PDA

View Full Version : Standing in Grandma's Kitchen

L Skylar Brown
07-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I have been working on this for a few weeks. The kitchen is based on my Mother's old house. Thomas Wolf wrote that you can never go home again. I know why - because it's not where you left it. We artists can almost go back. At least, in our works...
2 layers. Impressionistic Oils. Orig working size appx. 3600x1800 pxls at 200 ppi.

Peter Pinckney
07-01-2012, 11:13 AM
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
yes!

D Akey
07-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Got to pay your dues if you want to paint the blues. . . or sepias considering there's a strong element of nostalgia in this.

Great expression. It reminds me a bit of the energy of Paul Newman in Hud. Different look to the guy, and a different story, but it's still the story of a character type in a universal kind of moment.

But like in the Hud world, this has a similar feel for me of separation in a farming/ranching kind of place, which in this case feels like he outgrew the place, or went in search of something else and found at least part of it. I've seen stunningly naturally beautiful people in some very out of the way places when I traveled the back roads of the USA in my own personal searching as a youth. He could be one of them. Most seemed to want to leave. And he seems to represent them all.

I really like what you said as your intention and comments with this. My observation is that you really hit it perfectly.

Great still life stuff on the counter. It really tells a story and puts me as if to bask in the smell of cooling long ago apple pies. You pulled me in as viewer right into the tone. I understand this guy's situation from the attention to details and tone of the work. Reads like a journal or diary.

Excellent, Skylar. Beyond anything you've ever done, and you've done some really good stuff.

cripster
07-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Nice my friend :)

limey-g
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Nice job, looks like a scene from the fifties, well painted.
Geoff

HarlequiNQB
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Nice work Skylar - Like it. Very relaxed yet controlled :)

semd74
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice painting...sort of reminds me of my own grandma's kitchen...nostalgic

Marilyn Anne
07-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Love the self portrait. Such a strong figure. The kitchen is wonderful. Good job all around.

GRSArts
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Love it. Great setting.

Alexandra
07-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Oh yeah. Love it! :)x1 million.:D

gxhpainter2
07-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Skylar I can only echo the enthusiastic response to this.. the tones in the old kitchen and the figure are so in sync...

pat1940
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Skylar, this is so appealing, for some reason I just cant stop starring at your paintings lol I quess I like them a lot lol:D:D:D:D:D

Caesar
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
An excellent painting. A moving nostalgic mood and a great younger Skylar portrait (I guess), welcoming and greeting us from an old, sweet past ou of the memories. A meaningful and deep statement and feeling.

coops
07-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh memories are made with this wonderful painting, well done Skylar:)

silvy
07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Wonderful as always Skylar:):)