PDA

View Full Version : Album leaf: Pressed flower ...

chinapete
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
... a long-forgotten flower discovered between the pages of a heavy book ... here revivified in AR oils approximating inks ...

screenpainter
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
sweet. great idea to retrieve and reuse for the sake of art. nice art piece. looks like a beautiful representation. colors are spot on and the textures and delicateness are great.

chinapete
07-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi SP ... thanks for the comments ... this was also an attempt to capture a sense of fragility, and in this I was only marginally successful, and so will be returning to it again and again ...

gxhpainter2
07-09-2012, 02:24 AM
chinapete...as albert noted a great concept and expertly carried out..the delicate faded colors, and overlaid edges and folds.. whisper of fragrance long ago, a moment in time that wanted to be saved and savored ...a visual poem in its own right.:cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
07-09-2012, 03:57 AM
this is so beautifully done chinapete, just exceptional, true artist you are

jibes
07-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Some great texture work here with a nice subtle color scheme!

Shibui
07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I love this and it is bittersweet since my Mom passed April 6 and I need to go check the flowers that I pressed. Still in denial , but this may get me kick started. Thanks

chinapete
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Shibui, my condolences ... if this flower brought you a found moment in the midst of your loss, then it was worth doing ...

Shibui
07-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Shibui, my condolences ... if this flower brought you a found moment in the midst of your loss, then it was worth doing ...
It most definitely did and I don't know why , but thank you. I am sure there will be many more little flashes , and I will treasure them all ! Just know that you have touched someone tonite!!!!!!!!!

Caesar
07-09-2012, 08:46 PM
One of Your best and a great artpiece in my view. You show what is in the title ... or let our mind show us.:confused::rolleyes::)

chinapete
07-10-2012, 04:10 AM
...thanks everyone for the generous comments ...

silvy
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow:) great effect of pressing between pages. You express the true essence of the flower.

Alexandra
07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
How lovely Chinapete:):):):):):):):)

chinapete
08-09-2012, 10:27 AM
... I want to revive this thread for a moment, I was inspired by looking at ruby.freesia's Hibiscus and the photo she published with it, and I've been talking about the relation between photography and painting in another thread, so I want to say a little something about Pressed Flower, how it came about ...

... I've attached an image of the actual pressed flower (left), after I had excised it carefully from between the pages of an old book, somehow I managed to keep it intact and was able to place it on a sheet of rice paper, and as I was looking at it against the white of the paper, I began to see a painting, but so delicate was the actual object, like gossamer wings, at first I didn't know where to start ... usually one begins by asking where the highlights are, but the light throughout the pressed flower was so diffuse, the question of how it was possible to see the image at all came to mind, and after a while I began to think, where is the darkest dark ...

... now that I look at the photo and painting side by side, I must confess that my copy is not very well conceived or executed, reality often is a severe teacher, but fortunately it is not the only source for learning or inspiration, and my Pressed Flower can at least be said to be an arrangement of dark heavy harmonious tones that look something like petals of a pressed flower, so all was not lost :) ...

ruby.freesia
08-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Thank you Chinapete! Sorry, I checked the thread back a little late. In a way it is great that the photos and paintings are not identical because a painting uncovers the artist's angle while a photo the photographer's. The results are stunning:)
And the idea too, not many would have thought a withered flower being a subject of colourful a creation:)

gxhpainter2
08-24-2012, 07:33 AM
great idea to see the original inspiration for a work and then the artists effort and interpretation. Thanks for sharing this moment.:):)

D Akey
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Ah, my take on the whole process is that you, Mr Pete, are consistent with your erstwhile blowing up details from famous paintings. One could look at your details as just that, like small pressed flowers from centuries past that may have once been entire bouquets, but one grabs only one or so to be pressed between the pages of a sturdy book, as most art books tend to be.

So it's right up your alley, only the instance of the 'flower' has changed. The metaphor remains.

Nice one!

chinapete
08-25-2012, 12:57 AM
d akey, it was an art book, how did you know? an old edition of Max Doerner's "The Materials of the Artist and Their Use in Painting: With Notes on the Techniques of the Old Masters" -- long forgotten by most artists practicing today, I'm sure ... I liked to look at the grainy black and white photos of the Titians, and read about the great things the old masters were able to do with very simple materials, even though how they did it sometimes still is a mystery ...

thanks gary and ruby.f, and all who commented ...