PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts in the sand

gxhpainter2
07-07-2012, 07:59 AM
I was watching a OPB ( Oregon Public Broadcast ) show about digging up artifacts in a small English village ( people dug 1 meter square pits) supervised by official Archeologists and they found small colored bits dating back to Viking invasions, Romans etc.. amazing small bits of history they were living on top of.... anyway that was the inspiration for this piece.

chinapete
07-07-2012, 09:04 AM
... jewel-like shapes and colors ...:)

Alexandra
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Another cool one dear Gary!

Tanzenkran
07-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Pleasant palette. Cool and refreshing.

D Akey
07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Rather reminds me of a quilt - various segments from elsewhere brought together for a new purpose. Also the texture has a woven appearance, leading me to the idea of fabric patches. Thematically it has rural associations to me - something that can also be rolled out when you want to make such an association.

It would look great in a modern country kitchen (cottage) or something (as a possible place to put it were you 'hanging' your work into architectural digest photos to see how it plays in a room). Might also play well over a toy chest with stuffed animals below as a counterpoint. Not saying this to diminish your painting. It's just how my mind was free associating. It's different enough from the usual pics of roosters and pigs and shadow boxes, though it's has a foot in both camps - crafts rustic and artsy modern.

----- above is before reading what you wrote.

Having read your intention/inspiration, it's intriguing that you got visually to this. I would suggest continuing. I like the ideas. Has a little of the Swedish colors to it for me.

Marilyn Anne
07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I saw the same show and also thought it was very intriguing . Nice thought to put it into art work and the painting is interesting too. Good job!

limey-g
07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Nicely done Gary, sure has the look of pieces of pottery etc that you find on these digs.
Geoff

pat1940
07-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Gary, this is so pretty, a diamond in the rough lol great job as always

gxhpainter2
07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I was watching a OPB ( Oregon Public Broadcast ) show about digging up artifacts in a small English village ( people dug 1 meter square pits) supervised by official Archeologists and they found small colored bits dating back to Viking invasions, Romans etc.. amazing small bits of history they were living on top of.... anyway that was the inspiration for this piece.

... jewel-like shapes and colors ...:) Thanks chinapete, as a matter of fact originally I was going to call it Jewels in the sand but changed to match the idea of find pottery fragments, and bit of iron and silver..and gold..:cool:

Another cool one dear Gary!Thanks dear Sandy:):)

Pleasant palette. Cool and refreshing.thanks for commenting always appreciated here..:):):)

Rather reminds me of a quilt - various segments from elsewhere brought together for a new purpose. Also the texture has a woven appearance, leading me to the idea of fabric patches. Thematically it has rural associations to me - something that can also be rolled out when you want to make such an association.

It would look great in a modern country kitchen (cottage) or something (as a possible place to put it were you 'hanging' your work into architectural digest photos to see how it plays in a room). Might also play well over a toy chest with stuffed animals below as a counterpoint. Not saying this to diminish your painting. It's just how my mind was free associating. It's different enough from the usual pics of roosters and pigs and shadow boxes, though it's has a foot in both camps - crafts rustic and artsy modern.

----- above is before reading what you wrote.

Having read your intention/inspiration, it's intriguing that you got visually to this. I would suggest continuing. I like the ideas. Has a little of the Swedish colors to it for me. Always a treat to get you impressions on my work. I do see the quilting aspect.. a crazy quilt is one of those made of irregular patches.. always fun... I guess the blues and whites are the hint of Swedish color you mention I am quite of the CoBrA school and their artistic goals, and colors.

Nicely done Gary, sure has the look of pieces of pottery etc that you find on these digs. Thanks Geoff glad you stopped by for a quick look.
Geoff

Gary, this is so pretty, a diamond in the rough lol great job as always Thanks Pat

gxhpainter2
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I saw the same show and also thought it was very intriguing . Nice thought to put it into art work and the painting is interesting too. Good job! Great so you saw that show also. I thought I was amazing that they got the whole village involved in the dig and what they found!...English history is so rich and varied.. must be hard to learn all that in school... I was terrible with dates and names...;)

RobertSWade
07-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Gary,
Isn't it fascinating that we all live "on top" of the past and will never see it? Great job of using art to convey that.

jibes
07-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Gary. Having seen the show of which you speak (I'm assuming so of course) I can relate to your Painting! You have been inspired and set it down in art. Good job!

Caesar
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Interesting considerations and a lovely painting depicting the idea.
I see what You mean! Here You can hardly build anything without, after digging, still discover some archaelogical pieces and ruin and, often enough, stunning ones or even fundamantal new sites further improving the surprise and wonder on our past where so many populations lived, passed, conquered and settled conquered on their turn (from Arabians to Normans, from Swabians to Spanish, from Greeks/ Bizantynes to Middle-eastern populations, from barbarians of any kind to French).
The only problem is that You have to stop Your works and leave expert assess before You may re-start Your works (not always) or modify them to preserve something duly in place.

gxhpainter2
07-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Gary,
Isn't it fascinating that we all live "on top" of the past and will never see it? Great job of using art to convey that. Robert.. yes a fascinating idea.. that under your lawn lies so much history..

Gary. Having seen the show of which you speak (I'm assuming so of course) I can relate to your Painting! You have been inspired and set it down in art. Good job! Thanks Neal... it was an eye opening show..

Interesting considerations and a lovely painting depicting the idea.
I see what You mean! Here You can hardly build anything without, after digging, still discover some archaelogical pieces and ruin and, often enough, stunning ones or even fundamantal new sites further improving the surprise and wonder on our past where so many populations lived, passed, conquered and settled conquered on their turn (from Arabians to Normans, from Swabians to Spanish, from Greeks/ Bizantynes to Middle-eastern populations, from barbarians of any kind to French).
The only problem is that You have to stop Your works and leave expert assess before You may re-start Your works (not always) or modify them to preserve something duly in place. Thanks Caesar living where you do you have even a longer, richer, and more complex history buried in the land and layered with so much of the past

Bobbi
07-10-2012, 04:02 AM
I can see this on a wall with thin chrome frame. Looks good!!

barnburner
07-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Great stuff Gary. I can see very well the archeological dig in this. Good job. :) :) :)

silvy
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Very good work!:)

kenmo
07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Wonderful work Gary!!!!!

gxhpainter2
07-11-2012, 07:39 AM
I can see this on a wall with thin chrome frame. Looks good!! Thanks Bobbi... I think you are right that would be a great frame for this.:):)

Great stuff Gary. I can see very well the archeological dig in this. Good job. :) :) :) Thanks BB....glad you liked it.:):)

Very good work!:)Thanks Silvy...always a pleasure to have you stop by and comment.:cool::):)

Wonderful work Gary!!!!! Kenmo... so good to hear from you again, hope your doing well...:):)

sabena
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
wonderful abstract painting:)

iceaxe
07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
A stark clean and tidy assemblage that conflates together nicely!

gxhpainter2
07-29-2012, 02:43 AM
wonderful abstract painting:) Sabena... thanks sorry to be so slow in responding.

A stark clean and tidy assemblage that conflates together nicely! iceaxe thanks for doing what appears to be a review of my recent work...I am flattered you took the time..:):)