PDA

View Full Version : laptop/wacom- Comfortable setup/studio?

ukoa
03-09-2012, 05:04 AM
I'm using an Alienware laptop and a Bamboo Create with ArtRage.
I just got the Bamboo Create yesterday and today is the first day of trying to use it.
But, I'm struggling with being comfortable and being close enough to the screen to see what I'm doing.

I've always just sat on the couch with the laptop on my lap but this doesn't work well when trying to paint.
I have a desk in the bedroom but I really don't want to be stuffed back there. I want to be in the living room where everything is. Music, TV, life... ;)

What sort of setups do others use? Special trays or anything to make things easier and more productive?

Thanks
-Scott

ukoa
03-18-2012, 03:01 AM
mmhhmm all good ideas....

After doing some searching I found a discussion similar to this on another site and people uploaded pics of their setup. got a few ideas and they posted links to some cool laptop stands for this sort of thing.

Would have been cool to have our own discussion on this matter.

cripster
03-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I've setup my 32" tv as an monaitar so i can see what i'm doing when i use my wacom tablet.

ukoa
03-18-2012, 09:44 AM
See, now that's an awesome setup!
Thanks man!

cripster
03-18-2012, 10:22 AM
i use the tablet about 3 feet away and its really cool.

ukoa
03-18-2012, 02:48 PM
This is the setup I'm using right now. I don't really like it because anyone sitting on the couch is facing me because the tv is next to me. I feel like I'm being watched. I don't paint unless I'm alone.
Not convenient..
I would much rather sit on the couch and paint.

cripster
03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Could you turn the table around?

ukoa
03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I did consider that but it would really look like crap.
I live with my girlfriend and her two girls.
I'm really outnumbered... ;)

Someonesane
03-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Set the Laptop on a TV dinner table, and the Drawing tablet on your lap (use a pillow if the tablet is to low). Worked fine for me, when I had a laptop.

ukoa
03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Thank you Someonesane, I did try that and may end up going back to it. I wanted to experiment was various setups first though.
It's nice to know that others are or had been using that setup.

Steve B
03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Just to throw a wrench in the conversation, but if you're interested in mobility (like drawing on the couch) then you might want to look into a used talbet pc. You could get a used Lenovo x200t or a HP 2730p or a Fujitsu t5010 for about 500$, or something like a slightly older Lenovo x61t for 250$. Fully functional core2duo laptop with a Wacom screen inside. Flip it around, and you've got a thick slate. Draw right on the couch, or anywhere. They've only got 256 levels of pressure and you loose the nice big screen size that you've got in your current set up, but mobility is really an asset. Might be worth thinking of as an optional addition to your digital arsenal- sort of like a "Hey, I want to draw but everyones around-- time to use the tablet pc" kind of idea.

I love mine, and couldn't imagine being tied down to only working at a desktop. Easily one of the best tech purchases I've ever made, IMO.

ukoa
03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
That a really cool idea. I like the freedom of it.
Really can't spend any more money right now but it's something to think about for the future.
Thanks!

GaryExo
05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Scott, would something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Computer-Portable-Multifuctional-Ergonomics/dp/B002LNVMIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336903437&sr=8-1) help?
I'm considering something like this as I too am having difficulty getting comfortable with my laptop and Intuos4.

Gary

Suni Roveto
07-28-2012, 05:28 AM
This AIR DESK looks like the best solution. I don't have one YET but sure

Could not add the link ( new user) but Google 'Air Desk' to find their site.

senhorlampada
12-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Hey guys... maybe David Revoy's article can help...

Check this out... :)

w w w .davidrevoy.com/?article30/ergonomic-of-graphics-tablets