PDA

View Full Version : Ink and Watercolor Horse - inspired by Marta Gottfried

juliawilliams
05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
So with this one, I tried to duplicate something that had a lot of detail because I'm having trouble with that part of digital art. I'm wondering if I should get a better tablet and stylus that might allow for more minute details? I suppose it just takes practice. Anyway, the original image is here: http://www.artknowledgenews.com/Millard_Sheets_Center_for_the_Arts.html

I loved the rough look of it, but couldn't match that style.

gxhpainter2
05-29-2012, 05:08 AM
a nice work.. I like variety of marks that make up the mane and the wet on wet technique for the body... :):):)

chinapete
05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
What details would you add, if you could? :)

I was drawn to ArtRage because it has superior tools for painting transparently in oils, but also because it excels in water-based tools ... Yet I have been unable to find any digital art program that can imitate what the most basic Chinese hair brush can do easily and with greater versatility, fluidity of stroke, control of line, variation of pressure, split brush, dry/wet, ink-tip and water-shank techniques, all in a single sweep of the brush ...

Marilyn Anne
05-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Very effective watercolor and drawing.

juliawilliams
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Well, it's not the program that's the problem. It's me needing better control. :) Like, trying to make tiny watercolor splashes and more realistic pencil strokes. It's a matter of me learning a lighter touch to master that.

What details would you add, if you could? :)

I was drawn to ArtRage because it has superior tools for painting transparently in oils, but also because it excels in water-based tools ... Yet I have been unable to find any digital art program that can imitate what the most basic Chinese hair brush can do easily and with greater versatility, fluidity of stroke, control of line, variation of pressure, split brush, dry/wet, ink-tip and water-shank techniques, all in a single sweep of the brush ...

PaperTree
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
I think your Horse is lovely. I think you are being too critical of your own work. Sure there is a difference when you compare it to your reference photo, but standing alone without the photo to critic beside it, your horse is fantastic.

On the subject of "a better tablet and stylus that might allow for more minute details?", I moved from an A5 tablet to an A4 tablet and found that the only difference was that my arm got tired with the larger movements I had to make. The advantage of digital art, is that you can enlarge the work to enable you to put the detail into it. Something you cant do (not without magnifying glasses) in the real world.

It is a good painting. Honest.

silvy
05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Very nice work;)

Steve B
05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
I personally disagree re: the lack of benefits from getting a larger tablet. I recently got a 18sx Cintiq, which is 11.5" x 14.5" versus my tablet pc, which is 6.5" x 9.5", and I think there's an amazing difference because of the ergonomics of movement and the arm. Some people paint and draw that way, and size matters, but I think others who are trained on a computer to draw learn different skill sets, IMO. Jut my two cents, as I've been very impressed by how nice he new big space is.

Caesar
05-31-2012, 02:18 AM
I love this watercolor-like style and the horse is just great, so well-proportioned and dynamic!

Fakepivot
05-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Wow fantastic work.. i love those texture thats comming out of it

coops
05-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Delicate yet powerful painting, its great Julia:)

shadowslake
05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Reminds me of cave paintings.

semd74
05-31-2012, 08:07 AM
A fantastic painting !!!

hypotaxis
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Beautiful! Reminds me of Leonardo for some reason.

If you haven't already tried it, try experimenting with the pencil using the 'soft angle' preset. It's great, I think!

Brett

jbeau
05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Beautiful!

screenpainter
05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
It is a beautiful homage to Marta Gottfried's style. I think you achieved it very well. I think, in this case, the student may have actually excelled the teacher's work perhaps. lovely. I loved looking at Marta Gottfried's artwork as well. Thanks for bringing her to my attention.

HarlequiNQB
05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Like Screenpainter I think I prefer your take to the original - they're both beautiful, but yours feels somehow more kinetic :)

Steve B
06-02-2012, 02:55 AM
I've been looking at this all week, and have wanted to say how successful I think this piece is. The form of the horse is really well done, the muscles in hind quarters, where the hip meets the body really give a sense of motion and action in-process. The mane does it too, of course, as well as the canter of the background hind leg.

The image you linked to was rather fuzzy and low res, so I went and found a larger, higher res version. It looks like its almost been done on ceramics. Its very beautiful! What a great image to choose to learn from. :) One of the things I noticed was the action in the mane and tail of the original is very bristle focused, something Artrage isn't really doing yet. But you can also see the swoop of the brush in lovely details going down through the legs or in the ears.

I think one of the hardest things to really capture digitally though is that sense of "action in motion"-- not of the horse, which I think you do well, but of the hand and brush, painting. The painting as the record of a body in motion, like a dance. One of the things I like about the original is the sense of a brush-in-motion. There's a feeling of a ragged, slight dry brush effect being layed down first, with a second, heavier coat of ink being layed down second to add detail.

I think my thoughts or recommendation would be things like this-- What res are you working at? How high is it? Can you play more with the layer textures? How many layers are you using? I think a lot could be gained from trying out using one layer for a light wet wash, using a blender just as you already are doing very well. Then to use another layer with a heavier layer texture, reduce the loading on your brush, and let some bristley grit play out. I think between a) letting the wash layer be less formal and less dense, and b) letting the darker layer be more bristly, you might catch more of the original paintings style and kinetics. That's my take anyways.

I'm unsure if you wanted to more reimagine the original painting or try and learn from it by recreating it. I like the painting you've done quite a lot, but I hope these thoughts might be of some use to you.

edit---
Ahhhhh, you did the bather as well. That explains some of why I liked this painting so much. That other one is really quite good as well. How nice to have you around!!

Alexandra
06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Wonderful work!

damasocl
06-02-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree with Alexandra and other post...
Wonderful painting!