PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Portrait

PaperTree
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM

It has been a while since I have been here, but I had a go at a pencil drawing of this portrait, then I was so pleased with the result that I wanted to print it out. Having run out of colour ink in my printer I knew that the brown paper background would not print out very well, so I made the background transparent, saved the drawing as a .png then printed it out on grey card.

Here it is on my wall behind glass. The neighbours think it is graphite and not digital pencil. I soooo love Artrage!

Caesar
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
So You cheated with Your neighbour ... :eek:;) I'm kidding. You cannot get a great drawing with Artrage if You cannot get it on paper too. Excellent portrait.

PaperTree
05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
So You cheated with Your neighbour ... :eek:;) I'm kidding. You cannot get a great drawing with Artrage if You cannot get it on paper too. Excellent portrait.

Thanks caesar, fooling people spurred me on to have another go the traditional way to see if I have learned anything from ArtRage, so I am currently doing another portrait. I am using ArtRage to give me the pencil guidelines, printing it and using graphite and photocopy paper to complete the job the traditional way.

The great thing is, that by homing my skills in, first with drawing with pencil from within ArtRage and using the reference photo all from within ArtRage, I had the confidence to do exactly the same thing using graphite the traditional medium. I've been a bit hit and miss when it comes to traditional art. I am using the reference photo tool from within ArtRage and looking at the detail of the photo from the computer screen, then drawing from that; onto photocopy paper, while the light it good to work. Then when it gets too dark to work with natural medium I swap projects and continue with digital art. So far I do not see the difference from the two methods. This, to me, confirms how natural to true life this computer package is, especially when it comes to pencil or line drawings.

66797 You can just see the feint guidelines that I created in ArtRage before I started shading in the shadows. This is the same method that I use from within ArtRage as well.

Strandy
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Very interesting artist's path, you have been taking here. With very good results. :cool:
Sometimes, it's called "pipeline" but to be honest, I hate this label...

PaperTree
05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Very interesting artist's path, you have been taking here. With very good results. :cool:
Sometimes, it's called "pipeline" but to be honest, I hate this label...

Thanks Strandy, by rights I suppose I shouldn't post a natural media here, but I thought I could get away with it as it started off in ArtRage, so it is a sort of hybrid. But the first Portrait is all ArtRage.

Strandy
05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Oh no! I'm afraid, you got me wrong. Sorry if this is caused on my end... I wanted to say I, love results you achieved using AR for your art, even mixed with another means. Please, post your artistic ideas here...
I was ranting solely about the word 'pipeline' although nobody used it... Sorry for the whole misunderstanding :o

coops
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
These are so very very good Papertree looking forward to seeing more and more:)

PaperTree
05-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Thanks Strandy, you're all right, no offense taken, not quite sure how it all got miss-interpreted, but all's good. :)

Thanks Coops, I'll do my best to keep the artistic juices flowing after such a long break away from it all.

Hugs everyone.

eighty+
05-10-2012, 08:50 PM
looking good want to see more PT...........SLAINTE

Caesar
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Ola, dear Papertree, brava! This second work is marvellous too and Your process flexibility admirable.
You really show that the capabilities You've got are so good and concrete that You may proceed anyway among the real and virtula world and any combination of the two.
I share Your appreciation of Artrage as the most natural way to draw and paint and the most painterly software as for the final outcomes.
Differences between the real tools and medias and AR ones are different in the different cases, but for most of them no other software may match Artrage for natural painting in my opinion.
This doesn't mean that drawing in AR for me is exactly as doing it in reality, but I may get too similar enough quality. The only case where I stiil see some gap is for watercolors, but they're good enough (with some trick too) to get that effect and an exquisite quality after some efforts and devouted time and I hardly know of any alternative as much good which can be used in a similarly spontaneous, real-like and natural way.

barnburner
05-11-2012, 02:06 AM
What a wonderful job with the pencil. Excellent!!! :) :) :)

PaperTree
05-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Oooh, thanks "barnburner" and "eighty+", the trouble with coming back to the forum is that I end up looking at everyone's gallery paintings and not drawing my art.

