PDA

View Full Version : Cartunemans gallery

cartuneman
07-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I will be posting all my new art here to keep it in one thread instead of all over the place....This is a start huh lol Speed paint this evening to warm
up. A mixture of art rage and photoshop to make different effects. the second one was straight out of art rage before I granulated it and added a few other filter effects....I am just playing around with techniques and effects. this whole thing took about 2 hours.

Caesar
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
The inception of this gallery is just outstanding. Hard to see a speedy painting so well defined in the focal part and with so much character! I like such a sort of vaguely mischievous and impudent look on a fairy (that's what she looks like at least), so far from a boring and sloppy one.

shadowslake
07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
WOW is all I realy can say. Nicely done.

tinzo
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Both are beautiful, but it does raise a question: why are fairies always so Sexy? :D
I also put my work in one place, it's a tip someone gave me when I first joined AR. :cool:

limey-g
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Very nice and after so little time, I really like the detail in the head/face and less on the rest of the painting, a good combination .
Geoff

gxhpainter2
07-25-2012, 03:20 AM
cartuneman.. great idea to consolidate your work.. I appreciate being able to see all of them in one place with the added benefit that I can see past works very easily ... interesting that you use photoshop and AR .. that is my work flow also.. mostly I start in AR with some image with a bunch of layers and then work back and forth between the two pgms. I love this and I was thinking this morning as I was driving to work how prolific and quickly you come up with images.. so do you have a large image stock for reference of ideas? I was wishing you had a YouTube video so we could peek over your shoulder as you worked.. THAT would be an art lesson!..:):):cool::cool:

pat1940
07-25-2012, 03:49 AM
John, 2 wonderful paintings, when I seen them, Pino came to mind, I always enjoy viewing your art and will be watching for more in your thread

D Akey
07-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Again, you really capture (or create) the most amazing female heads and body language. Bravo!

My personal impression about the vignette device of the girl surrounded by long shards is a little unsettling. And that could work in certain editorial contexts. It's a contrast between her and the background.

cartuneman
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone and thank you for visiting my new Gallery and committing on my first post here. Caesar, shadowslake, pat1940, limey-g, Thank you all for your comments and yes it was a fun paint to create. As for Detail I only wanted it in her face and kinda drop the rest of her out. I wasn't really impressed with the film grain test but ehh win some loose some lol but it was ok.

Tinzo...every woman fairy or not is Beautiful and sexy ......at least that how my imagination sees them. lol and thanks ya i saw you putting everything in one place so I took you and the others idea and started this.....don't wanna clutter the site with threads you can never find.

gxhpainter I know there is a program out there that copies every move of the stylus and I wish I had it... but somethings that money is spent on in my house is governed by my book keeping wife and gas and groceries come first lol but some day I would like to oblige your request. and thank you for liking my work. and I do have an extensive morgue of old art, sketches, life drawing and portraits of people, places, children and things.from over 25 years I do find stuff on the net and save them to discs but god help me when I go and try to find something lol it becomes a quest you wouldn't believe....box after box of art and box after box of CD's .....but it is what it is. lol

D Akey Sorry about it if the sharp shards made it feel a bit uncomfortable to your eye but i felt it was appropriate to the effect I wanted but hey that's what art is all about and that is bring those feelings in everyone to life and that makes me feel like i have truly accomplished what I set out to do lol ( actually I was at a loss and in a hurry so I just stroked the paint out and cross hatched it ...it looked good so i kept it lol) Thank you so much for your critical eye I love it when you comment sir. and i am glad i can catch your eye. so this leads me to a great segway to my new post here is this evenings paint the original and a photoshopped one ... I call this....

"The Fire Fly Fairy"

hope you guys like it?

Caesar
07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
You seem to have followed strictly someone of the composition schemes of Loomis here, so well built is this illustration. Marvellous new painting. It looks so easy for you to paint such speed figures as defined in their essence as the most finished ones if not even more! :eek::cool::):):):):)

I like also the idea of one thread only. I never dared just because I have too many different styles, tools and subjetcs in my extemporary winds of creations, jokes or studies, so it would be a most chaotic thread. Even worse, I usually make experiments and quicky not built as artpieces and I cannot assure a minimum level of quality, so a sole thread would be my target when I'll feel I may deserve and afford it.

cartuneman
07-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Thank you sir but let me tell you something.......Your work is worthy of a single thread. it will follow you and your experiments from scratches to complete masterpieces we all will always look. so don't ever thing that you do not deserve a singular thread.... You DO!:)

gxhpainter2
07-26-2012, 04:30 AM
Thank you sir but let me tell you something.......Your work is worthy of a single thread. it will follow you and your experiments from scratches to complete masterpieces we all will always look. so don't ever thing that you do not deserve a singular thread.... You DO!:) Caesar I would second that opinion!...

kenmo
07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Great idea of posting your work in a single thread.... Love your work...

cartuneman
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Thought i'd try my hand at a water scene aint easy ....what ya think. I think I'll stick to people kids and fairy's lol

Caesar
07-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Perfect for hazardous rafting!

cartuneman
07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Perfect for hazardous rafting!

