PDA

View Full Version : The Weeping Tree

Alexandra
07-24-2012, 07:51 AM
I don't know what to say about this one. I was inspired by several photos from some talented Deviant Artists that seemed to touch my very soul. Pencil, oil, watercolor, you name it. A hodgepodge of ArtRage materials.
I don't mean to make anyone sad, but we all know this sorrow some time in our lives.
My father taught me about the trees, each one and what they were, what medicines many came from, and how to walk safely in the woods. He was a man that grew up in the mountains and became a man very early in life.
I won't say goodbye to my Dad, only a see you later.

gxhpainter2
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Sandy... what an amazing image!..really to be able to so beautifully express your sadness in this universal way I think provides healing and comfort to everyone...especially with the events in Aurora CO...

limey-g
07-24-2012, 08:05 AM
This is really good, love the theme.
Geoff

barnburner
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Sandy, what a wonderful tribute to the memory of your father, and so beautifully done! Very touching indeed.

RobertSWade
07-24-2012, 09:45 AM
The Native Americans, as is true of all indigenous peoples, do not use their environment; they participate in it. It's a lesson from which we could all learn. This image nicely sums up the feeling of that belief system.
There is a scene in "Little Big Man" where a young Brave is about to let an arrow fly towards a deer. Just before he releases the arrow he says, "Thank you Little Brother". I don't know how realistic that was but I believe it is symbolic of the reverence we should have for the natural world.
You also find it in the Buddhist belief that "All things are Buddha things."
A lovely and evocative image on many levels, Sandy; one that could easily be connected to the "Trail of Tears".

Peter Pinckney
07-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Sandy...............a-se-hi ...........tsu-ga-sa-wo-dv a-li-s-de-lv-di ni-hi........................Hope it's right.:o

Beautiful interpretation and very moving.

pat1940
07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Sandy, this bought goosebumps and an overwhelming saddness, so beautifully expressed and wonderful painting

semd74
07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Love the image and the theme is sad but beautifully expressed...may the Great Spirit be with you

Caesar
07-24-2012, 09:47 PM
This is a masterpiece, dear Sandra, certainly one of Your best and among the AR best, I think. there's everything required by composition, texture, palette, tones, story, emotions etc. Moreover there's also a curious effect on one eye which may be seen either closed or looking upward, as if she's looking both and alternativelytowards someone up above, in the heaven hunting fields, and downward to her heart and inner sorrow. There's motion too then. Loud applause then!

D Akey
07-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Astonishing, Alexandra. Very deep emotion in this one. It's as if she is able to touch even a tree and see him in the past. He may be one of those who now lives in the trees and hills and streams, certainly for his daughter in this picture. At least that's my take on it. This picture to me is about ever-changing forms.

Beautiful, deep work, Sandy.

coops
07-25-2012, 06:05 AM
A most emotive painting dear Sandy painted with love and wherever you look there is love.:)

Alexandra
07-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Thank you Gary. He was a complex person in many ways, and not an open person at all. His ways of showing love were bringing flowers, trees, and a call with how are you doing. The conversations were never long, but he let you know he loved you and cared for you in his own way. He brought me so many beautiful plants, trees, and flowers when my kids were babies. Now I am able to enjoy these beautiful big trees and huge shrubs. I've fallen in love with landscaping and inherited a bit of his love for carpentry, carving, and design.
As far as Aurora and the tragedy...I was blown away. I was born there. Too much of this is happening in our country. Every thing has roots though, and the family unit and any connection and stability

Thank you Geoff. I am finding through research that I have more in common with the Cherokee than I thought. I am researching my lineage and hope to find my great great grandmother's name and more about my ancestry.

Thank you Mike. I don't know if my father had any Cherokee relatives, but he seemed very much like the Cherokee. I have been working on his family genealogy too. He was always walking through the woods finding potential walking sticks, carving, and knew what was safe to eat, and not...he was a mountain boy, a coal miner, and like you later a trained soldier, then to have the toughest job...a Daddy to four girls and a boy.

Hi Bob, Thank you for your beautiful comment. I have always felt that everything is relative, and have taught my kids this very thing. When my son was finally able to speak from all that happened to him I explained to him that the trees are here because of us and we are here because of them. I explained what we breathe is what they exhale and what we exhale they breathe. Their skin is not so different from ours. When a neighbor asked how I grew my roses and why my grass was so green, I told him not to kill his dandelions. That these were the most nutritious plants not weeds for both people and the earth-pull them if they bother him and put them in a compost, but I just cut them with the grass. All things work together. I wish I had known about pesticides and vaccines, blood titer tests and immunity long before I had children. Ignorance is not bliss, but tragedy. There is no excuse for not learning how to take care of oneself. I look into everything now before I accept a persons word. Maybe a feeling that the Cherokee people have today.

O-si-yo Wita, wa-do. (hello Peter, thank you)
I am adding another fun to do to my list. I want to learn tsalagi as I trace my lineage. I have found CD's and books and various things on you tube. This will be fun gv lv quo di Wita.(dear friend Peter). I know you had an amazing father from this time also. An incredible time in history. Again, thank you or wa do!-XO-

L Skylar Brown
07-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Sandy- This is one of your best (for me). Loss can stir some awesome reactions in us. My grandfather taught me many things, among them that the basis for aspirin is found in Willow trees for instance. You can chew on a small piece of branch to release the compound . My grandma showed us that the same small piece of branch could be substituted for a toothbrush (with a bit of Baking soda)

kenmo
07-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Very nice....

sabena
07-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I like this painting this painting and the emotion around. Very well done

Alexandra
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Pat and Steve, thank you dear friends for your kind comments, I truly appreciate them.

Dearest Cesare, you are too kind. Many thanks dear mate.

Thank you dear D Akey. I do feel just this. Exactly. Thank you dear man and dear friend.

Oh Katie, thank you dear lady. Yes, this is indeed with love. I can honestly say that I loved my Dad so so much.

Thank you dear Skylar. My grandmother had a weeping willow that we all played near and for some reason seemed such a place of peace and healing. She too would chew on parts of the tree and explained the natural pain reliever and other benefits of the willow. And the tooth brush with baking soda...much better than the thyroid killer we all use.:p

Thank you dear Ken. Now I am feeling so much of the loss that you've felt. It is like a terrible storm where I am sailing alone with no sail.

Thanks so much Sabena. So many feelings at this time. Always good to see you and I love your recent explorations-great styles!

Mairzie Dotes
07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Alexandra,
Stirring, heartfelt, passionate and a powerful piece that
tenderly embraces one of our more uncomfortable to reveal
emotions.

The artistry and is absolutely eloguent to behold! :):):)

Alexandra
07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks so much Mairzie.

silvy
07-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Love this work Sandy:):). One of your best!