PDA

View Full Version : JBEAU_oils_portrait

jbeau
04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
ref:
http://eliteartists.deviantart.com/#/d4ssjwx
The guy's from Deviantart is amazing...

Trying some techniques with Tamara Geddes Oils DVD. Her technique reminds me of this painting and that's why I picked it. I may stop and start applying it to my own work shortly.

I'm using Rembrandt Artists - Oil Color (121).col I've also made my own custom palette based on Tamara's underpainting methods.

jbeau
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
part two...

jbeau
04-30-2012, 10:55 AM
part three...

jbeau
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
continued...

coops
04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
This is looking very very good and cannot wait to see it finished, Very well done:)

jbeau
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
This is looking very very good and cannot wait to see it finished, Very well done:)
Thanks Coops:) I find that to blend color it all has to be on one layer. I've been using 3 tools, normal round oil, small flat knife and large wet knife. I used lots of thinned out purples in the underpainting, with hues of red and orange. I draw lines to help me with shape and I use them to guide direction for the flat knife blends.

jbeau
05-01-2012, 07:24 PM
who would've ever thought eyebrows would take soooooo long to draw?!? :) I drew eyelashes too, but I think she looks better without them.

Strandy
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
It's incredible thread! Artistic and educative value at once and at top level. Staying tuned...

misterpaint
05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
fantastic work!!! :o

hanzz
05-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Super job, mate

limey-g
05-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Really good we can all learn something from this .
Geoff

Rowena
05-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Very fine work so beautifully done :):cool:

silvy
05-02-2012, 05:13 AM
:cool:Superb masterpiece!!

jbeau
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and positive feedback! I hope you find this useful in some way.

DennyCayman
05-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Very very well done.

Denny

Nelia Simas
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I can't wait to see it complete!
It's going very well!
Congratulations!

shadowslake
05-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Nicely done. hopefully one day my work will be as good.

jbeau
05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments!!
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've still been working on her. I hope to be finished in the next couple of days. I am extending the arm(s), dress, adding cleavage, etc. Still working on hands, neck, hair, pretty much all over to add details. I may stay with this composition and not extend... But i wanted to share where I was at... Sadlly, ArtRage keeps crashing (maybe bcuz I'm at 7K?)and I can't save the file but I can export to photoshop. I should probably restart my computer; I hope that does the trick...

Caesar
05-11-2012, 09:40 PM
An amazingly good result indeed! :eek::cool::):):):):):)
It wasn't that clear to me whether it was either a real or an AR oil painting and I kept wondering how many layers You used.

Strandy
05-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Well, it's just spectacular. The whole work, begun with an eye. How was it managed, just to stay in place.
What sort of guide was used?

limey-g
05-12-2012, 02:00 AM
This really good and worth waiting to see the results of your hard work .
I love the detail in the hand so well done.
Geoff

jbeau
05-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys! The hands were fun, but a pain. I'm still working on them and the color just isn't right. I'll have to color correct in PS.

How was it managed, just to stay in place. What sort of guide was used?

I used the link at the beginning for the face reference and started with penciled shapes to define contrast areas. After watching the avengers last week I immediately began on the hair. I think the painting kinda looks like Scarlett Johansson:) See reference below. 1 of many.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100529030134/marveldatabase/images/f/f7/Natasha_Romanoff_(Earth-199999)_0009.jpg

The body is from multiple sources, for arms, cleavage, clothes; I've taken all these things into photoshop and made rough comps. I worked from nude reference, life drawing (my wife's hands and arm are included) I'm adding French manicures, working on the dress right as semi-transparent, but it takes away from where the beauty really is... in the hands, hair and face. I want to keep the eye moving in those areas.

jbeau
05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
...kept wondering how many layers You used.
I actually have lots of layers in Photoshop to get a trace template. I only use the trace to laydown the pencils contrast areas as seen a few images above. Anything with skin is a single layer. The hair was several different layers based on its flow. Then it was merged into one layer and blended. The background was on its own layer, but I merged it down to the hair to create the whispy, flowing hair at the tips. I had to use very little pressure with my wacom for the hair or else the colors would get muddy. Anytime I want to blend with other layers you are forced to merge. Mostly secondary highlights are on their own layer, but for the most part its a single layer in AR.

