PDA

View Full Version : Landscape series ...

chinapete
05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
... in the ancient Chinese style ... iPhone with Nomad brush ...

D Akey
05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Perhaps my favorite of yours that I have seen. Why? Hmmm. . . still sorting that out. It was the first read impact, as if experiencing every note in a song at once, or every bit in a landscape simultaneously, though edited down artistically -- as you would say, giving something somewhat chaotic to our limited apprehension, bringing it into where we can perceive it through an artist's orderliness.

I very much like the various distinct marks, each with it's own nature, I suppose alluding to all or some of the elements. I like them aesthetically -- the clarity and simplicity. Perhaps what I also like about it is that there is a certain amount of accident that comes from the technique of brush painting along with what looks like a sort of sponge daubing. The contrast accentuates its opposite. Creates something of a dynamism within a narrow bandwidth, not unlike watching a babbling brook or even waterfall. It's contained for the time being, being acted upon by unseen forces, some of which we are aware of (like gravity), and some can only be surmised from (whence its origin and path it took).

Anyway it has presence, and can even be meditative.

Nice job!

Oh, what brush are you referring to and how can I get one?

juliawilliams
05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Lovely in its simplicity! Do share where to find that brush! :)

eighty+
05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Hey China me old mate your to clever by half :D now you've finished throwing stone's at me :cool: I thought Landcapes great :eek:

BUT what do I get?? remined as when I was a kid with me jamjar getting frog spawn :D:D on yuh bike you'll have me

climeing the great Chinese wall next :confused: OW more stone's..................SLAINTE

Caesar
05-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Master Mi Fu sketching here! ;):cool: A very evocative and quite lyrical sketch indeed.

chinapete
05-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks JuliaW and welcome to the forum ...

hi Cesare, wow, you are familiar with the Song dynasty style, and what's even more amazing is that you could mention Mi Fu and me in the same sentence, hehe ...

hey eighty+, stones, what stones, those were pebbles, I thought I'd heave a mountain at you, hehe ... Here's your spiritual Chinese brother down in the New York City subways cutting out portraits of the riders there:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/nyregion/ming-liang-lu-makes-faces-in-the-subway-using-paper-and-scissors.html?_r=1&hpw

hi D Akey, very high compliments, thanks, the ancients had very a simple tool, a brush, which could imitate virtually any effect in nature, let's discuss on the other thread ... it so happens that the inventor of the Nomad brush for the iPad and iPhone is, I think, Chinese ... take a look:
http://www.nomadbrush.com/

jibes
05-17-2012, 03:58 AM
You captured the Chinese style quite nicely. Very impressive!

coops
05-17-2012, 06:33 AM
I like this one very much Pete, well done:)

chinapete
05-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Thank you coops and jibes for the very high praise, I hope one day to be able to follow both of you down the path to ... color ... :):)

chinapete
05-20-2012, 03:21 AM
... I very much like the various distinct marks, each with it's own nature, I suppose alluding to all or some of the elements. I like them aesthetically -- the clarity and simplicity. Perhaps what I also like about it is that there is a certain amount of accident that comes from the technique of brush painting along with what looks like a sort of sponge daubing. The contrast accentuates its opposite. Creates something of a dynamism within a narrow bandwidth, not unlike watching a babbling brook or even waterfall. It's contained for the time being, being acted upon by unseen forces, some of which we are aware of (like gravity), and some can only be surmised from (whence its origin and path it took). ... Anyway it has presence, and can even be meditative.

D Akey, I wrote a long reply to go along with your insights and thought I posted it to the "On Art - Voices" thread, but I guess that post didn't take and now I can't remember much of what I was trying to say, something about "accidents" of the brush and how that relates to the presence of the artist, and how it was part of the Chinese aesthetic in those days to persuade the viewer that the artist actually was there, presence is woven into the brushwork, so to speak ... This and other landscapes I'm working on in monochromatic ink are preludes to future studies in the Zen or Chan style, but first I have to practice breathing :) ...

gxhpainter2
05-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Pete...an evocative work I love the soft blacks and gray's and the mixture of marks and the long down stroke..your work is evolving rapidly..