PDA

View Full Version : Spirit stones

chinapete
04-11-2012, 06:28 AM
... reproducing the textures of these "spirit stones" ("guai shi 怪石") dredged up from the bottom of Lake Tai (near Shanghai) in China ... Because they are created completely by nature (erosion) without human intervention, they are revered for their shapes and are thought to embody spirit transformed into stone ...

... first in a series ...

D Akey
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Fantastic. Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. . . optically speaking. Spirits in stone, eh? Talk about a high contrast picture. :cool::D

I find the technique to be rather artistic though not invasive. Rather like a grave head stone rubbing. . . which fits the theme you describe more than a little.

chinapete
04-12-2012, 03:03 AM
... although it may look to you like a seated elephant, this is a conceptualization of a famous painting of a "spirit stone" by Emperor Huizong (r. 1101-25) of the late Northern Song dynasty ... He called it "auspicious dragon" (Xiánglóng 祥龙) ... and since this is the Year of the Dragon, it's a particularly auspicious time to draw dragons :) ...

... iPad, pencil and chalk ...

gxhpainter2
04-12-2012, 03:15 AM
absolutely beautifull..I love the subtle gray background and the way you build the shapes and shadows with the artistic crosshatch...:eek::cool::cool::cool:

silvy
04-12-2012, 04:37 AM
I like very much these spirit stones, lovely drawing:)
Since childhood I have always collected stones, rocks and minerals.
It is difficult for a westerner to believe that inanimate matter has a spirit, but not so strange being fascinated.;) And I love stones

screenpainter
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree these are auspicious times.
your work inspires me and also what you find out there is inspiring.
thanks for sharing the ancient work as well.

I tried to put some shadow beneath the stone around the holes...but I failed.
of course this was before you posted the work of the master.

Now I see that his dark ink shadows around the holes have an exquisite etched look.
but in the process I did see a nice graphic result from the selection process, so thought I would share it with you.
and a small adaption of your print.

chinapete
04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks Gary, and Sylvy and SP for the kind comments ... SP, I like the masked out pattern of the first drawing, it has its own interest, and is a reminder that we always are drawing in two dimensions, one positive and one negative ...

Just to be clear, both drawings are mine, the first is a freehand composition based on several "spirit stones" in the Lansu Chinese Garden, and the second, the Xianglong, is a free interpretation of Emperor Huizong's famous painting, but really my drawing has very little to do with his ... After all, mine is pencil tool on AR basic paper, and his is expensive inks on priceless silk, and is a masterpiece:)

screenpainter
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I thought the second one was by the Chinese master. fooled me. that is quite exquisitely beautiful. well done.

Alexandra
04-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Absolutely cool....

gxhpainter2
04-13-2012, 02:09 AM
screenpainter... the second one is by the Chinese master..... chinapete!.:p

Caesar
04-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Love these textures!

chinapete
04-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks everyone ... And Gary, let's hope Eighty+ doesn't see your comment, I have a feeling he'll be kidding me about the Chinese, or worse, being a master, hehe ...

chinapete
04-13-2012, 04:53 PM
... Study of a black Ying stone drawn in the zen style ... Unlike Tai Hu stones, which are eroded by water, Ying stones are excavated from the earth, and typically have dense texture and twisting shapes ... Some emit a sound when struck like a bell ... By "zen style" I mean that the pencil here is made to look like a rough watercolor wash with ragged edges -- effects that are possible with Chinese ink wash brushes ...

gxhpainter2
04-14-2012, 02:30 AM
wow! I can't believe this is done with pencil ...it is so rich and textural really nice drawing here chinapete..:):):):cool::cool::cool:

chinapete
04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Gary, thanks, there may have been a touch of chalk here and there, and the ragged edges were produced by trimming with the chalk tool, but it's basically pencil -- I've noticed that the Chalk tool reduced to 1% width is pretty much the same as the Soft Tip pencil at high pressure ...