lol my same sentiments lol

screenpainter
07-28-2012, 03:56 PM
all beautiful work. most recent landscape is stunning.

tinzo
07-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Another wonderful image my friend, I like how the background doesn't detract from portrait of the woman, super job. :D

COMBINING YOUR STUFF. I have to admit, that when it came to choosing between ArtRage and Deviant Art. I decided on
the latter,because even in those early days I was missing too much work. Members set up new threads which stayed on
the first page for a day, then disappeared into the bowels of the AR forum. Sadly for me, I find IT"S EVEN WORSE NOW.

limey-g
07-29-2012, 12:36 AM
I really like your water scene, it looks excellent when viewed, large scale.
Geoff

pat1940
07-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Got such a chuckle from Caesars comment, and agree with all, great painting John

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 03:38 AM
Nice painting John your talent seems to know no bounds...:):)

coops
07-29-2012, 05:15 AM
Wow thats so beautiful, I want to go there just as the sun is setting. Great work again Cartuneman:)

cartuneman
07-29-2012, 07:17 AM
Thank you all for the kind and wonderful comments and Mr gxhpainter lol all our talents should never have boundaries. That is what is so exciting about the artistic universe.

Ms. Coops, pat1940, limey-g, screenpainter, I bow and tip my hat to you all and your great works. Glad you liked it.

Mr Tinzo, I do agree with you about how quickly ones post do seem to fall off into oblivion in AR. But there is the personal gallery where you can save all your works to be viewed when ever and by whom ever would be so inclined to go look. The forums as like many other open forums are just that. a place to post comments and or art for open discussion. Hince, why I posted my Gallery so as to keep everything localized as I believe you have, so any one can view our art and read all the comments/ make comments if they so wish. Ya, Posting a new piece of art on the galley thread of AR is kinda like a splash in the pan, that 15 seconds of fame over and over that we all keep posting on. I have to laugh sometimes at how quickly things do end up on page 2 3 4 5 or 6 and so on. But what I do enjoy are the people that do post and comment. We all seem to be loyal to our AR family and welcome new artist with open arms and minds. It was really cool when Bobby Ray had the AR magazine and he featured a new artist every month and also the current ragers works. I miss his publication. It was a great venue for new and older ragers. So to the Gallery thread I will continue to post and wonder thru the endless pages of artistic talents that my eyes enjoy to look upon.

with that said here is my try at Anime art, I photoshoped it with some lighting effects and with sumi e (sumi e pulls color and strokes together and auto contrast the art) I like it What say you?:

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 07:21 AM
wow ...way cool I love the hair and the "armor" and the high contrast look... a great look overall.

cartuneman
07-29-2012, 07:41 PM
thanks gxhpainter it was a bit of a challenge to get that real manga anime feel. well, I'm still at it ...can't seem to put the stylus down so here is another addition to my gallery... I call this one. Angels are real...

coops
07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Your latest painting is so magical, so delicate and so beautifully painted that it makes me believe that yes they are real. Wonderful work once again Cartuneman:)

Alexandra
07-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares....

Your work is so beautiful John!

silvy
07-30-2012, 01:11 AM
WoW:eek: I've lost this thread......wonderful thread:):):)
A very pleasure to look.

tinzo
07-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Both Works are Wonderful. :D

gxhpainter2
07-30-2012, 03:23 AM
John your stylus is HOT right now! :eek::eek: and fantastic work on "Angels are Real" love the mix of airbrush soft and angular line and brush..great colors.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
07-30-2012, 05:14 AM
gxhpainter, Thank you sir....It's like I am a bit bottled up and I can't sleep sI paint till I get tired...and fall asleep. lol weird huh?

tinzo, Thank you sir glad you like them.

silvy, Well, I'm glad you found this thread again lol it will only buried or lost if i quit posting in it . glad you liked the art

Alexandra, thank you Mam, and yes I believe your quote.

coops, thank you for your comment Mam. All angels are beautiful aren't they?! why do you think they are mostly portrayed by women?

Caesar
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Another double strike, dear mate! You're a painting gun-machine, but You never waste a bullet!

cartuneman
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Woodland delight .....thank you Caeser

Caesar
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I would thank You instead for such a marvellous and charming view!
I think You may well illustrate also intriguing (or even a little spicy) stories for grown up people ... ;):o

coops
07-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Absolutely magical Cartuneman, full of charm well done once again:)

cartuneman
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
thank you both Caesar and Coops, you all have a great day!

limey-g
08-01-2012, 02:56 AM
really like the latest addition, really well done.
Geoff

gxhpainter2
08-01-2012, 03:42 AM
super work John...I love the figure but I was more interested in the great woodland...incredible how you gave an real sense of space but when you look closely it almost looks like an abstract painting.. any little section could stand on its own.... very cool I think!..:cool::cool:

pat1940
08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Love all of it John, always enjoy looking

cartuneman
08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Mr Caesar, Lol ya My art can be a bit spicy but I try to tone them down a bit lol thank you for your comment.

gxhpainter ya that BG became almost a nightmare....I felt like it started to get a bit christmasy if ya know what I mean....all the red and green but throwing in some yellows and oranges helped out in the end. Glad you liked it.

