2
07-28-2012, 05:30 AM
I am starting on a new bent... trying to emulate or recreate a more print like look ( woodcut,linocut,lithograph etc ) so no canvas or other substrate textures, color a little flatter. no oil brush type textures in the brush marks. this is going to take some restraint on my part but this is the first cut... hope you like it..:):) I would be interested in your favorite printmaker if you leave a comment ..I learn so much from my forum mates about new artists and sometimes revisiting ones I know about..:):)

pat1940
07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Gary, what a great challenge and love it, so you said no canvas, did you use paper and just the ink pen? I cant wait to see more, this is so interesting...Go:D:D:D:D:D My Friend

gxhpainter2
07-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Gary, what a great challenge and love it, so you said no canvas, did you use paper and just the ink pen? I cant wait to see more, this is so interesting...Go:D:D:D:D:D My Friend

Hi Pat.. I used CEL which has no texture, the ink pen, mostly pencil and then used selections for fill colors etc.... for some of the shapes I did a prelim layer with oils and rollers to build up some interesting background then used selection to "cut" out the shapes and put them on their own layer. then deleted the background layer..:):)

chinapete
07-28-2012, 06:48 AM
... and you've also managed to flatten the framing ... looks much like a horizontal hanging scroll would ... :)

Marilyn Anne
07-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Very nice. The placement of all the shapes and colors and all the interest going on. Good job.

chinapete
07-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Do I dare mention Munch on this forum? :)

I think that this print, which I believe is called "Moonlight," can be instructive ...Of note are the rough edges of the main image as set against the grey-white border, including the odd wedge shape in the upper right-hand corner; the severely restricted palette; the minimal graphic treatment; the large areas of flat color broken up by the absence of color; the subtle continuous horizontal line dividing the water from everything else (the aggressive outlining of objects, especially the woman's head and upper body against the water); the lack of detail (or the illusion of detail that isn't really there), and some degree of transparency in the color overlays (head against the water, etc.) ...

Interestingly, Gary consciously or not has the continuous horizontal line in his image ...

barnburner
07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Very interesting project Gary. It's easy to see the amount of work you must have put into this. Nicely done. :) :) :)

gxhpainter2
07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
... and you've also managed to flatten the framing ... looks much like a horizontal hanging scroll would ... :) Pete... thanks yes for this print project I will have to keep the framing colors flat to read appropriately..:)

Very nice. The placement of all the shapes and colors and all the interest going on. Good job. Thanks M-A I am trying to keep shapes simple but interesting ..

Do I dare mention Munch on this forum? :)

I think that this print, which I believe is called "Moonlight," can be instructive ...Of note are the rough edges of the main image as set against the grey-white border, including the odd wedge shape in the upper right-hand corner; the severely restricted palette; the minimal graphic treatment; the large areas of flat color broken up by the absence of color; the subtle continuous horizontal line dividing the water from everything else (the aggressive outlining of objects, especially the woman's head and upper body against the water); the lack of detail (or the illusion of detail that isn't really there), and some degree of transparency in the color overlays (head against the water, etc.) ...

Interestingly, Gary consciously or not has the continuous horizontal line in his image ... Pete absolutely and the print you added is perfect.. that is one of the looks I am trying to achieve.. just haven't figured out how to emulate the uneveness of color so characteristic of some woodblock prints. Where Munch used white to edge like around the red hair the and background I am using a shade of green so my finished image is not really adhering yet to the formalities of a true woodcut. In my younger days I took a woodblock print class that that uneven color was a no-no the instructor wanted our colors saturated and even.. :rolleyes:

Very interesting project Gary. It's easy to see the amount of work you must have put into this. Nicely done. :) :) :) Mike...thanks yes I mentally build all the parts for my work and figure out how to reassemble BEFORE starting the work.. as they directly influence the result.:cool::)

Mairzie Dotes
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
gxhpainter,
Being one of the technically challenged ones, I can only imagine
the creative strategy and detail work that went into this thinking
and doing "out of the box" innovative piece.
"Leaf Print" is a labor of love that has resulted in a quite handsome,
work of art. Wow and well done! :) :) :)

Alexandra
07-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Dear Gary, I love these colors, very different and very attractive work dear man!

Tanzenkran
07-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Henry Evans prints I drool over. Linoleum block printing. Usually very few colors but very catchy draftsmanship in the unforgiving linoleum.

www.henryevans.com (http://www.henryevans.com)

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 02:50 AM
gxhpainter,
Being one of the technically challenged ones, I can only imagine
the creative strategy and detail work that went into this thinking
and doing "out of the box" innovative piece.
"Leaf Print" is a labor of love that has resulted in a quite handsome,
work of art. Wow and well done! :) :) :) Mairzie Dotes...thanks for this encouraging note...I really appreciate your comments and support.

Dear Gary, I love these colors, very different and very attractive work dear man! Sandy glad you like this color combination, and my first foray into digital printmaking.:):)

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Henry Evans prints I drool over. Linoleum block printing. Usually very few colors but very catchy draftsmanship in the unforgiving linoleum.

www.henryevans.com (http://www.henryevans.com) Tanzenkran... thanks for that tip I will check out his work.:):):)

coops
07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Love this one, I have a framed leaf painting done by my grand-daughter when she was about 3 yrs old so I have quite an affinity with your painting Gary:)

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 04:14 AM
still learning and looking at prints and working at getting that look.

semd74
07-29-2012, 04:46 AM
I like this new look Gary...well done !!

Tanzenkran
07-29-2012, 05:46 AM
that navigational aid that will allow time travel through space? If it ain't, then I still like the colors and design anyway.:)

chinapete
07-29-2012, 06:20 AM
... gary ... texture alert :) ...

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 06:24 AM
I like this new look Gary...well done !! Thanks Steve:):)

that navigational aid that will allow time travel through space? If it ain't, then I still like the colors and design anyway.:) I am pretty sure this is the one !

... gary ... texture alert :) ... Ahh...guilty.... but I am TRYING to limit it but slipped a bit here..
:)

cartuneman
07-29-2012, 06:49 AM
wow now thats imaginative. Really nice way of pushing your tools. I spend a few days a week, off and on changing things thru out the gambit of tools and papers to see how far i can push things lol you've found a new look for your work I like it keep it up. Besides....always remember this. "an artist can become blind if they fail to see the beyond"

:)

pat1940
07-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Gary this one is really good, it looks like you are enjoying your experiments a lot, looking forward to more

gxhpainter2
07-30-2012, 02:34 AM
wow now thats imaginative. Really nice way of pushing your tools. I spend a few days a week, off and on changing things thru out the gambit of tools and papers to see how far i can push things lol you've found a new look for your work I like it keep it up. Besides....always remember this. "an artist can become blind if they fail to see the beyond"

:)thanks John for better or worse ( and worse does happen a lot ) I can't seem to stick with a single method or toolset style as I work new ideas pop into my head and have me chasing after that.. I guess that is the luxury of being an amateur.. thanks for your encouraging comment. :):):cool::cool::cool::cool:

Gary this one is really good, it looks like you are enjoying your experiments a lot, looking forward to more thank Pat I am feeling a renewed creative surge and it feels great!... glad you like this experiment..:cool::cool::)

Caesar
07-30-2012, 08:07 PM
A very promising direction and an impressive artpiece as a start!

gxhpainter2
08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
the stage is set, the city is mapped... all in Green Black and Yellow :)

silvy
08-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Never look this thread first, but I like this new direction of your style.
I've already seen the last in its thread, but I like very much the first one. You've got a very interesting collage effect:)