PDA

View Full Version : Fingal's Cave ...

chinapete
07-02-2012, 02:28 AM
... this is a one-off watercolor and oil I produced while testing out my new iPad ... there's a bit of an issue with the watercolor tool and I'm exploring work-arounds ... Anyway, Fingal's Cave was a popular source of Romantic painting and poetry, a sea-cave off the coast of Scotland ...

gxhpainter2
07-02-2012, 04:08 AM
nice work I like the super dark hues and the hint of warmth and safety in the reddish glow..

D Akey
07-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Spelunk powers "Activate!"

I say, Ali Baba? Is that you kid? Got a lamp?

On a trip through 'Copper Country' there was an abandoned mine, and as one can in such places, I experienced a total and complete lack of light. This pic of yours must be a little closer to the entrance. The concept and experience was fine as a novelty. Couldn't be repeated in my case because I had to drive a ways to get there. Might have been interesting as a sensory deprivation kind of thing if repeated or I was alone. Got in some faintly interesting things with my optical bits seeking around for something to process.

This painting is rather similar for me. For me it's a conceptual curiosity rather than an experience, that is trying to see if anything comes of it, like running into Gollum or discovering Radium or something.

So China Pete, I would say "Follow the light at the end of the tunnel. . ." but I'm pretty sure you're not yet ready for that bit of advice. Anyway it sounds like you're done with this cave and are off to other adventures.

chinapete
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
... thank you, fellow spelunkers ... D Akey, I'd follow you into that cave, but I'm afraid of the dark, except in painting, where I'm drawn to black like an old moth to an extinguished flame, hehe ...