PDA

View Full Version : PM - the last sign

gxhpainter2
04-04-2012, 04:47 AM
a not very good exploration of the ideas of Piet Mondrian , someone who's work I have overlooked in the past but finding increasingly interesting...I couldn't quite bring myself to limit the colors and go totally smooth for a finish..

pat1940
04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Gary I like this, it is quite different but that is the artist in you, always wanting to explore and thats what makes it great, very nice job:):):):):)

screenpainter
04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
I quite like your color choices. Also the attempt at contstructivism is successful as well imo. very pretty piece.

gxhpainter2
04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
pat and Albert. thanks guys I appreciate your indulgence as I chase down yet another trail... but this quote from Piet Mondrian was as true a statement as I could ever hope to say from my current perspective and artistic inclinations:

It is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true. (Piet Mondrian)

jibes
04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Textures and gradations make for a more interesting design so I think that is good. Reminds me of a window looking out on another building quite near.
Gary, I shall have to check this Mondrian.

Docsmith626
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
The great thing about Mondrian, particularly for composition geeks, is that his end point is a great beginning. Use his structures as a springboard. :D

EB
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I like it

Earle

Mairzie Dotes
04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
gxhpainter,
"PM - the last sign" has a bold, architectural design sense about it.
Impressive attention is payed to detailing and textures. A commanding
piece it is! :)

coops
04-05-2012, 12:32 AM
This is so very artistic Gary, the wonderful lines and colours are a treat to view. Well done:)

gxhpainter2
04-05-2012, 03:19 AM
katie.. thanks glad you like this exploration !

Mairzie - I love your comments!... they are always accurate and have a literary quality to them ... thanks!..

EB and Neal.. glad you like this experiment

DocSmith - not often I hear from you so this is a rare treat! and you are right I think Piet Mondrian is a great launch point. Not something I would have thought in the past but in reading some quotes from him I think I found a kindred spirit so I am more intrigued by him especially when to realize how long ago he was doing his works..

chinapete
04-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Mondrian is surface where you are depth, opaque where you are transparent, formal where you are fluid, neon where you are illuminated ... proof that opposites attract :)

Docsmith626
04-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Have a look at Kandinsky as well. The two techniques might well be combined to advantage. The combination should suggest some possibilities. ;)

wunjo
04-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I like it. Interesting construction and result.

wunjo
04-05-2012, 05:50 AM
I visited a Mondrian exhibition a few years back. I think one of the pictures being shown was 'Broadway Boogie Woogie' It was the first time i had seen his art in the flesh. I was very excited; i was suprised to see, close up, that the picture isn't so carefully painted. I previously imagined it to be very carefully finished. But it wasn't so. It was carefully designed (complex) but painted in a perfunctory/pragmatic/unsentimental manner. I found this liberating.

"People want Art. And they are given it. But the less Art there is in painting the more painting there is."

gxhpainter2
04-05-2012, 06:35 AM
thanks DocSmith.. I have been a fan of Kandinsky for a number of years and he has been a definite influence on my artistic thinking.:):):)

wunjo - wow are you lucky... seeing the works up close brings a whole other dimension.. seeing a flat print you lose the perception of how the paint was applied and in Mondrian's case it sounds like it was far from machine like... thanks so much for sharing that insight.. that is amazing..:cool::cool::cool::):)

chinapete... interesting analogies and observations... I will have to think that over..:);)

wunjo
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Yes i was lucky. I felt privileged as you do when you get to see something world-class and historic.

I've thought a bit more about what i wrote earlier. .. In terms of Mondrian's painting vis-a-vis De Stijl, think what was most important was the code..the theory. Whereas in other types of painting, it's all about sensuality and finesse in itself. Classical realism.

I quoted Picasso just for one person's reaction during a certain era. I like his stance but i also like (am in awe of) painting by Stubbs, Caravaggio etc.