PDA

View Full Version : Sanctuary

barnburner
04-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Miles beyond those distant falls, then several miles north thru a deep canyon, there sits a village of over 200 Arapaho Indians. They are the descendants of Arapaho people that refused to surrender and live on a reservation. Too far deep into the Rocky Mountains to be touched by civilization, they live their lives just as they did two centuries ago.
Perhaps I should say, "that's what I've been told." Thirty years ago, I ran across a historical cabin, sort of a secluded tourist spot sitting in a stand of Ponderosa Pine trees, right across Route 7, opposite Long's Peak.
The old woman that ran it, was an Arapaho. We talked a full afternoon away, and one of the things she told me, was the story of this hidden tribe in their sanctuary. The old woman is gone now, but her story lives on. I'll never go looking for the tribe, for I won't be the one to ruin their way of life, if indeed they do exist.
Then again, if the government was to question me about these hidden Arapaho people, I'd have to say that I made it all up.
Edit : - Made a few small changes and uploaded corrected copy.

Caesar
04-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Wonderful landscape and trail across those natural beauties!
The American historical stories You're telling made me think that where the events, including the many negliged facts, would have the size of a book over there, here it would take a dozens of book in each of our major European country (with often far larger and crucial events, epopees and tragedies) and no less than three times a dozen books (a couple of encyclopediae) to just narrate what concerns our Italian peninsula.
Nonetheless there are often universal bitter lesson we may learn from either major or minor deeds where human cruelty and evil emerge in their bare, trivial, ordinary aspect and still we don't perceive and realize how ugly it looks. :(

shadowslake
04-25-2012, 01:32 AM
As a whole I enjoyed the painting. Just one sugestion though. The land apears to be sitting on top of the water. There is no real interaction between the two. Transitions instead of hard lines might bring more of a realism to your painting. Also after the remarkable work in the sky, seeing the (what I asume to be) reflection of the sky in the water just did not reflect what was in the sky well. I know very little so I dont blame you if you ignore me. Keep up the good work. Please take what I said with a good heart.

gxhpainter2
04-25-2012, 01:57 AM
BB... great story...stay away from gov'ment agents....you know nothing.:eek::eek::D:D

barnburner
04-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Caesar - Thank you very much. :):)

Shadowslake - Your point on the transition to the water is right on. That's something I intended to fix and forgot all about it. Perhaps I painted it badly, but no, the white in the water is not intended to be a reflection of the sky, but rather short waterfalls and rapids.
Thanks for your comments. Truly appreciated. :):)

George - Thank you sir. Appreciate it. :):)

barnburner
04-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Made a few changes on the water transition and a light reflection of the clouds on the upper water.

coops
04-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Great painting again Barnburner, well done:)

barnburner
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Great painting again Barnburner, well done:)

Thank you so much dear Katie. Your support is dearly appreciated. :):):)

mannafig
04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Beautiful landscapes dear Mike:):)

kenmo
04-26-2012, 12:31 AM
beautiful scene & landscape....

limey-g
04-26-2012, 12:57 AM
Very nice barnburner, love the strong colours and the way you have the water flowing, it really catches the eye.
Geoff

barnburner
04-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Amanda, As always, your kind comments are appreciated. Thank you. :):)
Ken, Thanks you very much. :):)
Geoff - Many thanks. Glad you liked it. :):)