pat1940 , coops and limey-g glad you guys stopped by and liked the work i gotta spend some down time and re group....I think I'm Gone bonkers over fairys and I think I gotta get back to drawing cartoons lol

cartuneman
01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
hi all. Sorry haven't been around. I have some good news and some not so good news ....I had a heart attack and have been on the mend. It is and has been a life changing event to say the least. But I am home Recouping. The good news is, There is an international digital art magazine that recognized my art in their on line internet division and awarded me the Image of the day. You can view it here: http://bit.ly/ifx-iotd21 It is exciting to me ...thanks so much to Art Rage!!! It has been such a boon to my art and to the industry.
so Other than that i wanted to share a piece with you that I am currently working on. I call this "Sky Pirates" I hope you like it?

I'm currently working on Characters and a photon deck Cannon in the forward ship deck. this has been fun

copespeak
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Absolutely gorgeous paintings, all of them!

cartuneman
01-20-2013, 10:44 AM
thank you, copespeak

justjean
01-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Had a wonderful time scrolling through your beautiful paintings and thanks for keeping them in one thread they deserve to be seen time and time again

cartuneman
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
thanks Justjean

screenpainter
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Good to hear you are on the mend. And great to see you producing amazing art like that. Congrats on being honored. Glad to hear you are alright. Be well!

cartuneman
01-20-2013, 08:01 PM
thank you very Much Mr. Screenpainter!

D Akey
01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't think this one would be called Sky Pirates 'whip'. . . more like Sky Pirates 'flog' or Sky Pirates 'cat-o-nine-tails'. I mean, Har?

Shocking news about the health thing. From painting all them thar call girls, I reckon. . . which paintings I quite miss by the way. . .

You need to take care, my friend. I don't know about you, but when I was painting on schedules, I didn't concern myself with health all that much. Would go out during the day to see clients and thus had to paint all night. It was easy to throw myself off pretty severely over time. Be kind to yourself and be in it for the long haul, that's what I learned. Of course you may already know that. But I surely don't want to hear about anything bad happening to ya.

Be well. Hope you're on the mend.

This is a pretty cool image by the way. Super color!

Oh, and that ImageFX piece is sensational! Really great. But that's one of the subjects that you have always excelled at - faces and subtleties of expression.

Alexandra
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
I am happy to read you are okay John. Beautiful work.

coops
01-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Wow John this is fantastic and I really love the colours.:)
Hope that you are getting better and better with every day:)

gxhpainter2
01-21-2013, 06:35 AM
John, that is a great honor that your excellent work is getting recognized , you have an amazing range of talent and come up with some fantastic images, please listen to D Akey and take care, we want to see lots more from you in 2013..! . :cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Thank you everyone for the thoughts about my recent Heart malfunction ....It was an event no one should experience. The wildest thing about it was when I had the attack The EMT had hooked me up to a defibrillator. It is done on all heart victims. The machine also evaluates the patient ie; Me, and I was talking to the EMT when the machine said " the patient has had an event, Please stand clear you have 8 seconds to clear. " the EMT and I just looked at each other and he jumped back and Wham! It felt like getting kicked by a 1 ton horse! The EMT then Shouted to the driver in the ambulance...He was and is still awake!!! I have to laugh a bit because I guess it is rare that You are awake when that happens. Anyway Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am on the mend and am getting better. It is life changing, No more late nights at the local Pub lol.

Mr D akey, So have you had a attack? it sounds like you may have or experienced something similar. Oh and don't you worry I am still painting the women's and I graciously tip my hat to you for commenting on my ImagineFX view. Thank you very much and I will take your advice about taking it easy and for the long haul.
Alexandra thank you sweet sandy Hope all is well with you?

Miss Coop, You always stop and say hi and I thank you for your wonderment and comments. glad you like it....I am sketching up some steam punkish style pirates and hope to add them soon. I will be updating this later in the week I hope. lol and thank you for your concerns I am getting better. I love your show girl paintings!

cartuneman
01-21-2013, 06:47 AM
thank you so much gxhpainter, not to worry I am taking care of my self! I wife is seeing to that.:rolleyes:

Lima
01-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi, Cart. Glad to know you are ok. Great artwork as always.

D Akey
01-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi Cartuneman. No, I've not had a full out heart attack, thank goodness. I've had other workings of the body flip though. And I can well sympathize about the shocks you experienced, pun intended.

I have come to the working realization that in the modern world we are all pretty much genies trapped in freakin' lava lamps.

cartuneman
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Lol "D" well glad you are still live and kicken lol well here is a paint I did today this was just for fun:

coops
01-23-2013, 02:06 AM
What cuties they are and what a magical scene, its another great one John:)

cartuneman
01-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Thank you miss Coop! You are so sweet thanks!

justjean
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Oh more fun please :) this is so cute and well done

limey-g
01-23-2013, 09:08 AM
This is so cute, love it.
Geoff

cartuneman
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
thanks Geoff and Just jean My wife wants me to do a series of this lil guy lol she says he is to cute lol I've never done or pulled off cute to well before lol glad you all like it.

