PDA

View Full Version : Salt Creek

jibes
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I read about Glazing with Oils, Acrylics and Watercolor and thought that I would try it in AR. I reasoned the best way to simulate this would be using layers. So that's what I did here. Start with something and glaze with a layer, then merge it down and do it again and again building up as you go along. Easy because you can just add what you want and erase parts you didn't like or didn't mean to glaze. Like the trees for example, you could glaze the background and go right over them and then erase the over the tree part and your tree is restored. Works well! I would think you could introduce a texture into the glazing layer by using a Stencil or Sticker or layer paper type of course. Also using the opacity of the layer you can control the amount of glazing you apply. Anyway give it a try and I'm sure you will like it.

jibes
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
BTW, I mainly used the Oil brush with the pressure very light and the Thinning almost all the way up. I think I had the 'insta dry' turned on as well. You can try different things of course but those settings worked for me.

screenpainter
07-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Beautiful piece.

Caesar
07-05-2012, 07:00 PM
You got a marvellous painting here! I like it very much and the palette is just marvellous, as well as the patterns from the trees ...

semd74
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I like this painting...and I too, use a glazing technique many times with my work

Peter Pinckney
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I love this one...................great colours!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

chinapete
07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
jibes ... I think you will agree that this technique does result in a more "painterly" look ... like Cezanne's boldly outlined trees and thinly glazed surfaces when he was going for watercolor effects in oils ... I never use layers, so I can't comment on that ... but in Salt Creek, there is a fair amount of scumbling in addition to glazing, and that may also be a consequence of layering, depending on whether conceptually you felt you were working from light to dark, or dark to light ... thankfully, in digital art we don't have to worry about drying time ...

Marilyn Anne
07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I like the colors and the overall effect. Very painterly. An attractive piece.

gxhpainter2
07-06-2012, 05:11 AM
neal,, very very nice. this has tremendous painterly look and finish blended with your own style..I use this technique a ton and found that it gives a richer more complex look to the colors you can't get any other way..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::co ol:

pat1940
07-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Very, very nice Neal, all your efforts paid off greatly

limey-g
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Nicely done and thanks for the insight into glazing, something I know little about.
Geoff

coops
07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
This has a really nice feel to it, almost dreamlike. Well done:)

jibes
07-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks to all who commented and viewed. Happy to hear others using this method and others might have learned something by my post. It does work great! Gary, I can see how this would be good for your great textural and colorful effects.

barnburner
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Great job Neal. Just an idea. Couldn't you for instance put the background on a separate layer, and glaze it, saving you having to go back and erase over the trees?
Regardless, very nice job. :) :) :)

jibes
08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Burner of Barns.
Yes you can but when you glaze over the background on another layer then you want it to look like it was natural rather than like you painted in between trees and such. then erasing the glaze over the foreground is easier than painting betwixt stuff. And another nice thing about this process is using the opacity dial to back off the intensity of the glaze (if needed) so only a hint of color/texture shows.
I hope I have explained it well and also thanks for the reply.

silvy
09-02-2012, 02:34 AM
I like very much this painting, great colours and glaze effects:)
I often use an Artpack from Screenpainter that contains brush glazer and add some personal settings and presets :
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?37627-artist-oil-brushes
I've found it very useful.