PDA

View Full Version : Untitled ...

chinapete
04-01-2012, 01:49 PM
... for Lima, who asked, and for anyone who wants to offer a name for this orphan ...

gxhpainter2
04-02-2012, 08:07 AM
chinapete... I really like this and several right brain associations popped in..actually the first thing was "shroud of Turin"... the dark stains and the bloodstain red may have caused that.. So the concept of a shroud was so strongly implanted I had a difficult time shaking that.. so eventually I came to "shroud of the innocent" and all the associations with lost innocence.. I am probably way off the mark as to your real intention here but had to let you know where this took me..:):cool::cool: I am reading "Warmth of Other Suns" by Isabel Wilkerson and that has had a marked darkening effect on me ..

pat1940
04-02-2012, 08:59 AM
China, my first thought was Golden Darkness, the beautiful golds and red against the black, very nice work:):):)

eighty+
04-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi Pete How does a side of beef hanging in the chiller suit you :eek::D:D

Shibui
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I do really love this. To me it looks like a Scan of some sort , but probably not a veryy good title.

P. D. Dinkles
04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Peering Through the Brame

D Akey
04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Are you back from your trip now? I thought you were leaving for a while. Anyway, nice bunches of paintings that you have posted and deleted. I didn't comment thinking you were away.

Anyway, heavy stuff. Very artistic. Very 'by the flickering smoking light inside the yurt'. I can just hear the antlers cracking wise. :D Yes. . . I think the gods are laughing at us all.

This alludes to the binary dualistic view of life. Yin Yang, Creative Receptive, Active Passive, Male Female, 0 and 1. . . red and green traffic signals. . .

A thousand titles come to mind.

I only ever looked into the coins, never the yarrow sticks. I even had a friend program a random generator that used the same chances of three coins tossed. I was looking to see if the same principle of the waves that flow out from the center that govern the motion of less sentient stuff would include the random generated numbers from a computer. I have no definitive answer since it's all very general and open to interpretation anyway.

So by it not being holdable to the scrutiny of scientific repeatability, I came to look at it like many other ways of accessing what is within by introducing a springboard combined with wisdom, including a book falling open to a particular passage etc. But. . . it does have deep tradition and I think that as an overlay to a current situation offers much on many levels. . . not least of which is a possible way to access archetypes and collective consciousness. Like getting into the Muse's backstage dressing room after the show. Best take some flowers and champagne.

Very cool.

chinapete
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks, everyone, for suggestive titles, all of which give me insights into how others see what I've done, and of course reveal a little more about your personalities, hehe ... Gary, I hadn't thought of fabric, but as soon as you said it, I began to see it ... Unrelated to this fragment, I've been exploring a famous theme in the tradition, The Massacre of the Innocents, trying to see how I could simplify that idea away from Rubens and others, to make it relevant today ... Pat, if I could achieve that fiery moment at sunset as it is depicted in some early Netherlandish paintings, I'd stop painting (for better or for worse, neither will happen) ... eighty+, how did you guess, there actually is a companion to this painting, I'll be posting it soon along with the title for the diptych, "Beef and Chips," hehe ... Shibui, it's interesting that "scan" is a word I associate with the written text, poetry especially, and points to rhythm ... PDD, the narrowed field of vision does give the effect of peering in, but I don't know what a "brame" is, if it is a thing ...

D Akey, I'm about as back as Schrödinger's cat ... Did you know that in his description of that famous thought-experiment, Schrödinger offers a rather "artistic" illustration of indeterminacy at various levels of observation: "There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks" ... The ghost postings fell victim to indecision ... I put up sth and then later look at it on the computer and realize it's all wrong, have to take it down, revise, re-vision ... The thing about the I Ching is that meaning is found not in the final state, not in any six fixed lines, but in the change lines, which virtually guarantee you will never receive the same reading twice, even if the end states are the same ...

D Akey
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
D Akey, I'm about as back as Schrödinger's cat ... Did you know that in his description of that famous thought-experiment, Schrödinger offers a rather "artistic" illustration of indeterminacy at various levels of observation: "There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks" ... The ghost postings fell victim to indecision ... I put up sth and then later look at it on the computer and realize it's all wrong, have to take it down, revise, re-vision ... The thing about the I Ching is that meaning is found not in the final state, not in any six fixed lines, but in the change lines, which virtually guarantee you will never receive the same reading twice, even if the end states are the same ...

