PDA

View Full Version : Old black lady. WIP Stage 7 added.

shadowslake
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Here is the beginning of the painting.

Caesar
05-10-2012, 10:50 PM
It looks like You're proceeding well, dear mate. Look forward You finish it as successfully as You look for for this excercise! Did You use a reference picture too?

shadowslake
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
It looks like You're proceeding well, dear mate. Look forward You finish it as successfully as You look for for this excercise! Did You use a reference picture too?

Sorry it was late. Here is the reference picture. She works at the hospital I work at. She is probly one of the kindest people I know. She is a very strong iconic figure as well.

As you can see, I am trying the new method everyone sugested. Hope she turns out well.

screenpainter
05-11-2012, 03:53 AM
not sure that she would like hearing you call her old. ;)
she looks young to me :eek: you can just tell she is a sweetie.
hope you continue toward a beautiful portrait of her.
you are definitely improving as you do more.

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 04:09 AM
not sure that she would like hearing you call her old. ;)
she looks young to me :eek: you can just tell she is a sweetie.
hope you continue toward a beautiful portrait of her.
you are definitely improving as you do more.

Thank you. She is 86 years young. Prictice, practice, practice... and more practice. I am determined to conquor the mistry of the face even if it kills me. I am sick of saying "I am not good enough to paint faces" to those who inquire about me doing them. It is not an acceptable excuse for me anymore. So I venture on the conquest to improve the quality and realism of my work. Thank you again for your support.

Caesar
05-11-2012, 04:16 AM
Now I can better appreciate and confirm my opinion that You're going pretty well with her. Really very good so far; an evident further progress as far as I can foresee the end of this portrait.

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Now I can better appreciate and confirm my opinion that You're going pretty well with her. Really very good so far; an evident further progress as far as I can foresee the end of this portrait.

I think I forgot to mention. My name is Joseph

jonwood
05-11-2012, 04:33 AM
You are making nice progress with this.I'm pleased you started with a sketch first before painting as this allows you to get everything in proportion before you start to paint...look forward to seeing how you progress...
By the way what size canvas are you using?

screenpainter
05-11-2012, 04:46 AM
wow Joseph, she looks way younger than 86.
I personally think it takes some time to get artrage to do what you want it to.
glad to see you are drawing a sketch on paper or in artrage and then do the coloring on another layer.
tracing really helps to learn about the shapes of the face.

second...mix up your tools. the tendency at first is to try to do the whole portrait with the oil brush, but
you will find that using a combination of tools is far easier to get artrage to do what you want.
I have a felt pen preset that comes in very handy for doing portraits. I use it a lot. I just vary the
size according to what I need. watercolor can also work for areas of the face. and in artrage you can
mix oil and watercolor and felt pen together to great effect.
also a great portrait tutorial by member Dali is here:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?14890-Portrait-tutorial
there are others to look at also in tips and tricks. Mr. Paint and others.

you can get my felt pen preset in this thread called gz soft pastel:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?33343-watercolor-felt-pen-branch-tutorial-%28ar-3-Studio-Pro%29

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
You are making nice progress with this.I'm pleased you started with a sketch first before painting as this allows you to get everything in proportion before you start to paint...look forward to seeing how you progress...
By the way what size canvas are you using?

I will look at the canvas size when I get home. I useuly try to max it out so that if I need to down size I can and it should never be to small for most projects I can't forsee one the horizon. Thanks again.

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Thank you so much for the tips. I tryed the felt pen but did not play with the settings yet. I did not like the original results but will do what you sugest and try it out. Also I have used watercolor on her so far and the pensel to draw her first but I am still playing around for different effects. Please keep in mind I am new to digital production of any kind so my learning curve is huge still. AR is my first program ever to use to do this. I will try just about anything if it will help me improve. I like the airbursh a lot too. I have some trouble blending colors properly for the effects I am looking for and have yet to discover what works best to make some colors blend and others not as much but a little. Will the felt marker do this like the oil and watercolor and airbursh? I will have to do some experamenting on it. Thanks again.

wow Joseph, she looks way younger than 86.
I personally think it takes some time to get artrage to do what you want it to.
glad to see you are drawing a sketch on paper or in artrage and then do the coloring on another layer.
tracing really helps to learn about the shapes of the face.

second...mix up your tools. the tendency at first is to try to do the whole portrait with the oil brush, but
you will find that using a combination of tools is far easier to get artrage to do what you want.
I have a felt pen preset that comes in very handy for doing portraits. I use it a lot. I just vary the
size according to what I need. watercolor can also work for areas of the face. and in artrage you can
mix oil and watercolor and felt pen together to great effect.
also a great portrait tutorial by member Dali is here:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?14890-Portrait-tutorial
there are others to look at also in tips and tricks. Mr. Paint and others.

you can get my felt pen preset in this thread called gz soft pastel:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?33343-watercolor-felt-pen-branch-tutorial-%28ar-3-Studio-Pro%29

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Here is the latest stage of the painting.