jbeau
05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Check out the finished portrait at my Gallery Thread, "water is your friend".
~Jbeau

coops
05-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Absolutely brilliant work:)

screenpainter
05-15-2012, 08:15 AM
You have far exceeded the original painting on deviantart. Stunning work! The skin tones and blending are amazing! She is beautiful and mysterious. The drawing and painting skill is like that of a classical master. I Love the addition of the hands. I have never seen better. You really improved the composition greatly as well. What an amazing thread to learn from. Personally i would just love to see the purple and pink underpainting layers in the tutorial as well. Must be a great book, but in the right hands it is obviously pure genius.

jbeau
05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Very kind words Screenpainter, thank you very much!! The book you speak of, is actually a step by step video:) Its fascinating and really helped me refine my technique and application within the digital space. I haven't applied these techniques to traditional canvas, but I'm sure at some point I will. I'm honestly having too much fun in AR at the moment to consider getting messy. I still need to fix a few things, but I'm okay letting this piece sit for a bit while I refocus my mind on another.

Ever since opening AR, I find myself studying the masters more then ever. I work in Santa Monica, and its only 10 mins away from the Getty, so I go every week for a few hours and focus on the exhibitions and curators lectures; its become an obsession. If I could go all day I would, but the guards would probably chase me off or I would be unemployeed:) I also find some time to sketch or paint little bits and pieces trying to replicate a look, which has really improved my blending and brush work...

shechat
05-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Thank you jbeau for posting the stages of this wonderful work, absolutely fascinating, the hands especially are so good.

screenpainter
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Very kind words Screenpainter, thank you very much!! The book you speak of, is actually a step by step video:) Its fascinating and really helped me refine my technique and application within the digital space. I haven't applied these techniques to traditional canvas, but I'm sure at some point I will. I'm honestly having too much fun in AR at the moment to consider getting messy. I still need to fix a few things, but I'm okay letting this piece sit for a bit while I refocus my mind on another.

it sucks getting old. I see now that you did say DVD. :embarassed I found some previews of it online and ways to buy it. you are finding it to be a good resource then? It seems pretty pricey at 50.00, but I would rather buy it for that price than buy one of the many rip offs. I find it hard to believe how many people out there can steal someone's DVD and sell it as if it is legit. I bought a DVD on watercolor painting by Charles Reid on ebay only to later have someone contact me and tell me that it was a dubbed illegal copy. I reported it to ebay, but still I had inadvertently supported the thief. arggh.

jbeau
05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
@ Screenpainter. I bought it to help fill in the gaps with my paint setup. Honestly, most of it I already knew, but just seeing someone do it helped solidify my thought process. Try it if you haven't experimented with underpainting. Its not cheap, but if anything its an investment in yourself. Its always good to keep the knowledge flowing and try new things. I think I would have preferred to spend a little more money and taken a class or two. I still may...

jbeau
05-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you jbeau for posting the stages of this wonderful work, absolutely fascinating, the hands especially are so good.

Thank you Shechat! I've always had a fascination for hands. I spent more then a few years drawing only hands, from my own to others in action or in rest; I found it very peaceful. In this particular painting I focused on the main curves and fold in the wrist, and didn't go crazy with lots of details. I'm a believer of Robert Browning's, "Less is more". Although a subtle highlight on the thumbs cuticle wouldn't hurt either:)

蟪蛄春秋
05-24-2012, 01:05 PM
ref:
http://eliteartists.deviantart.com/#/d4ssjwx
The guy's from Deviantart is amazing...

Trying some techniques with Tamara Geddes Oils DVD. Her technique reminds me of this painting and that's why I picked it. I may stop and start applying it to my own work shortly.

I'm using Rembrandt Artists - Oil Color (121).col I've also made my own custom palette based on Tamara's underpainting methods.
非常棒的过程。太帅了~!

silvy
05-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Una meraviglia:eek::eek: Stunning work!