PDA

View Full Version : Rough seas and coastline

chinapete
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Based on 17th c. Dutch paintings, minus the boats ... iPad, fine canvas, variety of tools and blends, one layer ...

D Akey
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
They sank in this storm, ships overloaded with trade goods. The gunwales were too low. What cavalier greed does to us. . .

Feels to me a little like a dark tonal intro to a concert. . .

pat1940
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Beautiful blending, I like it:):):)

Caesar
03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
... and it makes me feel in a sort of Dutch Roll after a joyful little drink... :D I like the subtle, gaseous strokes here.

gxhpainter2
03-06-2012, 05:28 AM
chinapete..interesting soft tonality but sumptuous colors..very classical in feeling.

chinapete
03-06-2012, 05:45 AM
thanks, everyone ...

I used to show "Morte a Venezia" (Death in Venice) in a film class, just so students could see how Visconti was able to paint in film ... Also to let them hear Mahler ... As the prelude took six hours to paint, there was no one left standing, or sitting, to listen to a concerto :-)

Weeks
03-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Chinapete,
Very interesting work. Very well done for me.

Best,

Weeks

chinapete
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Weeks ...

You know, when I was living in New York, I'd go straight to the Met to see Juan de Parera, I'd look at it for hours ... I never saw anyone trying to copy it, and I certainly didn't dare ... Now I know it can be done ...

Steve B
03-14-2012, 04:08 AM
This is very wet, very full of water. Love it. Are you just using Oils and smooth mixers to get these affects? The colors are rather opaque, which says oil, but the affect is so wet it says watercolor to me. I understand its all digital, but its an effect worth pondering.

chinapete
03-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Steve, thanks for asking ... "Rough seas" was done almost exclusively with the chalk tool, and I may have added a very thin (<10% opaque) oil wash ... The chalk is brushed out with the Nomad brush, repeatedly until the desired effects are achieved ...

Steve B
03-14-2012, 06:45 AM
I take it the Nomad Brush is something only found on the Ipad or the Iphone? One of the issues I've had with the Chalk tool in Artrage is that it doesn't have a pressure>scale relationship, only a pressure>opacity one. You seem to be getting a lot of movement in the lines here, etc. which is nice.

chinapete
03-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Yes, the Nomad brush is capacitive synthetic and real fiber brush stylus for the iPad and iPhone ... One advantage is virtually friction-free movement across the surface of the iPad ... Apart from the local benefit of being able to stand up and paint digitally (I have the iPad mounted on one of my easels), in the larger scheme of things, the movement of the artist's whole hand and entire body can be applied to digital painting, or at least that's an ideal to strive for ...

There are other stylus-brushes coming to market, many have been reviewed on this forum, the Sensu for example, the Jot Touch ...