PDA

View Full Version : My friend Dani ( with update)

limey-g
06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Done for a friend, I find it so difficult sometimes to get the likeness just right of someone you know, unlike a fictitious character, the slightest miss alignment of an element in the face can really alter the appearance as does the use of shadows and colour to give the face the correct structure.Sure is a learning process.
Geoff.

Marilyn Anne
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM
I think you have done a very good job. The painting is lovely.

gxhpainter2
06-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Geoff...a wonderful portrait, the rich colors play well against her skin tones.. you have painted a beautiful woman and since we don't know her this work definitely makes it own impression of character and personality... well done!!.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

limey-g
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Thanks Marilyn & gxhpainter much appreciated.
Geoff

pat1940
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Goeff, I know what you mean, I tried to paint my daughter but I felt like I had tunnel vision lol, you did a good job, much better than mine :D:D:D:D:D:D

limey-g
06-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Geoff, I know what you mean, I tried to paint my daughter but I felt like I had tunnel vision lol, you did a good job, much better than mine :D:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks Pat, I am glad it is not only me that finds this kind of work difficult, it is a good job we have layers that at least allows us to try things out on a duplicate layer, leaving the work so far untouched.
Regards Geoff

D Akey
06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Good one, Limey-G. You talk about perfect details being essential to likeness. It's true and I'll tell you one place that will make all the difference: If you straightened the hair on the far side of the neck where it comes into the jaw, you'll make it read better and more dimensionally. It's a small detail is all. Right now the curve implies a lack of dimension where the jaw and neck are on the same plane. On a copy, you may want to try that very slight change.

Her face looks great.

coops
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
This is beautiful Geoff and she is a beautiful lady, well done:)

limey-g
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Good one, Limey-G. You talk about perfect details being essential to likeness. It's true and I'll tell you one place that will make all the difference: If you straightened the hair on the far side of the neck where it comes into the jaw, you'll make it read better and more dimensionally. It's a small detail is all. Right now the curve implies a lack of dimension where the jaw and neck are on the same plane. On a copy, you may want to try that very slight change.

Her face looks great.

Thanks D Akey I really appreciate your critical look over my work and , I can see where you are coming from and I realized that something was not quite right there but could not identify the problem.
Did some more work on it and it has made a difference.
Kind regards.
Geoff

limey-g
06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
This is beautiful Geoff and she is a beautiful lady, well done:)

Thanks coops for your kind words ,Dani is a really nice person .
Geoff

gxhpainter2
06-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Geoff.. that little correction as suggested by D Akey really did help...:):):)

Caesar
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
You're so absolutely correct as for the difficulty to get likeness in a portrait, especially of someone You know well. As a matter of fact recognizability quite often requires not only quite perfect proportions, but also to recall some distinctive traits or expression you have in Your mind as inextricably tied to a person. In other words, the statement of a personality through its features.
You did a great work so far though, for anyone not familiar with her.
Anyway, taking in consideration Your own assessment, You just have to look to what should be better put in evidence, underlined, made prevail on the rest, probably. Here everything seem to have the same importance and nothing appear too incisive, distictive, maybe. I think You should consider what should pop out a little more tonally and through some darker, outlining trait.

limey-g
06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks Caesar for your comments and I must have done something right as Dani really likes what i have done.
On a different note well done on your team moving on in the football( I think you had a better goal keeper);)
Geoff

Caesar
06-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Thank You, dear Geoff! I guess You're back to Canadian flag now. LOL
Our victory wasn't for granted but Germany's captain Lahm forecasted which was the strongest team better than English bookmakers did. ;)
Actually I think that Your goal keeper, all Your defenders at least and Your good star (apart from three big mistakes by our attackers) behaved pretty well up to the the penalties, looking also to the stats, else we would have not seen the penalties shoot-off. :D
Anyway military honors to Mr. Hodgson and to all the English team and supporters who showed to be brave and fair. To this purpose, as You can see, I prepared a quick drawing on the Big Game.
Now I'll have to find some German mate for mutually provoking each other on next match result.:confused::rolleyes::D

pat1940
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Very, very nice Geoff, it does make a difference, what would we do without dear Mr. DAkey, he is a great teacher

limey-g
06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Very, very nice Geoff, it does make a difference, what would we do without dear Mr. DAkey, he is a great teacher

Thank you Pat, that is what is great about the forum, members offer such good advice on improving ones work.
Geoff

damasocl
06-27-2012, 11:24 AM
A wonderful portrait!!!
Congratulations...:rolleyes:

barnburner
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
What a terrific job you have done with this Geoff. She is very pretty, and I'm sure she will be very proud of this. :) :) :)

limey-g
06-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks domasoci & barnburner for your kind words, Dani was pleased with it.
Geoff

semd74
06-28-2012, 12:43 AM
This is a fantastic painting Geoff !!

limey-g
06-28-2012, 01:06 AM
This is a fantastic painting Geoff !!

Thanks semd74 appreciate your comments.
Kind regards ,Geoff