PDA

View Full Version : Elvgren's pin-up (with Caesar's E-like silhouette added)

Caesar
04-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Here's the completion of my attempt to learn something from a reference illustration by the great pin-up artist Gil Elvgren.
I hope You will like it even if I didn't keep details and precision too high ...

The silhouette is a personal idea Elvgren possily suggested me. Actually it was a preliminary linear drawing in a similar style similar than the one I made to start this painting (in the WIP Section and here in the halfway image), which cannot be shown here in the main though. :D

limey-g
04-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Nicely done Caesar, got to love Gil Elvgrens originals.
Geoff

gxhpainter2
04-19-2012, 05:13 AM
very nicely done Caesar... I think they are getting better and better.. each one seems like color and accuracy of drawing/painting more assured... practice makes perfect..:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

jbeau
04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Getting better each time Caesar! There is something about the loose flowing stroke that draws me in. I perfer to see less detail and let the eye fill in the gaps with shape and color. I'm inspired to try this type of style soon.

Caesar
04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Thank You, dear Geoff. Actually I prefer Rockwell and Frazetta, I consider both superlative illustrators as well as a good fine artists, and their style, but also Elvegren has much to teach and ... most of all, deals with nice ladies and girls much more ... and with a mostly dissimulated naughty attitude that has some matching points with my own one I think. :D

Dear Gary, actually I got "lost in translation", i. e. I started with an accurate process in mind I didn't follow when I went faster and intuitive pretty soon. So I mixed color directly on canvas out of any palette (except the reference indications) in order to get Elvegren feeling and temperatures. I'm nonetheless reasonably satisfied since I see some of Elvgren substance to have passed in my copy. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Jbeau! I know what you mean and Elvgren painted also illustrations more "essential", mostly nuanced color areas and shapes without any crisp detail. I would attach herebelow and halfway version of this to see if it may fit better what You say if You just interpolate between the two to get color areas ...

coops
04-19-2012, 10:09 PM
This is so well painted Cesare and love your latest lady paintings, looking forward to seeing more:) She is a real cutie:)

kenmo
04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Love it....

Caesar
04-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Thank You, dear Katie and Kenmo!
You're too kind, but I'm afraid these last paintings may be lovely and spicy enough to make and see for a niche market :p, i.e. that of old guys like me .... as well as truck drivers, workmen and soldiers of a few decades ago. Today they would possibly be politically uncorrect (which is not always a bad thing) :o

jbeau
04-20-2012, 05:43 AM
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The path to color should be defined at a level almost illustrator'esk, but yet not lost in translation. Happy painting:)

Caesar
04-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Glad I understood Your indication, dear Jbeau! Actually Edouard Manet style was based on painted areas contrasts. He was both an academic painter and then an impressionist to some exent, who still used the black color nonetheless, so possibly my technically preferred one among the impressionists of that age, because he didn't discard any kind of lesson available to him, whatever the artistic dispute was then in Paris, to get the best out of his works. This is my thought least.

mannafig
04-21-2012, 03:31 AM
Oh dear have you been bitten by the pin up bug to dear Cesare?:D:D
Fabulously done dear friend:):)

Alexandra
04-21-2012, 07:09 AM
She is so beautiful Cesare, wonderful and professional as always.:):):):):)

Caesar
04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
... and it's itching, dear Amanda! :D I always preferred to pin pin-ups' buttocks rather than butterflies. :D Thank you!

Thank You, dear Sandra! Elvgren's palettes and naughty humor fits my personality pretty well ... :p

coops
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Thats another great painting Cesare, you have recreated this in your own unique style. Its great:)

Caesar
04-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Thank You, dear Katie! I'm never able to re-create a master perfectly. I run short of patience and some of my style <8too noble a definition) always pops up ...

shadowslake
04-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Thank You, dear Katie! I'm never able to re-create a master perfectly. I run short of patience and some of my style <8too noble a definition) always pops up ...

Caesar how would you define the style of most of my paintings. So far I would concider it a style of luck. :D

Caesar
04-22-2012, 06:52 PM
...depending on the various cases, either "happy accidents" or "bloody occurrences" ...:D

justjean
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Caesar, a great painting of a lovely lady :)

Caesar
04-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Thank You, dear Jean. There are some wrong color spot due to the miserable screen I use for painting ...

Belvrog
04-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Fantastic painting. Love her expression. Very well done mate.

Caesar
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank You, dear Belvrog! Simpler old times ... :rolleyes: