PDA

View Full Version : .arpack Traditional Media Surfaces

Juz
03-08-2012, 04:48 PM

*WC is short for Watercolour ;)

Note: All papers in the pack are currently set to white so you'll need to colour them yourself.
Also if you already have downloaded my coloured papers pack you will not need to install the 'Juz Pastel Paper.cpr' or the 'Toothy' paper grain (just click the tick mark on the right of these files to deselect them from the install)

Download the file here (about 7meg):-
http://www.silicongraffiti.com/TMSurfaces.zip

screenpainter
03-08-2012, 04:55 PM
thanks so much for sharing these.
you had given me the parchment preset way back when and it is probably one of the best watercolor papers out there!
now I can share it. yay! :)
thanks for the rest of the set. tried them already and as usual your papers rock! thanks again Juz.

Juz
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks mate, if there's any 'tweaking' needed on any of them let me know :):)

screenpainter
03-08-2012, 05:43 PM
exceptional. they are great papers. they really match their intended tools and get some neat effects with other tools as well. here's my initial sampling. they're great. a welcome addition to the artrage program.

MSIE
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
awesome! thanks a lot, Juz! :)

Juz
03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
thanks folks :D

@ GZ thanks for the paper demo, really helpful in showing people what they can expect from the pack :):)

fmc
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you Juz

screenpainter
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
These and the other drawing paper set you made should be default papers in ArtRage 4. I am hoping this will become a reality. Time for a revamp in that arena for sure. same old canvases for years now and these are exceptional and I am hoping they contact you about it. yotex as well.

Micmac
03-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Thaks for the packadge Juz

QUESTION
In watercolor it seams that different papers only has an effect on the edge of the stoke.

I dont think it is that way in real life.

Is it an Artrage technology thing?

Michael

Edit:

Seams I dont get the results that ScreenPanter does. Maybe I use the papers wrongly?
I use "Edit Layer Textuere..." In layers palette.

justjean
03-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks , wonderful papers

Lima
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Dear Juz, terrific... thank you really very much.

screenpainter
03-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Thaks for the packadge Juz

Seems I dont get the results that ScreenPanter does. Maybe I use the papers wrongly?
I use "Edit Layer Textuere..." In layers palette.

I am actually setting the overall canvas texture on these and not just the layer textures. when you just edit layer texture the actual canvas texture you have selected can still show through. canvas texture is changed from the menu on the layers palette where you will find canvas textures. you can also use keyboard shortcut control shift c. or access canvas textures from the toolbar menu as well. canvas texture sets the texture for the whole painting and layer texture sets texture for individual layers. hope that helps.

also keep in mind that I sometimes used chalk on the left to highlight the texture and watercolor on the right.
for marker paper I used the felt pen with a preset marker I use.

screenpainter
03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
my purpose was really to show off the grains really and not the particular mediums.
but... for those that would like to know what mediums I used to get these results...

for canvas roughen I used watercolor and some chalk 2% pressure to bring out the grain.
for canvas soft cotten I used an oil brush preset I have shared in art supplies called a big oil wash. I also used a little chalk 2% to bring out the grain.
for marker paper I used a felt pen marker presets called art brush and one called soft pastel. they have been previously shared in art supplies.
for newsprint I used chalk set to 2% and crayon.
for pastel paper I used crayon or chalk on the left and watercolor on the right. for sandpaper I used chalk and over layed watercolor upper right.
for sketchbook paper I used pencil presets that have been shared by me in art supplies section.
for WC cotton rag I used chalk on the left and watercolor on the right.
for WC Fine I used colored pencil preset on the left and watercolor on the right. for parchment it is just three watercolor presets.

Juz
03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks so much fmc, Michael, JustJean and Oriane :):)

@GZ, Albert I can't thank you enough for your high praise and considerable contribution to this thread. YOU ROCK M8 :D:D

@Michael
Here is a side by side comparison of the same brush/settings used on canvas (left) and as a layer texture (right).

If you're experiencing a different result between the two ... make sure you have 'use canvas texture' off in your edit texture dialog.

Digital Watercolour is a very different animal from real world watercolours currently and there are many dedicated threads in the 'Tips and Tricks' section where enthusiasts are trying to nut out how to achieve an effect that simulates what they can get in the real world. They are well worth a look. Many effects in the real world have to be 'fudged' in digital... eg/ dripping watercolour, salt effects, sponged and splattered effects.

Using mixed media like GZ's examples can help achieve 'that certain look' (a pixel is a pixel so we don't have to be purists about strictly using 'watercolour' if something else will give the watercolour effect we seek quicker and easier ;):D).

Both edge bleed and the paint area itself are affected by a combination of the tool settings and the paper grain type used. Here is a very obvious example.

How much contrast there is in the grain file will determine how affected the interior paint areas are. High contrast will yield more dramatic results and low contrast will give much more subtle effects. You can also try increasing the 'roughess' setting in the edit texture dialog a little higher to see if the paper reacts with the paint more to your liking.

If you can, uplink an example (photo or scan), or link to an example of what your trying to accomplish either in this thread or in the Tips and Tricks section. It may be a simple matter of providing you with a paper grain that has more contrast or it may be that your looking for an effect that could be best achieved another way. The community here is wonderfully helpful and i'm confident that a way can be found to emulate what you desire. :):)

Letha
03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
These are great. Thanks!

Boxy
05-13-2012, 08:14 PM
These look great Juz. The link appears broken, can I get them from somewhere else?
Cheers

Weeks
05-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Thank you Juz. Great text to use.

Best,

Weeks

hypotaxis
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks! These are great canvases.

Brett

Boxy
05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
The link worked second time I tried, they are great! Thanks.

GaryExo
05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Some of those look rather good. Thank you.

screenpainter
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
bringing this set by Juz forward. it is an invaluable set. love it.

DHarris58
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
What happened to the link? I get a File Not Found

MSIE
02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
What happened to the link? I get a File Not Found

I got the original file when Juz opened this thread and the canvases are really nice! So I've put the file in my dropbox - get it here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34840889/TMSurfaces.zip).
I am just re-sharing the file, the canvases are created by Juz. Thanks again Juz, and I hope this is ok for you!

hypotaxis
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you! These are great!

Brett

Juz
02-17-2013, 01:07 PM
@MSIE, thanks for the emergency backup ;)

Sorry about that folks, had to bring the server down for a little while today.
Everything is back up and functioning normally....nothing to see here :p;)

MSIE
02-17-2013, 01:58 PM
no problem Juz :)
I was hoping to see your papers as default canvases in the new AR4 ... oh well ;)

Rowena
02-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Many, many thanks and much praise for your fine Papers Juz!!!! :cool:
..and while I love all the new delights of the upgrade, its rather tedious to have to scrounge around to find all all the grains and brushes that have been wiped out as a result; ..and like Gz - I wish your papers were default :D

MSIE
02-18-2013, 02:49 AM
..and while I love all the new delights of the upgrade, its rather tedious to have to scrounge around to find all all the grains and brushes that have been wiped out as a result

you don't have to! there is an super easy way to get ALL of your custom files like presets, stickers, paper grains, shortcuts etc into AR4 without having to hunt them down in the forums and reinstall again :)

check this FAQ by Matt --> ArtRage-4-How-to-copy-over-ArtRage-3-Custom-Resources (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?43480-ArtRage-4-How-to-copy-over-ArtRage-3-Custom-Resources)

hope this helps :)

screenpainter
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
had to revisit and bump this thread. these are invaluable papers created by Juz.

deb5253
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much from a newbie user of Artrage!

jonipony
09-22-2016, 08:52 PM

*WC is short for Watercolour ;)

Note: All papers in the pack are currently set to white so you'll need to colour them yourself.
Also if you already have downloaded my coloured papers pack you will not need to install the 'Juz Pastel Paper.cpr' or the 'Toothy' paper grain (just click the tick mark on the right of these files to deselect them from the install)

Download the file here (about 7meg):-
silicongraffiti .com/ TMSurfaces .zip

When I try to download files from the link above I get the following message...

Anyone have trouble with these downloads?

HannahRage
09-23-2016, 01:14 AM
Your security program *might* just not like .zip files or recognise the .arpack file type (as only ArtRage uses it) - are you able to download any others without problems?

I've downloaded that specific file myself without issues, though I can't guarantee you're getting exactly the same one, of course.

Enug
09-23-2016, 01:58 AM
Your antivirus software must be giving you a false positive. I have download this package from this same site with no problems.

jonipony
09-24-2016, 04:57 AM
Your security program *might* just not like .zip files or recognise the .arpack file type (as only ArtRage uses it) - are you able to download any others without problems?

I've downloaded that specific file myself without issues, though I can't guarantee you're getting exactly the same one, of course.

I have downloaded other .zip and .arpack files with no warning showing up. I will have to try again. Thank you for your input on this issue.