PDA

View Full Version : Dragon

BrettTadlock
05-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Ok, haven't painted a dragon in years. My son asked for one. I think it's almost there, but needs something. Any thoughts on what's working, what's not, and what could be added/taken away to finish it out?

curious jane
05-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Though I am not familiar with western dragons, I will be really satisfied if I were your son.

Docsmith626
05-28-2012, 04:57 AM
My only issue with this is lighting. In the background, it is very clear where the light is coming from. On the Dragon, not so much.

BrettTadlock
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
My only issue with this is lighting. In the background, it is very clear where the light is coming from. On the Dragon, not so much.

Yeah, maybe that's what's bothering me too. I was going for a light from below (maybe a fire he started) and a secondary light from above (a cool light, maybe a moon?). But I don't think I've punched it up enough. Thanks for the feedback Doc!

Curious Jane: Thanks!

DQdowns
07-28-2012, 01:40 AM
I was thinking that maybe you could use a little Gaussian blur on the back ground.

coops
07-28-2012, 02:02 AM
So much work must have gone into this painting and it turned out great:)

silvy
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
WoW:cool::cool:A Superb Dragon!!

shrunkendesigner
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
What you can do is to 'push' the background back and create some distance between the foreground and background. To do this, you need to adjust the values of the background and make them less intense. Because the background is further away, the shadowed areas would be lighter and greyer and the highlights, would be duller.

One way to do this is add some atmospheric mist between the dragon and background. If you've done you image on sperate layers, this will be easy todo. You could use the airbrush to do this but I would prefer to use the ink brush on a low opacity with a greyish colour.