PDA

View Full Version : Contemplation

MSIE
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM
a few days ago I got some time to paint, and that's what I came up with ...
it took quite a long time to finish, but I had fun creating this "mandala" :)
it was very relaxing although it was a lot of work :cool:

done entirely with sticker sprays (mostly my own ones), paint tube (for the base circles), and some strokes with the paint roller tool for the background.

each circle was created from start to finish - first the paint tube circle (two of them to be accurate, to get rid of the "dark blob" which shows up when lifting the paint tube tool), then various sticker sprays. then I changed colour/size of the tools and proceeded with the next circle, trying to get the same results by remembering the sticker spray presets I used before :rolleyes: ;)

finally I used the "Sphere String" default sticker spray with spray rate set to zero to place every single "pearl" by hand, changing colours on the way :D

I like how the circles change from being "comic style" (largest circle) to rather porcelain looking ones in the end.

the original file looks much more crisp than the .jpg I am posting here, but I hope you like it nevertheless :)

[click to enlarge]

hypotaxis
04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
That is really beautiful! I love mandalas. Every year the local Tibetan buddhist monks would make them in sand and the sweep them to show the impermanence of all things.

It's my desktop!

Thanks you!

In peace

Brett

jacktar51
04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I think its great, and I do agree with you about the porcelain look of the inner circles,well done,you have lots of patience as well as artistic skill.....Jack.

Caesar
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
An islamic-like type of art ... Fantastic!

Weeks
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I would say Islamic-Maya_like Ceasar ;) :confused:

Great job MSIE.

Best,

Weeks

D Akey
04-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Phenomenal. Really amazing craftsmanship. And it looks wonderful. It emanates and radiates out. Also noteworthy to me is how it looks like antique carved ivory toward the center and gets more modern feeling, a cross between pop graphic art and precious metal, as it nears the edge.

I find it hard to take in all the detail at once so I switch my focus between examining details and then sort of taking it all in as a whole, and then back to the details. And the impression is decidedly different for each way of looking at it.

Very, very cool. Like a tooled piece of ornamental jewelry.

shadowslake
04-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Very hipnotic. Nicely done.

gxhpainter2
04-12-2012, 02:33 AM
MSIE...wow what a very special piece...it has so many great qualities as the others have noted... quite exceptional..!.:cool::cool::cool::cool::)

Selby
04-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Gosh it never even occurred to me to try a mandala with artrage. What a clever and beautiful idea you followed:)

silvy
04-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Wonderful idea and wonderful effect:)
Very laborious as you said, but the result is perfect. Cool:cool::cool:

screenpainter
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
phenomenal work MSIE. :eek:
this is beautiful. it reminds me of exquisitely carved ivory Chinese art pieces.
this is a really exceptional art piece. your patience and diligence is greatly admired and appreciated on this work.

MSIE
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
That is really beautiful! I love mandalas. Every year the local Tibetan buddhist monks would make them in sand and the sweep them to show the impermanence of all things.

It's my desktop!

Thanks you!

In peace

Brett
thank you Brett, I feel honoured that you like this painting enough to make it your desktop background, wow!! :)
if you (or anyone else) want a larger resolution file (.png), just PM me and I'll be happy to share it via dropbox.
I've once seen a documentation about an event where Tibetan monks were making sand mandalas and then sweeping them - impressive! you're lucky to be able to attend such events .. unfortunately, in Germany there are not many Tibetan monks to be found :(

I think its great, and I do agree with you about the porcelain look of the inner circles,well done,you have lots of patience as well as artistic skill.....Jack.
thank you Jack :)

An islamic-like type of art ... Fantastic!
Caesar, when I was looking at the finished piece, I also had the impression of something "islamic" going on in there ;) although islamic mosaics and wall paintings are much more sophisticated than my rather simple mandala ;)
thanks for looking, glad you like it :)

I would say Islamic-Maya_like Ceasar ;) :confused:

Great job MSIE.

