PDA

View Full Version : Girl with a Goldfish Bowl [new version]

Strandy
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Goldfish are more intelligent than most people assume and they love to follow your finger and look at you and play with you.
They have absolutely no privacy. Every movement can be observed and there is no place to hide....
So if you would like a little golden friend to interact with while you sit at your desk all day,
don't be put off by people telling you a goldfish bowl is a cruel habitat...

Alexandra
05-24-2012, 10:39 AM
I cannot help but be drawn into this precious and beautifully painted scene Strandy.:):):):):)

pat1940
05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Agree with Sandy, it is unbelievabel how you are drawn into this beautiful painting, fantastic piece Strandy, I love it so much

eighty+
05-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Das ich gott mien Herr yavool :D :D :D

D Akey
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Very nice picture of the girl and the fishbowl. I love the colored berets. Brightens it 100 fold. Details like that give your portrait of the personality as well as looks an extra level of depth without being too blatant.

There is an area to improve perhaps. I think the window could do with some attention since the difference between the full realization of the girl and her object of focus and the window doesn't quite fill the picture with consistency. The panes are large shapes with little info, which the eye is drawn to, which translates out to being there was a part of the picture you didn't care about. And that gives a very wrong impression.

You needn't have to put much into it, but having something like a blurry cool branch seen though, or the top of a distant tree perhaps? Or distant buildings. A kite? Or the masts on yachts at a marina (being an aquatic theme). Something that gives a reason for windows that we can see through clearly being there at all. And you can also use it as part of your portrait. The environment can then perhaps say something about her.

If you're needing photos to work from, find a photo that fits and composite them as a starting point.

Clearly you have most of the painting working great. So it's perhaps that last blind spot to attend to in future. Bravo! Nice job.

justjean
05-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Strandy, wonderful painting and wonderful compassion in her eyes

Vladislav
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Wonderful!
But the sharply outlined frame window prevents the composition.

shadowslake
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I am in awe at such amaizing work. Hopefully I will be as good one day.

Caesar
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Another superlative portrait, master Strandy! :eek::cool::):):):):):)
Looking at her features ... mmhh ... she might well be Elijah's sister. :rolleyes::confused::)

Strandy
05-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Thank you Sandy and Pat for such warm comments. I'm glad, not to be the only one drawn into it ;)
Hi eighty+ your spontaneous response made my day whole lot nicer than nice.
Thank you D Akey for your comment. As always fair and honest. Yeah, there is always something to do better. I'll think of your advices for sure.
Jean I'm very glad, you liked this one. Yes, sometimes eyes say more than anything else...
Thank you Vladislav for your insight. Valuable hint about the window frame. Something to think of.
I have no doubt shadowslake, that the day will come. Thank you as well :)
Thank you very much dear Caesar. There is nothing, your expert's eye can't see...

Strandy
05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I would like to thank you D Akey again. I changed the window view to something suggested by you. Thank you for painting with ;)

Zeropainter
05-26-2012, 05:12 AM
good work ;) love it

coops
05-26-2012, 05:37 AM
A most beautiful painting and one to treasure, you did a wonderful job Strandy:)

jbeau
05-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Nicely done Strandy! I like her expression and the bowl with its refraction is done very well.

pat1940
05-26-2012, 06:42 AM
As I said before Strandy, I am so drawn into this painting and you took DAkeys advise and it is purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect, love it :D:D:D:D:D

D Akey
05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
WOW!!!!!! Fantastic! She now gives the impression of being surrounded by wonderful things. And of course the way you painted her, with that expression, and all the telling bits are quite rich. You seem to have put love into this picture because that is what it projects, even though I don't know this girl. It becomes almost iconic and I can look at it and feel. Nothing technical is in the way of that message. Well done you!

Strandy
05-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Thank you Zeropainter, I'm happy to hear your opinion about it. :)
Haha, coops, I was thinking about treasure as well, but would I see your very kind comment then? Thank you very much.
Thank you Jbeau. I'm really glad to hear such kind words from an expert like you :)
Hey Pat I'm really happy to see your comment again. It did the difference, I agree.
Thanks DAkey, I think, you got right what this scene is about. Thank you for your valuable opinion.

screenpainter
05-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Gorgeous portrait and painting. One suggestion would be to eliminate the yellow beam on the draping. Make it a light brown hue and you will find it makes the painting more harmonious and brings the focal point more to the subject. Love the beautiful job on the girl and her hair and the fish in the bowl. Just delightful!!!

Weeks
05-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Wow, super, Strandy :eek:

Best,

Weeks

Strandy
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Thank you Weeks for your 'Wow' Really, it does mean alot for me. :cool:

Thanks Albert, I'm really glad you liked her. I appreciate also your suggestions. The most funny thing in crits is it shows interest for their work. Something, that many artists could dream of. :cool: