PDA

View Full Version : My Neighbors Wife

cartuneman
07-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Well I got it done.....lol My neighbor saw my wifes portrait and asked if I would do one of his wife.....well of course I didn't say no so here she is. which one do you like? he wanted it to look aged a bit sort of like an antique look. I painted this in multi layers and then I exported it as psd file into photoshop and did some after effects with lighting and film grain. I actually like either effect, but I am curious what he will choose.

silvy
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I like both of them, but the first one for me is better. I love the work of brushes, viisible strokes of material.
Photoshop effects are nice, but 'artificials'.
However, everyone has their own tastes
maybe your neighbor will like more the second;)
Wonferful work cartuneman!!:)

Marilyn Anne
07-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I think I like the top one best. The face shows up so well with the contrast. Excellent job and very pretty.

Alexandra
07-15-2012, 11:16 PM
I prefer the first one John. Beautiful painting. She looks as if she is a forest fairy.

tinzo
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi John, they are both superb and so make it difficult to choose. However I think I would go with the second,
the first is very painterly, showing your brush work. However I think the second has a more tender feel to it. :):)

GaryExo
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
The first version is far superior. I think the PS treatment in the second has destroyed the charm of the original work.

pat1940
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
John, they are both lovely, but I like the first one the best, great job and I am sure he will love it

Tanzenkran
07-16-2012, 12:39 AM
But I too prefer the first a bit more than the second. However, either one I think has too much highlight on the forehead of the subject. Would you consider lessening the highlight on the forehead? You are the artist not me that is for sure. I think Tinzo has point. For the second, by lowing the highlights and raising the blackist blacks would do the trick to satisfy my eye. Possibly just lessen the overall contrast settings of the image could do that without too much fuss.

limey-g
07-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Well I vote for #2 being more of a photographer I like the subtle detail in this one, but both are very good.
Geoff

cartuneman
07-16-2012, 03:01 AM
hi everyone, He still hasn't seen these yet . I do like them both for every reason you all have given the first for it's painterly aspects and the 2nd for the softness and the photo style of the blend of light and graininess gives it that aged feel. I'll let you all know which one he likes. I think the person I have to please will be her lol.

Tanzenkran I had played around with contrast and lighting ab it and this was what felt best for the back lighting. But to each their own I respect your opinion and thought I'd post the pic with a darker contrast to show you how it looks.

The reason for the lighting effects was to soften the hard lines and dramatize the overall effect of the rear lighting. Without it, the painting becomes a bit muddied and lifeless. do you agree?

thank you all for your comments! I do trust that her husband will like it. But I'm in a bit of a quandary as to her opinion lol

barnburner
07-16-2012, 03:07 AM
They are all great, but I like the third one best. :) :) :)

gxhpainter2
07-16-2012, 03:54 AM
cartunemane - wow that was fast and an excellent job. I like the second one but may i suggest that you reduce the overall filmgrain which gives an artificial quality to it by adding a layer mask and mask out with varying opacity the grain in the eyes, lips and hair and maybe a bit in the neck... but in the other areas it works for me... just a thought.. I do like the third one with a bit more contrast it is much more dramatic but all three are very appealing..:cool::cool::cool::):):)

post edit.... I thought maybe I should say that to achieve this correction I would put the first image in a layer and the film grain below it then apply the layer mask on the top layer and "bring in" the film grain where you want it and as strong as you need it..

pat1940
07-16-2012, 04:55 AM
I agree John, I stick with my choice, but as I said in my post before, they are both very beautiful

Mairzie Dotes
07-16-2012, 06:51 AM
cartoonman,
You obviously have a natural talent for portraits. All are
beautiful in their own right of an intriguing personality.
The palette, texture and blending is rich and inviting.
Excellent work! :)

toxicrf
07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I prefer the first.

Out of interest, are you going to get this on canvas?

What kind of resoution and dpi are they?

All three versions are really very good.

cartuneman
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Well folks it was decided my neighbor liked the first one. His wife was happy with all of them, but they decided to keep the first.

toxicrf to answer your questions: They are going to get a print from office max i think but I told them that there are several places to get prints on canvas. I gave them a couple locations locally that do that. The dpi is 300 and the size of the print is I if I remember right are 15x16 inches. I sold them the Cd with all the files. thanks for liking the art!

tinzo
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
I see a lesson here buddy...Never ask others to choose from your work.
You'll get a million different answers.......:D :D :D

D Akey
07-17-2012, 02:25 AM
Well, the first one is more in your style. The second one washes out a bit of the painterly-ness. One of the things you seem to do stylistically is give your figures the look, a little bit in the strokes, of clay sculpture that hasn't been smoothed out entirely. And the fact that you can still present females femininely, who in real life are more into smoothness of skin, in stroked ways, where you yet don't put those two aspects in conflict, it's remarkable.

This woman looks fantastic. I don't know which she would like more. My guess, because she is female, the second one. But I like the first only a little more than the second. The thing is, there is a different complexion to each, and I don't know which she never having seen her. The second one looks a little blonder. The first a little more like she has light streaked hair. And those tones carry into the whole picture respectively.

They both look most alluring to my eye. Remarkable work.

ADDENDUM:

I forgot to mention, being that I was totally enamored by the painting, that the iris of the eyes might be just a little turned away, looking over her shoulder as it were. Right now they're not very visible and all one can really see are the whites, which gives it something a trance-like effect. I could be wrong, and the photo may have had it exactly that way, but if you agree, maybe you could hint at the irises being just a very little more clear. What do you think? It probably looked that way in the photo. Dunno.

But I wouldn't say to make the iris real prominent, because that wouldn't match the feel and style of the painting in this case. I mean you can keep the reflective nature of the moist eye going across the middle of the eye laterally, and just indicate it the iris above and below that streak maybe. Hard to work from a photo when that's all you have. And it's hard to know what would look good without doing the painting.

But anyway, if you don't remember her eye color, and the painting's a surprise to her, you can invite them over for BBQ or something, and sit across the table from her and point past her shoulder and ask, "Take a gander at that." And she'll say, "What?" and you keep stalling her. "That. Right over your shoulder. Can't you see it?" And so forth. Before they come to dinner, have your wife or daughter stand in for her, and check the lighting so when she's there you know you can see.

Good luck!

cartuneman
07-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Mr D Akey thank you so much for commenting. It's so funny i was trying to see what you were pointing out in her eyes yesterday as she was here and was looking at my art work in the Den. I was trying so hard to capture that look but it was hard. In person she has very light to grey lavender eyes. My wife says it's like looking into the eyes of a wolf. lol anyway thanks for all the great advice! She wants me to paint a portrait of her husband so we'll see how i do at painting guys now lol.

tinzo
All of a Muddle
I see a lesson here buddy...Never ask others to choose from your work.
You'll get a million different answers.......:D :D :D

I have to agree Mr tinzo, but it do get input and I love to see what other people see....

kenmo
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Love the results.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Caesar
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
I like the second the most anyway and if I were Your neighbor I would also be a little jealous, because it seems you captured so well her beauty and charm, her personality, that it means Your art gave You a sort of intimacy with Your model that no authomatic camera shot would ever. :) Excellent!

screenpainter
07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
very nice portrait, but I agree with Akey, the iris should show I would think in her left eye on our right. It's very odd without a touch of it showing.