Best,

Weeks
thank you Weeks :)
I am not familiar with maya art - should look it up sometime, but I bet that compared to their art my little mandala looks rather simple ;)

Phenomenal. Really amazing craftsmanship. And it looks wonderful. It emanates and radiates out. Also noteworthy to me is how it looks like antique carved ivory toward the center and gets more modern feeling, a cross between pop graphic art and precious metal, as it nears the edge.

I find it hard to take in all the detail at once so I switch my focus between examining details and then sort of taking it all in as a whole, and then back to the details. And the impression is decidedly different for each way of looking at it.

Very, very cool. Like a tooled piece of ornamental jewelry.
thank you D Akey, glad you like this! :)
I think it's interesting that you mentioned "craftsmanship" and "tooled piece". in the process of creating this painting, I surely was benefitting of my knowledge of how to technically use and alter those ArtRage tools, after all I created those sticker spray presets from scratch - but even if I wanted to, I would not be able to produce the same piece again (which is what in my opinion defines craftsmanship: being able to produce something of high quality not just once but repeatedly). I simply forgot which settings I used :D .. does that make me an artist rather than a craftswoman? :p

Very hipnotic. Nicely done.
thank you shadowslake, glad you like it :)

MSIE...wow what a very special piece...it has so many great qualities as the others have noted... quite exceptional..!.:cool::cool::cool::cool::)
thank you Gary :) :)

Gosh it never even occurred to me to try a mandala with artrage. What a clever and beautiful idea you followed:)
thank you Selby:)
I used the default "circle" stencil set to "guide mode" (blue) to create the circles, adjusting the size via clicking ALT tab and moving the mouse/pen to the right/left to increase/decrease the size .. that way I could concentrate on painting while not being bothered by using the transform tool and changing back to painting tools ;)
try it out, it's fun! :)

Wonderful idea and wonderful effect:)
Very laborious as you said, but the result is perfect. Cool:cool::cool:
thank you Silvy :) :)

MSIE
04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
phenomenal work MSIE. :eek:
this is beautiful. it reminds me of exquisitely carved ivory Chinese art pieces.
this is a really exceptional art piece. your patience and diligence is greatly admired and appreciated on this work.
thank you Albert :)
funny how chinese, islamic, and mayan art come to mind .. although I hadn't thought of all this while creating this piece ;) :)

coops
04-12-2012, 10:21 PM
This is really very beautiful and looks like so much work has gone into it. Brilliantly done MSIE:)

Alexandra
04-13-2012, 01:36 AM
I love your work MSIE, this is beautiful!

Lima
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Amazing. Just beautiful. Congratulations

SCP
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Well done and worth the effort you have put in.:):):):):)
I was just wondering could you duplicate one ring layer then rescale for each ring and change the colours,contrast etc to your liking?

MSIE
05-01-2012, 03:39 AM
sorry for being late ... I somehow missed the replies to this thread :eek:

coops, Alexandra, Lima ~ thanks for your kind comments :) I'm glad you like this painting.

I was just wondering could you duplicate one ring layer then rescale for each ring and change the colours,contrast etc to your liking?
SCP ~ you're right, I could have duplicated the rings, but I didn't want them all to look similar, that's why I created each ring separately ;)
thanks for looking and commenting! much appreciated :)

iceaxe
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Cool! .

tinzo
07-27-2012, 10:05 PM
You will see from my stuff, I don't use many of the tools in AR. So someone who can produce something like this,
commands my complete admiration. Simply put, I love the pattern and the colour, especially as the rings diminish.
Beautiful and clever work....I take my hat off. :D :D

MSIE
07-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Iceaxe and Tinzo, thanks a lot for looking and commenting :)
Tinzo ~ I feel honoured that you like my work - I am well aware of your oevre, you've been one of the top artists here at ArtRage forums when I joined back in 2007 and I am glad you returned to show us more of your beautiful art :)