PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Strandyvari ...

Caesar
05-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Since I recently had a suggestion to enter the business of the Avatars on-line production and sale, I decided to make a little experiment with just pencil and crayon tools on one of my customer background.
The figure is on one layer only and I used a small Avatar (guess whose) to give a try.
I hope You will like it notwithstanding the low level of accuracy, but I did it with the mouse only and it took (also due to the mouse poor control) about one hour.
I also duplicated the figure layer and blurred and multiplied on the top one (with less than 100% transparency). It's the first one herebelow.

limey-g
05-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Very effective Caesar, see I told you , that you could make money at it, just need to market it.:D
Geoff

Weeks
05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Caesar, i like these very much. The colors, the characters, a good path to work on (i don't know if it is english :confused: ).

Best,

Weeks

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Nice work Caesar. I still have a ways to go to get this far.

PaperTree
05-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I like the first one better than the second, because the colours are more intense, but as it is going to be an avatar, probable the second one will look better when it is reduced to thumbnail scale. Like 'em.

coops
05-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Brilliant work once again Cesare:)

Strandy
05-12-2012, 11:39 PM
A good piece of work Caesar. :D
I got the pun in the title and liked it very much... I think that it's also an interesting business idea, but I know, the Avatars are rarely considered art pieces. Even though everything bigger than 100 x 100 pcx does it. Avatars are usually picked on the internet and just used. I always made my avatars on my own but do not wonder they are quite present in Google Search results. Of course that is not the reason, why I currently use my real picture. LoL.

BTW: If I would like to change it again to something more creative than encourage to 'smack him in the kisser' thingy. ;)
I'd be happy if our forum software allows us to use the profile image for the real picture and Avatars for 'small artwork'.

Caesar
05-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Thank You, dear Geoff! I'm too undisciplined painting and drawing and I use too many approaches and styles and too little time and patience, so I doubt I'll ever be really requested by a customer...:D

Dear Weeks, actually I discovered I may already get interesting enough textures by just using chalk, pencil and the sheet texture itself, thus in a quick and simple manner, as in this case. This is another potential path, as You say. I've explored quiite a few promising ones, bur I should put some order and in writing these discoveries and possibly use them also combined into some process alternatives. I remain nonetheless enchanted by Your textures and faces enjoying the resources You set up which I colected into my private gotha of illustrators files. Thank You!

As strange as it may sound, dear Shadow, yes and no I'd say. I mean, You're probably far from the time I devouted to drawing and reading of art and techniques (because I'm more than half century old and I started within my first year of life drawing), but You also have such a natural talent, such a commitment and You explore so much any unconventional approach and possible shortcuts, that I'm sure that You're among the ones who can make dramatic and quick improvements (You showed it). Many mates in here started with quite simple outcomes and became terrific artist, setting up stunning styles and techniques. AR is unique to improve in the natural way and I'm sure also Leonardo or Raffaello (Raphael) or Caravaggio or Velasquez woulld have appreciated this software and progressed produced beyond any imagination by means of it if they lived today. Thank You!

You're right, dear Papertree! Actually I could have gotten the same effect also by painting a bottom layer with high pressure chalk and a second one with very low pressure chalk, thus getting the grain and texture. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Katie! You're very kind as always!

Dear Strandy, I hope You will forgive me for this! :o:D Your Avatar was too inspiring and made me thing that it could be the base for a fantasy character, maybe changing a little bit some proportions, but keepin the expression and the personality it shows. Since I had little time and the mouse only the, I though I would have fixed quickly the idea in a sketch, but pencil and chalk showed to be quite effective for a preliminary sketching and I quickly ended up with this, so I thought "it would have been fun to post with a pun" ... Thank You for Your kind reply ... and not kicking my sitting part.;):D

eighty+
05-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Hail O Caesar O Mighty One there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said :p:p:p :D:D:D ..............SLAINTE

Alexandra
05-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Great work, Cesare.:):):):):) Good luck on your sales, though I don't think you need it!

barnburner
05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Nicely done Caesar. :) :) :)

Caesar
05-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Thank You, dear ATPlus! Actually I never expected Your age was such to have known this sort of middle-age ancestor of Strandy personally so as to tell us more about him ...;)

Thank You, dear Sandra! Actually I wouldn't disdain some luck or to have a side Avatar-sales activity, but I would need at least an E-shop and I guess I'm a little lazy to set up a business plan to actually start ...;)

Thank You, dear Barnburner! Actually I would like too to draw Your novels characters, but I'm afraid my imagination tend to focus too much on the hottest part of their activities ... :o;):D

pat1940
05-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Caesar, what fine work you have done with experimenting, no less doing this on your mouse, that took a lot of patience and work,I admire your stamina, great job and as Sandy said lots of luck on your sales

Caesar
05-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Actually I'm not selling Avatars, dear Pat. It's possibly a misunderstanding following the suggestion of Geoff to start such an activity also to kindly express his appreciation.
I didn't start a second job, a side business or so thereabout. I'll think about when I believe there's request and I can take a commitment and have precise timeframes for it, but I may also be willing to start a short illustrated book. Anyway I think we should still be able and ready to do something for free to either amuse or please people around us, especially when we do what we like or get fun from as a hobby. We would get a reward anyway, even if it's not in the GDP (Gross Domestic Product). :)
Personally I was happy to have produced unsolicited portraits and caricatures for mates and friends in here, especially in the past, absolutely for free, just as a little spontaneous gift or joke.
Thank You!

kenmo
05-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Excellent work my friend...very excellent....:D:D:D

pat1940
05-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Caesar, I know what you mean, I have gotten such satisfaction from painting for family or friends, it makes you feel so pleased to see the look on their faces and you can tell that they really love your painting:D