. . .Which makes in impossible to put under the scientific lens. Not only that, but the situation and person(s) change every time, even if the same person asks the same question. We are in flux and ever changing. And I personally have no problem with that being a constant -- that is the consistency of the inconsistent. And to talk of it further would be a huge personal digression and this is your show.

Anyway, fascinating points you make. And I am ashamed to say that although I am aware of the book by Heinlein, I never read it. Heck I think I even have it on a shelf somewhere or in digital form. That cat keeps popping up in intelligent conversations so I really should read it.

As to the revision, yeah, I do that all the time with my posts. I often see where I jumped to far and need to go back and bridge the gaps between my 'therefores'. What seems perfectly apparent to me would not to others as I reread something I might have said. And that voids my comment. So I get neurotic about clarity since conversations like this make it really fun for me getting clear in my own head. However, since it's about crystallizing vague ideas, I spend an inordinate amount of time posting and editing.

I see no difference with paintings that are supposed to say something, as in your case or with others' work that rely heavily on abstraction. Art in abstraction can almost be a re-enactment of inventing a new language process as with the fissures becoming written symbols leading to writing and reading.

Similarly, as you point out with the change lines, there can never be the same picture from person to person, change to change, moment to moment. And therein is some fun for the artist, to play with that while keeping the audience interested.

So I use writing like you probably use painting. :D

Caesar
04-03-2012, 01:14 AM
What about "living flesh" with all its implications?

chinapete
04-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Cesare, it's a rich association -- La Parola divenne uomo -- comes to mind, it's a bit of a cultural tragedy that certain powerful central images now exist only at the margins of our awareness, maybe unconsciously I am tapping into them ...

chinapete
04-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Posting the fraternal twin for this orphan ... everyone has family, hehe ...

eighty+
04-04-2012, 04:52 AM
blimey Pete looks if he moved as the gilleteen blade come down think

there should be a u in there somewhere :D:D:D:D:D:D:D---- E/S

Lima
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Chinapete, thank you for this interesting post. Most propably DAkey is correct when he says "there can never be the same picture from person to person, change to change, moment to moment". Certainly this untitled exercise might not have worked... because any interpretation will not cover or represent the moments this painting was conceived. We end up with an exercise of pareidolia and guess... for instance, my best interpretation is that the painting represents an open traumatic femuro-tibial distortion. The reddish luminosity and the form of the main image reminds me of that. Any way... we still don't know the real name of it. Great painting Pete.

chinapete
04-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello Lima, and thank you ... from my vantage point, the exercise worked well, perhaps others on this forum, or you yourself, will also be encouraged to post untitled works ... in this way, one's work becomes a kind of "open text," to borrow a phrase from Umberto Eco ...

... the study I posted truly is untitled, but you may find its genesis interesting ... for another series I'm working on, I was looking for a painting that combined the elements of Fire and Water, and I found it in Turner's Peace--Burial at Sea, a rather dramatic example, and I think if you look at that painting you will see the fire between the narrowing black frames of the splitting ship, and you may recognize a few of those details in my "untitled" ...

http://www.artinthepicture.com/paintings/William_Turner/Peace-Burial-at-Sea/

... as I focused in and combined visual details, the red of the fire looked like blood on cloth, not at all my intention, but I left it as is, because at that point I was very far from my starting point, no chance to circle back ... accidentally, it looked right ...

btw, I haven't come across the word "pareidolia" since I read Derrida's Truth in Painting, La Vérité en peinture, a lifetime ago ...

jibes
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
The first is a happy red bunny but the second is indescribable. :)
They are very interesting indeed.

Weeks
04-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Very emotional and complex, Chinapete ! Great !

Best,

Weeks

screenpainter
04-07-2012, 06:41 PM
ghosts drift in and out. approaching the frame through which we look. one at a time they drift in and out from a nether world. they take a form and then vanish the same way they appeared. drifting in and out. perhaps I would call them visitors. I and visitors II
interesting realms you hang in. :)

chinapete
04-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks, SP, Weeks and Jibes ...

SP, "visitors" ... is it because the ephemeral is beyond command, is that why Ahab exhausted himself chasing a ghostly whale? ...

"but thy eternal summer shall not fade / nor lose possession ..."