PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Seas

jacktar51
04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
A 1950,s trawler heads fo home in heavy seas....Jack.

D Akey
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
You've turned into an atmosphere meister, Jack-o. Fantastic. Love the way you handled the sky in total with the accent of the light coming through the clouds, I like the lighthouse, and the way you did the ship and surrounding area. Great stuff.

screenpainter
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
moody piece. love it Jack. love the two light sources. it says a lot. a lot to contemplate. finely done.

jacktar51
04-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Mr D Akey...Thanks, I am attempting mood paintings at the moment, trying to get light sources looking right, I have jiggled about with this one since posting,the jiggles may not be very obvious purely cosmetic really, but just something of a tidy up,and some port and starboard light on the trawler, although you can hardly notice that,I seem to be striving for correctness with lighting if you know what I mean,you will probably know what I mean( I hope),Thanks for coming in D, always appreciated,Oh yes and I have cleaned the sky up a bit from pixelization....Jack.

jacktar51
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Hello Albert,I'm pleased that you noticed the moodiness of the painting,and the different light sources,these two things are mostly what I am playing about with at the moment,it seems there is far more to light and shade than I imagined, very slight tonal changes seem to make all the difference,I find I am using layers a lot more,and also the opacity on the layers( Kind of matching each layer) as I go along...Thanks for looking Albert....Jack.

jacktar51
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Here is the tweaked picture...

Caesar
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
A really dramatic scene and lighting! Great!

jacktar51
04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Caesar, I am paying much more attention to lighting these days,since your suggestion regarding this point,and I think it has definately improved my art a bit,thanks again and for your reply....Jack.

shadowslake
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Nicely done.

coops
04-25-2012, 12:18 AM
As has been said before, this is so very atmospheric, you are great at these Jack. well done:)

limey-g
04-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Really well done Jack and a painting like this sure brings back a memory for me.
In the sixties, the Isle of Man was part of my work territory and I remember one wintertime I was stood on the breakwater of a small island fishing port just before dark while a terrible storm and huge waves was creating terrible seas watching a couple of trawlers slowly battling their way towards the shelter of the harbour which even behind the breakwater was still extremely rough.
Thanks for the memory Jack.
Geoff