"Caesar", thanks hun, I surprised myself with my second work as, for some reason I thought that digital art might be filling in some of the gaps in my art, like a sort of artistic spell checker on automatic correction mode. Seeing that I can do the same thing in real life as in AR was great news to me, and it dissolved those automatic correction fears I had. I love AR even more now. All I have to remember is when I am doing real life drawings, I must be a little more disciplined and start from the top left corner and work to the right and down, as my work is getting a little smudgy and unlike with AR I can't as easily delete.

I agree with you about the watercolour. I thought I nailed it one time, then when I wanted to do another watercolour I just could not get the same effects and couldn't work out why. I still enjoy trying to do it though, but for now, I think I will lean over to the use of the pencil tool. I'm off now to have a look at your 500+ images in your gallery. Phew!

Caesar
05-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Oh, what an undeserved honour for me and my messy gallery of everything!
I feel a little shameful :o then since, doing all my works for fun, I've neither the discipline nor the patience to work along a good planning and more than few hours (in some of the best cases) to get what I imagine, quite often without recourse to some helpful reference picture ...:(:)

jonwood
05-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Very nice and certainly an interesting approach...when I first saw this I thought I would try a portrait just using the pencil tool...but gave up when it came to the cross hatching etc....too spoiled with all the other tools in Artrage !!!!!:)

screenpainter
05-11-2012, 03:57 AM
great to see your work on pencil portraits. good stuff. and to see them printed is delightful.

jacktar51
05-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Very good artwork with the pencil,I always thought that if you can do a good pencil drawing,then you should be able to do a good painting,. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, well done ...Jack.

PaperTree
05-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks again everyone, by popular demand, I have another treat for you. I was speaking to "Caesar" and grumbling about how my work was smudging my graphite all over because I did not start systematically and just jumped in there like I would with AR. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should smudge where I want to, and not by accident. The whole thing is coming together quite nicely IMHO.

"jonwood", you could try to increase the pencil % thickness then use the hard shader preset in the pencil tool to block out some areas, then smudge them with the Pencil Blender from the palette knife tool. This is what I have done in the past, but clean forgot about doing the smudging trick with the my paper stump on my current project until I spoke to "Caesar"

"screenpainter" I appreciate your praise, thank you. I have a bit of a gallery going on in my hobby room, with all my digital art and traditional art and I swap them out when I do something new. That way I can see how I progress and learn to love my failures too.

Very good artwork with the pencil,I always thought that if you can do a good pencil drawing,then you should be able to do a good painting,. Looking forward to seeing more of your work, well done

"jacktar51", hmmm, I think for me the jury is still out on that for me, as the colour is difficult for me to get right, but I know what you mean and I'm experimenting all the time. Thanks for the encouragement, and here is the drawing at its latest stage.

silvy
05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Beautiful portraits:D, great pencil work!

Rowena
05-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Such a great idea and excellent results you achieved!
I the way you have bridged the gap between real media and digital :D:D

Weeks
05-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah PaperTree... nice drawings out there. You know how to hold a pencil :)

Best,

Weeks

Mule
05-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Love the drawing, really wonderful work

PaperTree
05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks "silvy", I'm doing another one, but it is not a portrait, even though this one is not finished. I try to be strict with myself and finish one first but I'm going away soon and am under pressure, so all of a sudden my art is taking off when I should be doing other things. Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Thanks "Rowena", "Weeks" and "Mule", I really appreciate your praise.

Alexandra
05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
I keep coming back Papertree...and so much going on-I don't know if I have commented yet. If so-so what-I will comment again. Wonderful talent of this beautiful man who seems so spirited and good natured, so captured by your mark and making.

pat1940
05-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Papertree, this is exceptional work, really enjoy viewing, wonderful drawings, looking forward to more:D