PDA

View Full Version : Dodge and Burn Liveing thread.....

shadowslake
05-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Color dodge and color burn are handy tools to use. This week you need to produce a painting all of one color but use dodge and burn to produce the details of the picture. Enjoy. Here is a cheezy example. Concider this a liveing thread.

shadowslake
05-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Was just wondering if anyone has taken interest in this contest?

Fashmir
05-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Just a thought here, I know we haven't properly met. I'm David aka Fashmir. As there is not a specific set of tools for dodge and burn in AR, like in Photoshop and other image software, some might not be sure what you mean.

For any who want to participate and are unsure about the method I will guess that just making a layer of color, then above that a layer set to blend mode linear dodge and another set to linear burn would do the trick. Just paint white on the dodge layer and black on the burn layer.

Alternatively you could use one of the tools that employs blend modes such as the airbrush tool and set the tool setting to dodge and burn.

Is that what you have in mind Shadowslake?

Steve B
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
There is, of course, a fantastic tutorial on how to use Dodge and Burn in Artrage in the Technical or Art Supplies section I believe. It's quite detailed, and very good. We might post a link to it in this thread?

shadowslake
05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Just a thought here, I know we haven't properly met. I'm David aka Fashmir. As there is not a specific set of tools for dodge and burn in AR, like in Photoshop and other image software, some might not be sure what you mean.

For any who want to participate and are unsure about the method I will guess that just making a layer of color, then above that a layer set to blend mode linear dodge and another set to linear burn would do the trick. Just paint white on the dodge layer and black on the burn layer.

Alternatively you could use one of the tools that employs blend modes such as the airbrush tool and set the tool setting to dodge and burn.

Is that what you have in mind Shadowslake?

The entire contest is about introduceing to those who dont know about thease tools to them.

shadowslake
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
There is, of course, a fantastic tutorial on how to use Dodge and Burn in Artrage in the Technical or Art Supplies section I believe. It's quite detailed, and very good. We might post a link to it in this thread?

Here is the link to the tutorial.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?37242-How-to-Dodge-and-Burn-in-Artrage

Enjoy.

shadowslake
05-09-2012, 04:04 AM
I guess I will see by friday if this contest was complete failure. Hope some take part. Do I need to stop doing the contest at this point?

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Today is the last day. Hurry before it is too late.

Steve B
05-11-2012, 01:47 AM
I think the idea of the contests are fun, but with the way my life works, once a week is not really a possibility. Once a month, yes. Once every 2 weeks, maybe. Carving out a few hours for myself as a dad and a business owner, etc etc is just very difficult. The issue with this specific contest, in my mind, if I may politely say so, is that its subject matter that excites me, not the usage of the tools. Just my two cents.

I totally think its cool you're doing it though. The dragon one sounded fun, but it was over before I got a chance to really sit down and compose something. Hopefully, I'll be able to participate in some later ones. :)

limey-g
05-11-2012, 01:54 AM
I think I tend to agree as better weather comes upon us much more time spent outdoors and less time to oneself in front of the computer.
Maybe extend all contests to 2 weeks to improve participation.
Geoff

Caesar
05-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Dear Shadow, I rather think that than one week contest (not just dropping box) each week on a different subject and themes is a by far too soliciting stimulus for people usually posting in here.
As a matter of fact, we're most likely not so many and with enough spare time to support such a challenging effort continuously. Morover it's unlikely we're either inspired or going to paint or draw a certain subject in that precise week; we're probably engaged elsewhere.
What You propose are certainly interesting ideas in view of a longer term collection gate as it is mostly the case till now for other threads in this Section.
Generally such project threads were proposed with some examples and starting samples by the initiator to be then let progressively grow along the time.
For instance, when I'll have time and a good enough idea for a dragon I'll post in the relevant thread and in the Fantasy thread too if i feel it to be good for contributing.
I certainly have a couple of dragons or burn blended layer works out of old paintings, but that would be or not in scope for a specific thread whenever it would be either re-discovered or felt appropriate. In my modest opinion, a contest would instead imply a brand new and on purpose effort (let be a jury, a prize etc. not applicable to homemade games) and certainly it can only occur each now and then and a long enough term.
Herein there are also other example of "dry" or reduced attendance Sections due to an excessively specific or local themes and subjects. For instance manga drawings or steampunk or painted lyrics (hard to significantly share and enjoy among so many different languages speaking people) although very interesting cannot be expected to find enough attendance and continuity, I'm afraid, even if they do deserve to be proposed and seen even in a short series.
Therefore, for a very popular thread and proposal, we always have to look for some quite general, shared and continuous enough idea and inspiration which would then still require a long lasting support by who proposed and "maintain" alive such thread.
A couple of great and durable past examples, among the most original series, were for instance Food with an Attitude and The Rabbit's Hole paintings! Have a look and fun by reviewing them!

shadowslake
05-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Thank you Caesar. You probly correct in this. I will go back and make them opended threads that will have a life much longer than a week. I have on average 4 hrs a night to invest ever night to what ever project I deam worthy of my effort. My intent was to motivate fun and inspire new works to be created. For me this is a hobby. For others it is work. I will fall on my moto "It is beter to fallow wisdom than to run ahead of it and get trambpled by it when it catches up to you." Caesar you are heard and appreciated.

Dear Shadow, I rather think that than one week contest (not just dropping box) each week on a different subject and themes is a by far too soliciting stimulus for people usually posting in here.
As a matter of fact, we're most likely not so many and with enough spare time to support such a challenging effort continuously. Morover it's unlikely we're either inspired or going to paint or draw a certain subject in that precise week; we're probably engaged elsewhere.
What You propose are certainly interesting ideas in view of a longer term collection gate as it is mostly the case till now for other threads in this Section.
Generally such project threads were proposed with some examples and starting samples by the initiator to be then let progressively grow along the time.
For instance, when I'll have time and a good enough idea for a dragon I'll post in the relevant thread and in the Fantasy thread too if i feel it to be good for contributing.
I certainly have a couple of dragons or burn blended layer works out of old paintings, but that would be or not in scope for a specific thread whenever it would be either re-discovered or felt appropriate. In my modest opinion, a contest would instead imply a brand new and on purpose effort (let be a jury, a prize etc. not applicable to homemade games) and certainly it can only occur each now and then and a long enough term.
Herein there are also other example of "dry" or reduced attendance Sections due to an excessively specific or local themes and subjects. For instance manga drawings or steampunk or painted lyrics (hard to significantly share and enjoy among so many different languages speaking people) although very interesting cannot be expected to find enough attendance and continuity, I'm afraid, even if they do deserve to be proposed and seen even in a short series.
Therefore, for a very popular thread and proposal, we always have to look for some quite general, shared and continuous enough idea and inspiration which would then still require a long lasting support by who proposed and "maintain" alive such thread.
A couple of great and durable past examples, among the most original series, were for instance Food with an Attitude and The Rabbit's Hole paintings! Have a look and fun by reviewing them!