PDA

View Full Version : Pillars of Zen

gxhpainter2
04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
inspired by a book on my self...

chinapete
04-10-2012, 05:21 PM
... did you mean "shelf" ... a telling slip of the mouse ...:)
... if East is meeting West, this could be Stonehenge, too ... "Thoughts without a Thinker" ...

D Akey
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I tink zat I get you now and Zen. Yah, dat's vot I tink. Interestink idea. Not my favorite use of color, but zat's a personal preference.

And that's the truth. Some people might like it. To me, the transitioning from a lukewarm beige to beige with an odd green cast feels like the colors were over mixed into total neutrality. Neat idea but to me it's rather lifeless.

And I don't know if you want to allude to Anime while contemplating your Zen, but, the black outline and simple semi-flat floating shapes makes this feel like a Japanese animation acetate cell kind of theme back in the pre-digital age.

Interesting idea. But to me it's devoid of volition. And I need a little more presence in my art.

Visually it's the antithesis of your other very dynamic pictures of late. Sorry for the comment.

Weeks
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
This one is so cool Gxhpainter :)

You should paint it for real !

Best,

Weeks

gxhpainter2
04-11-2012, 02:08 AM
chinapete... yes a telling slip of the mouse..:eek:..

D Akey.. thanks for your frank appraisal of this... always appreciated... I think I might have more work on this theme...guess my color compass got a little off.. never fear I will find my way back.:p:cool::cool: (later edit ) I was not sure what you meant by the Anime cell references so I looked at some and now I get it.. the flat colors...and black edging that was totally unintentional.. was I was attempting although maybe not quite a success was a kind of digital pour and stain effect but then headed off with the roller and well you know the rest of the story:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.. The title is from the book titled "Three Pillars of Zen" by Roshi Phillip Kapleau..

Weeks.. really ? you must check your taste in colors...:rolleyes::cool::cool::):):) thanks I am glad you like this... I am thinking I would like to explore this set of simple shapes and see what other things might come from it..:):)