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Here is stage 6

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 03:14 PM
I am almost done I think.

Caesar
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes! There You are! Now just carefully trim the darkness of the lines needed for contouring and drawing the face oval, features and wrinkle, the see whether some darker area and highlights may be emphasised furtherly (respectivley lighter and darker tone). You may use a sufficiently tilted pencil for the purpose, but be aware that the darker rim is on one side and that which side depends on the direction You move the pencil (they're opposite if I draw top-down and then bottom-up two parallel lines). Note that near to dark traits like in the wrinkles, there may be also an enlightened line running along the former one where the relief peak capture the light ...

pat1940
05-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Shadowlake, you are coming along quite well, good for you, take Caesars advise he is a wonderful artist, especially on ladies lol, also I would soften the hairline
great achievement on your part, keep it up:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

screenpainter
05-12-2012, 02:25 AM
you are really making progress. a little darker value inside her nostrils. if her skin is on one layer you can also increase the levels by lowering the brightness slightly and upping contrast slightly. edit>adjust layer color. for smoothing you might try a hard wet blender on the palette knife. keep going on this I think she will be very pleased with it. congrats on your work so far you are getting very close.

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 02:58 AM
Thank you Caesar. This is the point where I hold my breath with every stroke in fear of destroying my work. I will try this out and see if I can improve it a little. I guess it comes from useing real oil paints instead of a program. I will keep going though. Thank you for the encouragement as well.

Yes! There You are! Now just carefully trim the darkness of the lines needed for contouring and drawing the face oval, features and wrinkle, the see whether some darker area and highlights may be emphasised furtherly (respectivley lighter and darker tone). You may use a sufficiently tilted pencil for the purpose, but be aware that the darker rim is on one side and that which side depends on the direction You move the pencil (they're opposite if I draw top-down and then bottom-up two parallel lines). Note that near to dark traits like in the wrinkles, there may be also an enlightened line running along the former one where the relief peak capture the light ...

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Thank you Pat. You are so kind. I will take the advice and give it a try.

Shadowlake, you are coming along quite well, good for you, take Caesars advise he is a wonderful artist, especially on ladies lol, also I would soften the hairline
great achievement on your part, keep it up:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Thank you Screenpainter. I thought about messing with light and contrast a little but was not sure of myself to trust my instints yet. I will try this tonight when I get home. I am greatful for the shairing of the wisdom of all who have contributed.

you are really making progress. a little darker value inside her nostrils. if her skin is on one layer you can also increase the levels by lowering the brightness slightly and upping contrast slightly. edit>adjust layer color. for smoothing you might try a hard wet blender on the palette knife. keep going on this I think she will be very pleased with it. congrats on your work so far you are getting very close.

Caesar
05-12-2012, 03:41 AM
If You have some fear to spoil it while going on, just save another copy of where You're now, with a slight change of name, before You proceed furtherly . You may also work an another layer and merge it only each now and then, whenever You think that it's OK ...

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 03:44 AM
If You have some fear to spoil it while going on, just save another copy of where You're now, with a slight change of name, before You proceed furtherly . You may also work an another layer and merge it only each now and then, whenever You think that it's OK ...

This is what I do Caesar. I am just not very confident in my work yet. Thanks.

shadowslake
05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Is the process I am useing to create them strange of just what most go through? I konw I probly have my own style but over all process is what I am talking about. You see the stages I went through.

poptart
10-18-2014, 11:09 PM
I happened to come across this thread, and I think I recognize her from somewhere. What was her name again? I know i've seen that face somewhere she seems SO familiar to me. You said she worked in the hospital? Hmm.. so weird. Do you remember her name? Maybe that would help. Great art, by the way!:D

waheednasir
10-19-2014, 02:22 AM
shadowslake, good going !

I think you got nice suggestions by Caesar, they will add a lot to the work. Further, you have to match the Values and once you do that, you can see the difference yourself. Look at the hair they have the same dark value as her nostrils (in the picture) and other darkest parts, match them, i mean her nostrils must have the same darker tone as of her hair. you can go ahead like this on other areas. or else her face and skin will look very bland and raw. capture the contrast as in the pic.

hope this helps..:).