PDA

View Full Version : Finally started after 30+ yrs. ... a daily sketchbook (iPad)

illustratedword
05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I've been meaning to do this for the past 30+ yrs. after finishing art school and FINALLY started last week ....

I knew it would be helpful to carry a sketchbook with me to do quick random sketches as the opportunity arrises throughout the day. After school came family, busy work schedule, etc. and the sketchbook just never happened. Many of you can relate to that.
My goal is to keep it up on a regular basis. By "Regular" I mean Daily without the added pressure to get one done EVERY day! I have to be realistic here. ;-)

Here's a sampling from my first week. My "sketchbook" is an iPad using ArtRage app which allows me to jump between oils, watercolor and ink pen without the mess, clutter and hassle. I created two custom brushes that I use for 90% of my color sketches. Trying to keep it real simple and work fast.

Just everyday subjects a blanket thrown on an old couch in the living room, a wicker chair in the coffee corner at the local Grocery store (free wifi spot!), and random people at the nearby Mall Food Court. Some half finished or quick scribbles before the people get up and leave. Because my day is filled with finishing refined illustrations that meet certain expectations, this is a chance to do anything I want and not feel a need to fix a disaster scribble. So... nothing earth shattering here but at least I finally started!
Perhaps this will stoke a fire under someone to finally do the same.

~ Tim

D Akey
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice practiced hand. I love the notion of sketching as you go about. Used to do it but with traditional media, like pen and ink, markers, pencils and an occasional wash. What a world of portability the iPad opens up to the artist. Very nicely realized. :D:D:D

pat1940
05-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Good for you Tim, better late than never as they say, and I think you sketches are great, welcome to the forum and looking forward to more:D:D:D

Caesar
05-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Welcome and congrats for Your masterfully executed sketches!

gxhpainter2
05-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Nice sketchs Tim,, and welcome...with AR and your iPad you have the best "sketchbook" I could imagine and no mess!... excellent work... the art school training shows;)

GRSArts
05-31-2012, 03:58 AM
Tim, I love it. You inspire me to put my ipad to more use. Great sketches!!

coops
05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Welcome to the forums and love your sketches, they show that you have a lot of talent:)

limey-g
05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the forum, we look forward to viewing more of your work.
Geoff

screenpainter
05-31-2012, 09:55 AM
love the style of your ipad sketches. I agree with Gary the art training really shows in these. Glad that the tech of ipad could aid in bringing the idea of a daily sketchbook to fruition. It looks as if it was always meant to be ... the idea was long overdue and welcomed with enthusiasm by your appreciative audience... us. :D

illustratedword
05-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks all for the encouraging responses. Still have to figure out how to go about drawing people who are unaware of what I'm doing, without staring at them. I've been taught to constantly look at the subject and only glance at the canvas. Now I need to do the opposite when sketching people in public places. :-)~ Tim

screenpainter
06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
I wonder if you could get away with using the camera app on the ipad? Just for a backup to the original sketch.

Chaseart
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Really good work! I wish I could get an Ipad. Someday hehe.

jibes
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Great idea and nicely presented! Welcome to you and we are looking to see many more!

damasocl
06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Wonderful sketchs!!!
We are looking to see many more!

illustratedword
06-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I wonder if you could get away with using the camera app on the ipad? Just for a backup to the original sketch.

I was going to use the camera for capturing a fleeting moment I wanted to sketch or if I found an interesting subject for that day's sketch but just wouldn't have time to sit and sketch it until later. Nice to have the option if needed. The ArtRage reference photo pin board is a helpful feature in the app.

No sketching tomorrow... I'll be busy walking my daughter down the isle. I'm the photographer for the wedding as well so I expect to have a few potential reference photos for a sketch later when I have time to sit. :-)

~ Tim

illustratedword
06-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Another iPad sketch from last week when I spent a few days camping with the family at the beach in Cape May, NJ oldest seaside resort in the US. The entire town is a registered historical landmark with amazing examples of 19th-C. Victorian period buildings. Located at the southern most tip of NJ where you can view the sunrise and sunset on the ocean! :-)

~ Tim

iPad(3) sketch, Wacom Bamboo stylus, ArtRage, 2048x2048px (max. res. possible w/app).

screenpainter
06-20-2012, 05:41 AM
tim, congrats on the wedding. sounds like a beautiful trip and that is a beauty of painting you did as well.