Caesar
01-24-2013, 04:52 AM
I'm so glad to enjoy Your latest marvels too, dear mate! Yo have all my admiration for Your creativity and masterful execution!

asahiart
01-24-2013, 04:57 AM
nice capture of face and expression

pat1940
01-24-2013, 04:58 AM
John, this is so magnificent, so glad you are on the mend and congrats, you deserve it as your art is so wonderful and a pleasure to view

cartuneman
01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Thank you Caeser, Pat and asahiart thank you all for you comments well here is my latest addition just a place in mind. it was cold here and I was paint where I wanted to be.....

D Akey
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Perfectly idyllic and peaceful.

But being the artist at the level you are, I will make a comment about the fallen tree relative to the falls. You may want to separate them apart some. The fallen tree spanning the water looks on one hand like the water is falling behind it, and on the other owing to the values and placement of the value changes, looks like the water's falling on it (though not splashing which of course it's not) and it sort of confuses the depth in that area of overlap.

Might be that the lighting could be changed on the log to where more of it is being hit by light across the top to the left of the falls rather than having the shadow stopping the light right at the same place where the falls end. The light in that center area are doing a sort of Escher. They're, by coincidence, connecting. Might run a top light along the top side of the log to separate it and let it come forward. Just a thought.

Other than that I love it. It's a place I would love to be too. The palette, theme and details are great!

Alexandra
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
The little guy is adorable John, the scenes, magical...always beautiful work!

kenmo
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Beautiful images....

RobertSWade
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
John, so good to learn that you are on the mend and attending "art therapy". It is always a distinct pleasure to view your works. Take care and listen to your wife. :)

coops
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
This would be a perfect place to sit and relax John so off you go and get fit and well:)

cartuneman
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM
hi and thank you all for stopping by and bestowing me with such nice comments. Sorry to say but I ended back up in the hospital for a couple days......I'm not liking this bad heart business one bit. It's frustrating and annoying and worrisome to say the least. I got back home yesterday afternoon and I have to realize life just isn't going to get any better. I just wanted to say before anything else ever happens to me, that I have been honored in my spirit and humbled in my soul to have met all of you here on Art Rage. You all have filled my eyes with spectacular colors and amazing talents. So, to all of you I tip my hat in respect and bow to your wonderful individual talents that you share with me and the world. I also thank you for the nice comments and thank you all most for being a friend.

:)

Strandy
02-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Hey John. I realize, I'm learning not only from your paintings but also from text messages too. Thank you for showing us your recent pictures and the words you said. I hope you get better soon.

cartuneman
02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Thank you all for listening and your words,

hope you all enjoy these as much as I have painting them.

jibes
02-03-2013, 07:13 AM
All very well done! Great art and concepts! You da cartuneman!

cartuneman
04-28-2015, 03:48 PM
wow I found this old thread floating around and I thought I'd bring it back to life, so to add to my gallery I hope you enjoy the work. some old and some new.

vandra
04-29-2015, 05:54 PM
I can only say "amazing work"!!

gxhpainter2
04-30-2015, 05:59 AM
cartuneman, love the galloping cowboy, living in cowboy country like I do I see them from time to time, always creates an impressive image in my mind. I also really am drawn to your black and white work, a bit unusual in todays world of 16+ million colors available to use as digital artists, they have their own power for sure.

Delofasht
04-30-2015, 06:54 AM
Thanks for updating the thread with more goodies! I do so enjoy perusing the fantastic works, it's a real inspiration to me. I'm working on getting a better grasp of different keys to work in while painting and how to make them work and looking through your work is a great help toward understanding it better.

D Akey
04-30-2015, 07:12 AM
So glad you pulled this out of mothballs. Very fine work. Also explains where you got the name Cartuneman. Some cartoons! Heh.

And glitzy glam showgirls slipping into or out of the hot tub. . . since this is your party, I'll bet it's champagne. To your good health. . . and hers. . . phew! That's some tall drink of champagne. . . And here comes Cartuneman pony expressing himself as he heads for the casino! YeeeeHaaawwwww!!!!! That's a great horse and rider. Nice palette and placement of the marks are also on target.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
04-30-2015, 10:39 AM
I could stare at your paintings all day, exceptional work, love all of them

jacktar51
05-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Cartuneman,
Hello John, I haven't seen your gallery before, Its actually very nice to see you putting your paintings together in a single thread, some really good paintings here, I had no idea you were this good, a very nice collection of work, I shall certainly be looking in again now I know where to look, congratulations John......Jack.

Caesar
05-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Your exhibition location certainly deserves a visit! What an artful, magic, special place and collection of artpieces! Dear John, I hope You'll be hired for setting up the next universe ... LOL;):o

cartuneman
05-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for stopping by and visiting my Gallery, The comments you all left lifted my spirits for sure. I have been working hard at work and they have been giving us overtime to finished a few new projects...ugh I'm tired.
That's why I haven't been around of late. But hopefully this weekend I will put some paint to canvas and post something new I've been watching everyone's new additions I am jealous cause I haven't posted anything ...lol so till then here is some cartoons and sketches for you to look at. I love looking at Sketches they show so much and it's fun as artist we can see how the artist is working out their art. oh and the last pic is a fun pencil I did of a modeled pose it turned out pretty cool.

