PDA

View Full Version : The Face for the NOSE

mannafig
03-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch aka Sherlock holmes:D
From BBC1 TV series.

Here is the rest of his face to go with the nose that I done.
Hope you like it:):)

chinapete
03-19-2012, 07:10 AM
very intense expression ...

screenpainter
03-19-2012, 08:06 AM
well drawn. I love how you interpreted the texture of his jacket... sweet idea. and the hair is really finely drawn.

barnburner
03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
The photo is sadly lacking in comparison to this brilliant job you have done here Amanda. I'm simply in awe. :):):):)

limey-g
03-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice job Amanda, love the hair and the detail in the coat.
Geoff

SCP
03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Great work Amanda,details,textures and likeness is fantastic!:eek::):):)

Caesar
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
You set up a really wonderful assembly line, dear Amanda! :p
I mean, You first get a nose, then a kit with the rest of the parts and You finally assemble and deliver an amazing outcome as this one! :eek::cool::):):):):):) Looking to this handsome guy, Dr. Frankenstein did much worse than You for sure! :D
I'm in awe!

silvy
03-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Awesome work Amanda:):)

mannafig
03-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Thank you dear Chinpete:):)

Screen Thank you so much:):)

Dear Mike you are always so kind thank you:):)

Dear Geoff thank you:):)

Thank you so very much dear Scott:):)

Thank you dear Cesare this is one of those ones that took longer than normal to complete but overall I am happy with how he turned out especially as males are not usually my first port of call for a portrait.:):)
poor Frankenstein he did his best Hehe Thanks again dear friend:D:D

Thank you dear Silvy:):)

coops
03-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Stunning work Amanda very well done:)

Lima
03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Great work Manna. :eek:

Alexandra
03-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Great work Amanda. You've captured his intense expression.

pat1940
03-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Amanda, this is wonderful, love how you captured his looks, great job:):):)

eighty+
03-21-2012, 06:05 AM
hi Manfig see you found the head :eek: did the nose fit ok or did you have to bash it around a bit ??? :confused:

thought the last bloke was better as Sherlock

D Akey
03-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Very nice, Mannafig :):):) I love it. Very well done.

It resembles him quite nicely.

Just one little follow up comment about your values. As one would to do a study, you drew the nose out of context I presume, which is not the normal way you will do a painting/drawing. It's rather clever how you went back and finished a complete drawing.

Now then, a photo retoucher's trick is that when you attach or superimpose parts together, please bear in mind how much dark you have in there relative to the rest of the picture. Does that make sense?

The light side of the face is very light and economically depicted in your drawing, which infers a certain amount and direction of light that reduces the detail (in the context of your style). But you're aiming at two different targets slightly. When you are doing a free floating nose as a study, the info may be fine for the study, but perhaps too much info in the context of the face.

So we normally come in with more darks as you have in the nose and immediately surrounding area because with it too edited back it doesn't really describe it as well as it might without the extra info. But back in a face with all that context present, one doesn't need it, and it has to fit relative to everything else.

So in this one it's a little darker than is warranted in this case, and you could lighten it some and perhaps edit it back a wee bit in places. And that was what my original comment was about, knowledgeably eliminating bits, but leaving essential in the perfect place and amount. This way when the viewer's mind completes the picture by filling in automatically what the artist left out, you have aimed them perfectly so they can do it.

It's a thing all artists deal with all the time. But it's not a real problem in your drawing. I'm using it to illustrate the concept that from knowing what you do, having examined the structure this well, you can then back off from so much info, yet rather adroitly put in only what is necessary with precision and economy.

Brava! It looks marvelous. I love the hair and all the other details you put into this one. Carry on and back to the beautiful girls, says I. . . :D:):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

AT-TA
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Gosh, this is gorgeous Amanda.

Belvrog
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Wonderfully done Amanda. Good likenesss!! I also really like how you did the pattern of the cloths. Congrats !!!

greenstone55
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
how much effort and time you have exert to do like this wonderful work of art? i like the detail of hair.

Caesar
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
... I wonder if You kept for Yourself all the other pieces of Your assembly kit in view of a more private completion ... :D

mannafig
03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Thank you my dear Katie:):)

Thank you Lima:):)

My dearest Sandy thank you:):)

Thank you dear Pat:):)

Hi dear Eighty I had to squeeze it a bit but I got it to stick in the end:p:D:D
Thank you dear friend:):)

Thank you so much dear mr D Akey:):)
Your comment is very helpful and I am very thankful for all the advise you have given me.
Very well kind sir do you have any requests as to wich beauty should be next:D:D

Thank you dear AT:):)

Thank you very much dear Belv:):)

This was one of my longer pieces being on and off for almost a week
Thank you Greenstone:):)

Haha no not this time dear Cesare:D:D

D Akey
03-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Thank you so much dear mr D Akey:):)
Your comment is very helpful and I am very thankful for all the advise you have given me.
Very well kind sir do you have any requests as to which beauty should be next:D:D

WOW! and WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!! How very charming of you to offer, and I accept!

I will give you a short array from which to choose. I surfed a little and stumbled on this, and thought it might suit your style very nicely. Plus it might give you some further ideas for yourself. I never heard of this photographer before just now. The fact that he showed up in a search for someone for you to paint sort of said this was right for ya. Andy Julia is the photographer.

Even if you don't do this exactly, the style suggests itself, how he adds bits and bobs of color. And he really makes use of the paper white skin tones. And the combination of the two might suggest how you can add color to your drawings without it becoming a painting.

No artist or photographer is born in a vacuum and we are constantly being influenced by others. This I think is a nice one whose chops you can perhaps absorb and turn into your own eventually. First step is to do it as you see it. I hope this looks fun to you. :):):):):)

But I rather like the first one on the page.

http://pixzii.com/professionals-collection/glamour-photography-porcelain-dolls-by-andy-julia/

S5T68IS2TA
03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
This is really a neatly done job, no matter how much time it took you to achieve. A wonderful piece of art.

mannafig
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Very well kind sir I will take your choice and do my best for you.:D:):)

Thank you very much S5T68IS2TA:):)