The drawing I'm posting here is in chalk set at various pressures, and mainly is designed to show off the great graphic power of certain spirit stones (this is a classic Tai Hu stone), and how so much of the effect they produce on the viewer is in the object's outline ...

chinapete
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
... imitating ink on paper ... looking at "Taihu Rock, 1994" by the contemporary Chinese artist Liu Dan (刘丹)... but there's really very little in common between that work and this ... on the iPhone using brush and basic paper ...

gxhpainter2
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
wondrous ink like effect on tinted paper...:cool::cool::)

chinapete
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Gary ... you know, there's no color sampler on iPhone, so it's a real challenge to work with tinted paper ... but I can only get the ink effects I want on the iPhone ...

chinapete
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
... spirit stones are found in a variety of colors ranging from deep glossy black to white, with blue-greens and ochres in the mix... this greeny version represents the beginning of a series of spirit stones in color ...

Caesar
04-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't know much about spirit stones, but some of them are really wonderfully skilled to evocate feelings and views or to delight our inner harmonies.

chinapete
05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
... characterized by a hard surface and striations ...

screenpainter
05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
tai hu stone #2 I love how the outline of the shape becomes so important to the conversation in this one. and how the shapes change and play upon further examination.
also like the lingbi stone and the green spirit stone. all are fascinating.

Weeks
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I repeat, modern and creative :eek:

Great and best,

Weeks

pat1940
05-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Always have loved stones and rocks, these are fasinating and so well done:):):)

chinapete
05-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks SP, Weeks, pat and everyone for the kind comments ... Spirit stones also are mountains in miniature, as this drawing of a stone about 12" tall is meant to suggest ...

gxhpainter2
05-03-2012, 05:02 AM
chinapete... love these last two.. I amazes me the charcoal/ink like effects you achieve..the last one does look like the mountains with trails leading through it....just a question how do you arrive at your image dimensions? they seem to favor the tall narrow or wide narrow.. I wonder is that an aspect of emulating older Chinese art that was frequently done on scrolls or panels.. or a more modern constraint of iPhone screen dimensions. I only ask because I usually choose the dimension based on a feeling for where I want to go.. frequently square or nearly so for more geometric and wide and narrow if I feel like a nature inspired work...:):):):)

chinapete
05-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Gary, thanks ... I suppose I draw the way others sculpt, by elimination ... I begin with no preconceived notion of dimension, and usually I overdraw and have to crop out any form or space that doesn't dramatize the image ... And you are right, drawing on the iPhone does determine to some extent the rectangular narrowness, as for example in this study of (the only) spirit stone in the Chinese collection at the Portland Art Museum (pencil on basic paper, oil, crayon) ...

gxhpainter2
05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
wow that is your most sophisticated study todate!,, lovely textures, subtle coloration, and blending evident and edges are particularly nice in this one.. great textures and build up of black. I didn't know PAM had a spirit stone.. now I will have to check it out next time I am in town.

chinapete
05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
wow that is your most sophisticated study todate!,, lovely textures, subtle coloration, and blending evident and edges are particularly nice in this one.. great textures and build up of black. I didn't know PAM had a spirit stone.. now I will have to check it out next time I am in town.

Okay, great ... only don't use this drawing as a guide to finding the stone, hehe ...

chinapete
05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
... detail of a larger image ...

chinapete
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
"A Scholar's rock ["spirit stone"] is a ... little piece of a rock from which you can imagine the whole rock, it is a little piece of the mountain from which you can imagine the whole mountain."

Richard Rosenblum, Art of the Natural World, pg. 3
Source: http://www.rosenblumcollection.com/php/collection/rocks.php?page=collectionRocks

justjean
05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
WOW Pete, wonderful textures in all :):):)

screenpainter
05-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Great stuff. I can see Picasso, Dali, Mattise etc. in these stones. Thanks also for the link to Rosenblum collection. I enjoyed looking at them very much. There are so many images and ideas within each stone.

gxhpainter2
05-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Pete, Thanks for the link...I love stones and have a house full of them..the paintings are a sensitive study of positive-negative space and the energies that create them.. always interesting...

chinapete
05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
"The exile of words has begun"

Bei Dao, Chinese poet and dissident
[from the collection of poems called Old Snow, trans. Bonnie McDougall, New Directions, 1991, p. 25: 词的流亡开始了 Cí de liúwáng kāishǐ le ]

Caesar
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
I find very interesting these sort of rocks and mountains bonsais, some of them, more based on textures than shapes and holes, in particular.
They're like brushes painting the whole huge mass of the mountains.

chinapete
05-08-2012, 01:41 AM
They're like brushes painting the whole huge mass of the mountains.

