PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt to paint watercolor in AR - il Ponte dei sospiri

Gaia
06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
I've seen some really beautiful watercolors here at the community and I wanted to give it a try myself.
Watercolor is hard in IR too, and in AR it is a challenge even if you are able to regret your brushes all the time.
I did a painting of some pencil sketches I did in Venice a couple of years ago.
I made a lot of mistakes in this one, and I'm sad to say that I don't remember the settings for the strokes I'm happy with, there are so many controls so I get dizzy.

If you have any tips I'll be grateful.

hypotaxis
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
It looks good Gaia.

Tips? What works for me is is use layer after layer. If you are adding colour make a new layer and then merge it back down onto the original layer, that way you stop your colours getting muddy. Use BIG brushes and lots (70+%) of thinners. I use the delicate on dry brush a lot of the time. I use the tiny frost knife to blend colours most of the time. Turn off auto clean in the options and try playing with that. Oh, and make sure you have 'real colour blending' turned on: [Tools][Colour options][real colour blending].

In peace

Brett

D Akey
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Looks great. Venice is a natural for artists. Makes me want to go back.

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
It looks good Gaia.

Tips? What works for me is is use layer after layer. If you are adding colour make a new layer and then merge it back down onto the original layer, that way you stop your colours getting muddy. Use BIG brushes and lots (70+%) of thinners. I use the delicate on dry brush a lot of the time. I use the tiny frost knife to blend colours most of the time. Turn off auto clean in the options and try playing with that. Oh, and make sure you have 'real colour blending' turned on: [Tools][Colour options][real colour blending].

In peace

Brett
Thanks for the tips Brett, I used so many layers so I got confused, but didn't merged them, I'll try that...and the other things you wrote about. Yes, bigger brushes is better, I got a little too pedantic I understand. Turn out auto clean sounds good too...

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Looks great. Venice is a natural for artists. Makes me want to go back.

Oh yes, I also want to go back, with my iPad this time...

JoshFahran
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
a fantastic piece mate!

screenpainter
06-15-2012, 02:12 PM
looking good!

limey-g
06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I really like this, well done, and thanks for the water colour tips.
Geoff

Caesar
06-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Dear Gaia, it's not bad at all. Many of us did sensibly worse in their first attempt with AR watercolors (I'm in the bunch :DLOL).

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
a fantastic piece mate!

Thanks Josh, I had a lot of fun while painting it:p

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
looking good!
Thanks! I have downloaded your sumi brushes, it's so generous of you guys to share these things.

PaperTree
06-15-2012, 10:12 PM
You have made a good start here, and if you want to stop it is just lovely as a sketch exercise. Save this one and copy it and keep going so you have the two to compare later. I do that often when I am learning.

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
I really like this, well done, and thanks for the water colour tips.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, much appreciated!

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Dear Gaia, it's not bad at all. Many of us did sensibly worse in their first attempt with AR watercolors (I'm in the bunch :DLOL).

Thanks for the encouragement Caesar:) I think I have to make a lot of tests with the settings of the different brushes, now it's pure chance what the strokes will look like. I would love to make a big wash with dark color that does not look smeared...

Gaia
06-15-2012, 10:33 PM
You have made a good start here, and if you want to stop it is just lovely as a sketch exercise. Save this one and copy it and keep going so you have the two to compare later. I do that often when I am learning.

Thanks a lot PaperTree. I think the painting is ready as it is, my problem is that I wish it to be even more rough and more like a sketch. When I try to make strong and bold strokes they tend to look smeared:(
Yes, to copy and to make another try is a good idea.
I took a look at your gallery, and I loved your onions:)

eighty+
06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi. Gala. Must say I do like your sketching. And your water colour. I would

Be chuffed to bits if I could do it as half as good. Congrats. :D:D

shadowslake
06-16-2012, 01:25 AM
From what I see here you dont need any advice. Wonderfuly done. Love it.

I've seen some really beautiful watercolors here at the community and I wanted to give it a try myself.
Watercolor is hard in IR too, and in AR it is a challenge even if you are able to regret your brushes all the time.
I did a painting of some pencil sketches I did in Venice a couple of years ago.
I made a lot of mistakes in this one, and I'm sad to say that I don't remember the settings for the strokes I'm happy with, there are so many controls so I get dizzy.

If you have any tips I'll be grateful.

coops
06-16-2012, 02:46 AM
A vedry lovely scene and so very well painted:)

chinapete
06-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Hi Gaia, what do you mean when you say, "I would love to make a big wash with dark color that does not look smeared..."

Gaia
06-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi. Gala. Must say I do like your sketching. And your water colour. I would

Be chuffed to bits if I could do it as half as good. Congrats. :D:D
Thanks eighty and skål, as we say in Sweden! I saw your stunning portrait earlier, it looked awesome. With my bad English vocabulary, I know I always sound like the Swedish chef in the muppet show:(

Gaia
06-16-2012, 07:02 AM
From what I see here you dont need any advice. Wonderfuly done. Love it.

Thanks a lot for your kind words, but I really do need advice. I'm amazed by the program possibilities but I can't make the brushes what I really want them to do.
I must admit that sometimes they do better than my brain have figured out...

Gaia
06-16-2012, 07:03 AM
A vedry lovely scene and so very well painted:)

Thanks a lot coop!

Gaia
06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Hi Gaia, what do you mean when you say, "I would love to make a big wash with dark color that does not look smeared..."

Hi Pete, I dont have any pics of smudge strokes just now, but in the program they pop up all the time (at least when I am steering controls).
I post a detail view of the water in the channel on my painting. I did not get what I wanted and I don't know how to manage the settings. The strokes became with very sharp dry pigment edge. When I want to have that kind of dry edge I select pigments for this in real life. Here I would like to have large strokes of a color with no edge, as in the quick little sketch I did by hand, which I also post. I aim for a large area with vibrant color that does not smudge, and without sharp edges drying.

AR detail:

What I want to achieve:

chinapete
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
I see ... If you explore the tips that Brett and others have given, I'm sure you will achieve the effect you want ... And if the attached image is at all close, then the settings for the resident watercolor Dry on Wet brush are as you see them (Pressure 50%, Thinner < 30%, Load 30%, Paper Wet On, Insta-Dry On, Auto-clean Off ... Two strokes in a single layer, a lighter for background and a darker stroke on top ...

Gaia
06-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks a lot Pete, that was of great help!

I'm going away for a couple of day's so I've only had time to test your settings briefly this morning.
I got some very nice strokes but are not satisfied with the blurred edges where the strokes are broadest (I use the wacom). I find it hard to explain in English and do not have time to post a picture before I'm leaving.

Another thing I wonder about, and that surprised me - when I set the Load 30%, why does not the color run out of the brush as it does in other cases and that one can make use of ?

Thanks again for taking your time!

silvy
06-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Very lovely watercolor Gaia!:) Great work

Weeks
06-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Fantastic job Gaia :eek:,

Best,

Weeks

pat1940
06-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Gaia, you are doing really good so keep it up would love to see more