86478 86479

86480 86481

Delofasht
05-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Oh I love sketches almost more than I like finished paintings sometimes. Seeing the process in the early stages there seems to be a quality lost in more finished paintings most the time. It is a quality I try to keep into my finished works to some degree quite often, not bothering to finish some areas as they convey a bit more of the expressive qualities inherent in my early rough stuff. Thanks so much for sharing, out of curosity, what field of work do you actually do full time? is it art related as well?

D Akey
05-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I have to agree with Delo. I can definitely say that drawing is an exceptionally revealing medium and sometimes surpasses color which hides much of the immediate virtuosity, not to mention it's just plain cool looking at it. And I even like the ones where the artist is feeling his way through the angles and all that.

On the other hand, a great painting is a wonder to behold as well. But I do like drawings a whole lot.

And these ROCK!!!!!!! CAPTAIN CAVEMAAAAaaaAAANNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep yourself rested up! I'm presently burning the midnight oil as well. Makes more sense than burning it at mid day. Always loved working late at night. Temperatures are cooler, which I like in the heat we get here, and it's quiet.

. . .so GO CAVEMAN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D:cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
05-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks so much for sharing, out of curosity, what field of work do you actually do full time? is it art related as well?

Well sir, since you've asked. I work as an Engineer for a Casino here in Reno Nv. I work on everything from Hvac to plumbing to Paint and woodwork. I love woodworking I was a carpenter for many years . I have built over 375 homes personally. and I also worked at the Movie studios as a carpenter and also as a painter and set painter/sign writer for years. Here are a few of the things I've built my kids over the years. Hope these interest you lol they aren't Art rage but man were they fun to build. So what do you do.

86493 86494

86495 86496

cartuneman
05-10-2015, 11:30 AM
CAPTAIN CAVEMAAAAaaaAAANNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha Ya Mr. D. I love sketching .. Yes Captain Caveman even. I used to work for Hanna Barbera as a tweener I'l try to post more. I think looking at ones sketches I learn more about that artist thought processes. It give's me hints as to what I can do to achieve new ways of looking at my own art. Thanks for your comments sir, I enjoy them so much. . Hey what part of Cali. you live in?

cartuneman
05-11-2015, 06:30 AM
painted this, this week from a pic I found on the internet . The picture itself was tiny so I improvised where I could. it turned out ok I loved the action, that is why I painted it.

Delofasht
05-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Well, well, looks like you've had a very busy successful life. Interesting line of work to be in. Currently, I work in freelance illustration for book covers, posters, and tons of pet portraits. Seems like there is quite a market for medium/low end pet portrait work (200 to 400$ range), I don't include frame or matting and sizes vary quite a bit. My illustration work is currently under non disclosure until they actually print or start production for the most part. For years though I was in the service industry though, gave me a different perspective on how to sell art and what people are looking for, which I'm sometimes still fuzzy on, but I get the general feeling that pretty pictures that really provide a sense of awe, wonder, or calm tend to be good sellers.

I'm particularly a fan of woodworking and construction, but I don't do any of that good stuff myself anymore (not in past decade at least, helped build a few houses myself years back). Nothing near the level of quality and workmanship you have in your buildings for your kids, those are simply awesome, my daughter dreams of having her own little house with a porch! (actually a little miniature castle I believe is what she wishes for)

This cowboy painting is phenomenal! Painting from reference has always been so much easier than from imagination for me, but I'm always pushing myself to be better at doing it from imagination, part of why I use the approach I do and reference after I've gotten a good base to work from. Nice thing about digital is i can just paint over the "rough" of my painting as opposed to making a new version of it like I would traditionally.

Your rich history has definitely provided you a lot of useful tools in doing art I can see, and you seem to have a great grasp of form and construction of various kinds of organic shapes (like human bodies and animals). As always thanks for sharing with us, it really shows that no matter the line of work one is in currently creativity can be unhindered by the labors of work.

Caesar
05-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Well, I had not reason to doubt, but You made it absolutely clear that you draw as magnificently as you paint, dear friend. I like also very much the pictures of Your place most "picturesque" elements. After all, who don't love the good ol' America and Wild West flavor?;)

D Akey
05-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Holy mackerel! Look at all those things you've built for those girls! Amazing. To call you handy would be an understatement. And brilliant from the sound of all the diverse things you've done. Energy plus creative vision = no rest at all. ;););););) You must have been in great demand for your western re-enactment stuff (as I recall from an old photo you posted some years back with you as a sort of mountain man). Being able to create most anything like that covered wagon, little house on the prairie Laura Engles kind of scene. You must have been a regular Michael Landon.

Super cool.

Love this latest painting you've posted.

I'm in the opposite end of the state - the very dry Southern California.

cartuneman
05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Delofasht, Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I've done quite a few things in my life and have found some success in all that I've done. My oldest boy says I'm a real Renaissance man. I have to laugh about that. hehe. Thanks for liking my art though I really enjoy your work. you look like you are classically trained. As for me I am self taught. I had a couple scholarships when I got out of high school but I was drafted and that ended that and my life began in the military.