Caesar, I thought you might like what C.C. Wang, the Chinese artist and collector of spirit stones, has to say: "Rocks, like paintings, are not restricted by years or even given cultures, nor are they confined to the West or the East. They can serve as a bridge that transcends time, space, and culture."

Caesar
05-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Right."Your are Peter and on this rock I'll build my church" (playing with the word Petrus and petra, "Peter" and "stone" in Latin).
Actually I think that what C.C. Wang says would apply to most of the visual cues and elements and up to any high quality and sublime, natural, storytelling, emotional, geometrical and not elitarian or localistic form of visual art and music which express the life, provided we are explose to it soon enough and that we are kept free by intellingence (the capability un understand by curiosity and explanations) from cultural prejudices and cages and ideologically induced boundaries, prohibitions and taboos .

chinapete
05-08-2012, 07:44 AM
... detail ... chalk and pencil ...

gxhpainter2
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
this dragon is guarding riches !..:D.. great study , colors... I like your infusion of color into the black white... a very nice balance.

wunjo
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Chinapete- beautiful, I like !

I am working again with some found objects (such as stones and wood); this allow me to copy and merge shapes/combinations that are freer than the conscious imagination is otherwise capable of producing.

... reproducing the textures of these "spirit stones" ("guai shi 怪石") dredged up from the bottom of Lake Tai (near Shanghai) in China ... Because they are created completely by nature (erosion) without human intervention, they are revered for their shapes and are thought to embody spirit transformed into stone ...

... first in a series ...

wunjo
05-08-2012, 11:28 AM
*my conscious imagination

:cool:

chinapete
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Gary, haha, thanks for the nice words, I'm trying to get past that dragon ... to the riches :)

Wunjo, thanks, sounds good ... you probably are aware that spirit stones come in a variety of materials, stone, wood, petrified wood, crystal, etc. ... have I missed something you've posted here on the forum? ...

chinapete
05-09-2012, 03:11 AM
... base with detail superimposed ...

wunjo
05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I was unaware of Spirit Stones..I will explore this hopefully soon. No uploads yet. Developing ideas on A2 paper with ink and brush at the moment. I will let you know when it goes digital.
:cool:

Caesar
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I like the snake skin-like one and also the hovering blue tones of the last one.

chinapete
05-10-2012, 01:00 AM
... pencil, chalk and oil on AR basic paper ... iPhone ...

chinapete
05-11-2012, 02:05 AM
... on site, documenting the stones in the Garden ...

chinapete
05-13-2012, 01:00 AM
... chalk on chalk ...

chinapete
05-14-2012, 02:10 AM

chinapete
05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
... this many-faceted inner beauty...

from "Confronting Grief" ("Li Sao" ), 3rd c. BCE
trans. David Hinton

D Akey
05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Quite like the last one especially. Feels a little like our discussion in the other thread about auditory memories going way back to the beginning. And the way you have the sort of dark texture to it, it's consistent with your earlier motif of a rubbing kind of feel.

Very intriguing. Feels almost luminous behind the marks of time. . . a little like the heart of the mountain. When rock crosses nature to take on the attributes of flesh it creates an interesting new thing. Certainly strong in the metaphor department.

Good one, Chinapete!
:cool::cool::cool:

chinapete
05-16-2012, 05:19 AM
D Akey, with your uncanny ability to read paintings, you somehow guessed that this is more metaphor than substance, although it has both, it is an attempt to illustrate the Chinese idea of nature, which can be summarized as disorder, as opposed to art, which for the ancient Chinese meant the artificial ordering of disorder ... I'm not sure how you were able to see the heart motif, some spirit stones can be viewed horizontally or vertically, and I flipped the image because I thought it looked too heart-like, but still wanted to preserve it ... The overall effect is dark, it's an inner image ...