PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain Last tweaking 20 April

mannafig
04-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I found a photo whilst browsing google and had to give it a go.
Hope you like her:):)

Attached ref. I have no idea who the
photographer or model is.

Caesar
04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I don't know how the picture looked like, but You got a wonderful artwork out of it in Your marvellous drawing style.

mannafig
04-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Thank you dear Cesare:):)
I have now added the ref I used

limey-g
04-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Really nice Amanda, love how you manage to make such a delicate image.
Geoff

barnburner
04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Marvelous work Amanda. :):):)

coops
04-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I love the cute little hat she is wearing Amanda, another great painting:)

gxhpainter2
04-14-2012, 03:47 AM
a fantastic image Amanda.. love the delicate "porcelain" look to her..

Marilyn Anne
04-14-2012, 09:33 AM
The face is just like the model!

Rondo
04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Very well done indeed,delicate and so breakable:)

lori99320
04-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Excellent, beautifully done.

D Akey
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Wow!!!! Great job Mannafig! More porcelain figurines to add to your collection.

Love the textures and the colors against the white are really pure. . .

Another hint, you may want to consider the darkest darks in the picture as the baseline for values in the whole picture. So if you have a bunch of high key stuff as with the hair, you will do well to anchor it somehow with darks in strategic places to make it feel like it's part of the reality of the whole picture.

The hair has some amazingly beautiful stuff happening. But the values are in a very narrow bandwidth. It really is sensationally beautiful, and you could pull it into the pic a little more with some darks.

It's easy to say but it will be delicate to pull it off. One way I find that works well is to duplicate the layer to exist right over it, assign it to "multiply" and erase away the darker area until it works right. You can also adjust the transparency of it to give it a little or a lot of dark. Plus you can do several layers that way giving them different qualities.

That preserves the original layer untouched should it get out of hand. And you don't have the bother of redrawing any of it. . . which would likely screw it up.

But everything you have in here is perfectly drawn. Only talking about the values in places. The face rocks.

Belvrog
04-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Great expression Amanda. Wonderful painting!

silvy
04-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Wonderful work Amanda:), better than photo;)

mannafig
04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you dear Geoff:):)

Dear Mike thank you:):)

Thank you dear Katie:):)

Thank you dear GX:):)

Thanks Marilyn:):)

Rondo thank you:):)

Lori thank you:):)

My dear Mr D Akey having read your comment first I went and done a little tweaking to the hair. How does it look now?
Your advise is proving invaluable I can't thank you enough:)

Thank you dear Belv:):)

Thank you so much dear Silvy:):)

D Akey
04-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Nice, Mannafig! :cool::cool::cool:

Now this is what we call 'splittin' hairs' (pun intended) -- the difference is. The painting is great as you have it. But over time you will see that technique I mentioned will have lots of uses when you want to darken a complex area and not want to obliterate the detail with shadow.

You got your darks in the hair which was missin. But you only need it to be darker than the first one in a few strategic places where you would have a lot less light. So were you to do it again, you could erase back the darker part on the second layer in the lighter areas. Hope that makes sense.

Look at the photo and you can see where the light is and the dark is, and how they play against each other. The light is coming from the right and above so the back of her wig is darker. So think of it like shading a billiard ball, you would erase back the top right area toward the center and the dark would be where the shadow would normally be with that lighting.

Don't forget, you can erase back the layer in specific general areas, (like adjacent to her hat with a soft edged eraser -- and the nice thing is you don't have to worry about details because your copied layer has all that covered. You just erase back broadly. Thus the darker area shows both layers doubling the dark effect, and the light area is clear on the top layer and the lighter lower level shows through -- seamlessly because they're the same drawing and fit perfectly). Together they look lit rather than shadowed, though that's semantics only.

You are showing an amazing sensitivity these days especially, and jumping forward in leaps and bounds. You are making beautiful women really really beautiful and might even make them more beautiful than the photo. And that is something most everyone wants to look at in this world that has so many rough edges. It's great looking at it all through your eyes.

barnburner
04-17-2012, 11:56 PM
The tweak in the hair is a really nice improvment. Well done Amanda. :):)

limey-g
04-18-2012, 12:08 AM
I really like the enhancement to her hair, well done.
Geoff

Caesar
04-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Dear Amanda, You sensibly enhanced the drawing both tonally and graphically with Your tweak on the hair and I also thank You for showing reference the picture that clearly shows how Your personality and art gave an original and stylish interpretation of the model.

Alexandra
04-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Amanda, this is wonderful work dear friend!

mannafig
04-21-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks again dear D Akey I have again done some tweaking but this is the last time for this image:D.
Your advice is always appreciated:):)

Thanks dear Mike:):)

Thank you Geoff:):)

Thanks Cesare I really appreciate it:):)

Thank you my dear Sandy:):)