Mr D. What can I say? thank you too for your comments sir. Ya I been around the block a time or two. loll And carpentry is my second love. make more money at that than with my art. never figured that out but hey gotta eat.

Caesar , Thank you for your comments too your work rocks too. I too enjoy looking at your work.

Delofasht
05-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Delofasht, Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I've done quite a few things in my life and have found some success in all that I've done. My oldest boy says I'm a real Renaissance man. I have to laugh about that. hehe. Thanks for liking my art though I really enjoy your work. you look like you are classically trained. As for me I am self taught. I had a couple scholarships when I got out of high school but I was drafted and that ended that and my life began in the military.

I personally feel that being skilled at many things simply means you are less likely to be reliant on someone to live should zombies take over. I managed to evade ending up in the military, I had the opportunity for any branch but chose not to go (because of a girl). As to my training. . . I'm actually like you! Self taught, completely, still learning, always still learning no matter how good my wife might think I am. I study, a lot, like if I'm sitting still I'm probably rereading a book or sketching on my phone or really analyzing what I'm looking at, constantly studying.

On your path of self teaching, what would you give as advice to someone still learning? I'm always interested in this, it seems like there is a depth of knowledge and quite a few commonalities in the answers I've seen to this question. For myself, "Be aware!" of everything, but especially the self.

Keep up the great work man, you know I'll be watching (and hoping I will actually be as good one day :D).

cartuneman
05-13-2015, 03:02 AM
On your path of self teaching, what would you give as advice to someone still learning? I'm always interested in this, it seems like there is a depth of knowledge and quite a few commonalities in the answers I've seen to this question. For myself, "Be aware!" of everything, but especially the self.

Well sir thanks again for your kind compliments. So to answer your question , Hummmmm? it's a good one that can't be answered in just a few words. and I am looking at having to jump in my car now and scoot off to work. I will give it some considerable thought today and I will soon have an answer for you. So till then have a great day!

cartuneman
05-13-2015, 04:42 PM

As I said I would think about your question and this is what I have arrived at.

Being self taught is not always the wisest but can be sometimes the most rewarding. For being self taught there are no boundaries to restrain a self taught artist. A self taught artist has had no one tell them "Hey you can't do that" so to speak if you know what I mean? Sometimes I've seen young artist that are fresh out of college and they seem to be a molded artist. What I mean by a molded artist is a developed artist formed by their teachers. most not using their own talents. But then you have those who supersede what they were taught and come out of college full of imagination and the artistic desire to be the artist they want to be. Did I just say anything anyone can understand. lol So onto the rest of my answer. I will answer more tomorrow...

Delofasht
05-14-2015, 03:13 PM
That is some excellent advice, and one I don't hear often at all. You are so right though, we often get so hooked into the "right" way of doing things, losing our own voice in the process. I recently starting breaking out of that king of thinking myself, and have been infinitely more happy with my progress artistically since doing so. Been getting much better ideas out because I'm more free with how I'm making it and getting better results as well. (or I should say results that I like much better)

I'm for self teaching, especially now that Youtube and internet resources are so readily available. I remember spending huge amounts of time in bookstores and libraries just reading and devouring any knowledge I could find on drawing and painting, such a different era now.

cartuneman
05-15-2015, 04:52 PM
As I said I would think about your question and this is what I have arrived at.

Being self taught is not always the wisest but can be sometimes the most rewarding. For being self taught there are no boundaries to restrain a self taught artist. A self taught artist has had no one tell them "Hey you can't do that" so to speak if you know what I mean? Sometimes I've seen young artist that are fresh out of college and they seem to be a molded artist. What I mean by a molded artist is a developed artist formed by their teachers. most not using their own talents. But then you have those who supersede what they were taught and come out of college full of imagination and the artistic desire to be the artist they want to be. Did I just say anything anyone can understand. lol So onto the rest of my answer. I will answer more tomorrow...
Well it's been a couple of days and I wanted to say a little more.... thank you Mr. Delofasht for your comment. and yes One should always rely on ones self most often. Don't loose your vision stay the course and be free in your art. don't ever give up. I believe that's about it. one more thing I think most artist basically want to be recognized by their piers and to hear the wows and ooh"s and ahhhhs they are to die for. right? We artist have a funny bone that is wrapped in a bit of vanity. and a dash of self narcissism. I have to admit, that's what I've noticed in myself more than not. lol But what I have done with my art and my life is to just do it and not worry about it. And love all art for how it affects my eyes and my artistic soul. Nuff said

D Akey
05-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Yeah, seems that it's hard to get motivated when everything is just gently rolling downstream. We have to have some motivation or why bother. And it's a shame that people don't see the benefits in drive and having to prove one's self and overcome hurdles and all that happy stuff. And where would beauty be without at least some vanity?

Like the old adage in screenwriting: Don't tell 'em, show 'em! Goes double for being an artist.

cartuneman
05-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Yeah, seems that it's hard to get motivated when everything is just gently rolling downstream. We have to have some motivation or why bother. And it's a shame that people don't see the benefits in drive and having to prove one's self and overcome hurdles and all that happy stuff. And where would beauty be without at least some vanity?

Like the old adage in screenwriting: Don't tell 'em, show 'em! Goes double for being an artist.

I second that Mr D. well said.

cartuneman
05-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Thought I would post a pic of my friend from my cowboy days. I used to do cowboy reenactment for the folks up in Virginia city, so her he is ...we call him Wendy Bill, his real name is Jim lol They other is a photo of me back in the day lol

86547 86548

cartuneman
05-17-2015, 05:25 PM
some pics I posted in other threads Thought I'd add them here.

86549 86550

86551 86552

pat1940
05-22-2015, 08:29 AM
John, what beautiful paintings, always look forward to viewing your wonderful talent

cartuneman
05-24-2015, 04:21 AM
John, what beautiful paintings, always look forward to viewing your wonderful talent

thanks Pat. I'm glad you like to look at my stuff I've been looking at your work as well great paintings too. love the last one you just posted.!

Fakepivot
05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Whow those are some awesome paintings..
Awesome Gallery

D Akey
05-31-2015, 08:37 PM
I love your style. Nothing like painterly stuff to add a certain flair or swagger to the artist's presence. Love the idea of a girl wearing nothing but a lens flair. WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to say she bought it off the rack, but in this case the evidence points to be being on the rack.

There's something about some of the models you paint, they remind me of a long ago young lady I knew. It's as if she was a spirit, or a genie in a bottle, all Barbara Eden, surfacing again to say 'Hi. Remember me?' . . . And how.

cartuneman
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Whow those are some awesome paintings..
Awesome Gallery

Thank you . You are very welcome To visit my Gallery any day.

cartuneman
06-02-2015, 05:02 PM
I love your style. Nothing like painterly stuff to add a certain flair or swagger to the artist's presence. Love the idea of a girl wearing nothing but a lens flair. WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to say she bought it off the rack, but in this case the evidence points to be being on the rack.

There's something about some of the models you paint, they remind me of a long ago young lady I knew. It's as if she was a spirit, or a genie in a bottle, all Barbara Eden, surfacing again to say 'Hi. Remember me?' . . . And how.

MR. "D" I love your comments you put so much life in your Replies. lol So do you have a concept of the woman from long ago? I could paint a special one for you.

D Akey
06-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Wow! What a great offer. But you are already doing that. She is in your paintings. Not the one I knew, but what she might have looked like some years later had I been around that long to see. Her older brother was my friend.

No photos exist. . . with me anyway. She just inhabits a place where the energy is clearer than the details. You have the coloring about right -- darkish hair, but not Katie Perry black, true blue eyes. . . And in those blue eyes could be found that special look of a future that alas never materialized. We were too young and the wheel turned too fast in those days for us. I hope she found happiness.

Have you not ever experienced a moment in your life that was pure by which all else was later measured? I'm sure you have. And I am rather afraid of making it too concrete. So long as she remains vague, she is more universal.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. You just keep painting and I know she'll pop round again. She's already done so a few times. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
06-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I call her Seductive. Thought I would add her to my gallery,

gxhpainter2
06-05-2015, 01:40 PM
cartuneman, what a great blend of expressive brush marks and controlled tonal work on her face and hair, make for a very strong artistic statement... well done .. love that fact that you limited it to black and whites. :):):)

D Akey
06-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Really sexy in a 1960s Italian movie sort of way -- those high couture classy dames, ya know. It's all in the Cleopatra eye makeup. Great pose. Sort of like a demure show girl if there is such a thing. Seems to me I've seen this one before. Did you do it some time back? Or is it just that you get into my head and paint what I've seen, hahaha. Nice juicy painting.

Caesar
06-05-2015, 09:52 PM
And actually the lady in this last portrait seduced me, but that's probably not really such an unexpected scoop ....:o;)

cartuneman
06-07-2015, 12:34 PM
A paint I did this morning warming up for a couple commissions. hope you like it?

D Akey
06-08-2015, 05:01 AM
She's a peach! Very atmospheric -- sort of that fog effect that they love to put on sentiment cards. . . only this lassie looks like she's slightly moving into the cartoon range -- like an action heroine for Heavy Metal or one of the ones where the babes look sexy. I half expect her to get a call to action and she'll burst into heroic aspect. . . and nobody suspects it's this demure flower who saves the day every time. She seems such a Southern belle frittering her thoughts away on cotillions and gentlemen callers. . . But nobody suspects the balance of power, of the fate, the very survival of the planet is soon to be determined. . . Tune in Next Time. . . When you hear her say, "Oh, pecan pie and molasses! . . .He loves me NOT?!?!?!?!? Why I oughta. . . "

cartuneman
06-08-2015, 08:04 AM
She's a peach! Very atmospheric -- sort of that fog effect that they love to put on sentiment cards. . . only this lassie looks like she's slightly moving into the cartoon range -- like an action heroine for Heavy Metal or one of the ones where the babes look sexy. I half expect her to get a call to action and she'll burst into heroic aspect. . . and nobody suspects it's this demure flower who saves the day every time. She seems such a Southern belle frittering her thoughts away on cotillions and gentlemen callers. . . But nobody suspects the balance of power, of the fate, the very survival of the planet is soon to be determined. . . Tune in Next Time. . . When you hear her say, "Oh, pecan pie and molasses! . . .He loves me NOT?!?!?!?!? Why I oughta. . . "

Hahahaha Mr D. what an Eye for the flamboyant hahahaha Great story too I just painted it because it was June and a lot of women get married in June but this bride had run away to the seclusion of the willow by the pond, to ponder why she should marry, that was the story that ran through my mind. I like yours better. :)

Caesar
06-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Looking at your marvellous paintings I imagine that You live in a sort of fairy tales wood and this last wonderful and graceful one looks very much as a dream-like wedding photoshoot by some professional potographer indeed!:eek::cool:

Fakepivot
06-12-2015, 09:47 PM
ahh shee looks amazing, love those little detail cloth, Btw how do you do those lens flair thing?? do you take it into Photoshop?

cartuneman
06-17-2015, 05:47 PM
ahh shee looks amazing, love those little detail cloth, Btw how do you do those lens flair thing?? do you take it into Photoshop?

yes I do I love messing with lighting. it's like icing on the cake ....just a lil more eye candy sells the whole picture.

cartuneman
06-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Hope you all like this one it was fun to do and I am going to put it up for sale in a few weeks print on canvas

Caesar
06-17-2015, 08:08 PM
I guess Your whole print run is already booked and sold out! LOL:o;) It will be a successful artpiece, I'm pretty sure. Excellent. I left a comment on the After 9 Section.

byroncallas
07-18-2020, 07:58 PM
So many terrific works. Cartuneman deliver so much terrific art.

Victor
11-14-2020, 06:17 PM
great art ....

cartuneman
09-16-2022, 02:49 PM
great art ....

Thank you for your kind words, I'm going to revive this old thread and I hope to keep it on track and alive.

hope everyone has a imaginative and productive weekend! The first pic of the train was a fun paint I used the glitter paint for the rail bedding and some of the bg paint ...it worked and the book cover is my new book coming out this fall.

102578 102579

DarkOwnt
09-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Very nice monochrome work. Your values are just right!

LaFemmeDuLac
09-17-2022, 09:30 AM
Hi, not only guys like beautiful pictures of women! I like them too. What I remarked is whether you painted yourself with a model or created by a picture as a trace under it or as a pattern/picture in front of you. Because the body-shape is perfect. The strokes leaded anatomic as they have to be lead. But the best for me: The lips are naturally and not that modern kind of paintings, sketches with those boostered lips which does not suit to most of us women. That makes her despite of the wild scene tender and fragile.
I admire you, I saw several different picture made by you? With different motives and types of women and girls/fairies?

cartuneman
09-17-2022, 10:49 AM
LaFemmeDuLac's
I am glad you like my art and some of the pics I have produced, I love painting women for they are the most beautiful to capture ones eye. Ahh yes some women deserve the right to be captured by pen and ink only and yet there are those that are so defined they can not be shown in any other grandeur than their own lines. a painterly stroke to enhance only and to bring life to and through the touch of the artist. I use photos and sketches and hundreds of coloring masks and also photoshop to light my art. I study position and lighting to bring out the best that I can and to help breath life into my art. I change up color to effect the final piece. I learned a long time ago that the make up of a good piece of art is how it is laid out, sort of like a good ad reads better if its constructed better. In that I say is what I do. I also find that if I constantly study modeling of the human body I am capable of reproducing them better as in doing muscles structure and animal structure as well. Thank you again for your comments

cartuneman
09-17-2022, 11:03 AM

I painted this of my wife 10 years ago and She has never changed she will always be my butterfly ( one of the first things I ever painted in art rage

cartuneman
09-18-2022, 08:25 AM
A self portrait of me doing my cowboy best to look authentic.

a painting of long horn steers crossing the dusty desert.

Enug
09-18-2022, 12:30 PM
John, this is talent overload - I can't keep coming up with the adjectives to express my admiration. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

markw
09-20-2022, 12:20 PM
Really good to see you posting again to this thread cartuneman:D
A real diversity of subjects too throughout. Great stuff:cool: keep them coming!

cartuneman
09-21-2022, 03:17 AM
John, this is talent overload - I can't keep coming up with the adjectives to express my admiration. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thank you Enug your comment is too kind, Your work is exemplary of one of the finest artist in the gallery. So I bow humbly to your words. and thank you. from within.

cartuneman
09-21-2022, 03:19 AM
Really good to see you posting again to this thread cartuneman:D
A real diversity of subjects too throughout. Great stuff:cool: keep them coming!

Thank you markw I will and I hope you continue dropping in to see!

cartuneman
09-24-2022, 05:20 AM
Hey there.

Good morning! The seasons are most assuredly on their way so I thought I'd share some free coloring pages with you all. I have 14 grand children and they love my coloring pages lol and also an old paint I did with art rage 4 back in the day lol so hope everyone is having a great day! I hope these put a smile on your faces.